What is the deal with Corgan ?

Disputed leaders of grunge flavored alternative rock.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

What is the deal with Corgan ?

Post by PunkingtonGrunge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:51 pm

I did a bit of reading about Billy Corgan, and quite honestly; i'm miffed. What is his deal ? Is he a complicated guy or just genuine dick ? Bashing transgenders, bashing soundgarden, bashing pavement, what is he doing ?
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Schneider
Grunge God

Re: What is the deal with Corgan ?

Post by Schneider » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm

He's just a complete git. Maybe because his band sucks.

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of smashing pumpkins myself either, but the level of corgan's arrogance suggests that surely there must be something good about them ...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm

I actually really love The Smashing Pumpkins, one of my favorite bands. I think Corgan is just a bit full of himself and has a problem with not thinking before he speaks. He has a big ego and I think that the fact that he isn't really relevant anymore has made things worse. It seems like in earlier interviews he seemed more approachable and genuine, now he seems like a dick.

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I heard he was turning to christian rock (if i'm not mistaken) ... it kinda seems like a last cry for help :?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Hes kind of an unfunny Johnny Rotten. I'm sure social awkwardness has a lot to do with it. He got famous for making music not for public speaking...people listening to whatever you have to say just kind of comes with the territory. Maybe he figures he'll try to be controversial to get some more attention because other then that he wants his music to speak for itself and he has little else to say so its just become is go to act. There is a good chance that he stays away from watching or reading his own interviews.

theLeopard
Grunge master

Post by theLeopard » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:15 pm

their cover of landslide was pristine, but (please correct me if i'm wrong here) didn't james iha write the guitar track for that?
Silvergun Superman wrote:music is becoming WAY too mainstream.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 pm

No, Billy figured that out by himself, although in the liner notes of Pisces Iscariot he wrote that somebody else (although not James) showed him a much easier way to play it - of course, after he had figured out his own, more complicated way.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

theLeopard
Grunge master

Post by theLeopard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 am

did james iha do anything for that band or was it really just billy and some backup musicians for live shows?
he replaced the drummer with a synthesizer at the end there. :|

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am

Well, he did write literally one or two songs himself and got as many (...) co-writing credits (Mayonaise and I Am One come to mind), but really not much more. Largely because Billy's ego was too big to accept different songwriters. In the new Aeroplane Flies High edition Corgan admits that he wasn't willing to accept stuff brought in by James because it couldn't match his quality criteria (...), resulting in James keeping the "good stuff" for himself to be eventually released on his solo album "Let It Come Down". Personally, I think especially James' Mellon Collie b-sides are of stellar quality, things like The Boy or Believe are fantastic, timeless numbers that rank high among my all time faves. And hands down, had I been in James' position at some moment I would have stopped exposing myself to Billy's scorn as well.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:01 am

perhaps in between showing them to the band and releasing them they were retooled and did greatly improve...who knows. Some people work well together as songwriters or as a team and some people just don't click no matter the quality of the material. Some people are fine having no creative input at all (or even going so far as to be in cover bands) and sometimes the most creative tallented people are quiet and stay to the background and never share anything in their early bands and one day hopefully break out and do something amazing. The inner workings of a band are weird to observe no matter from what side your seeing it.

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:00 pm

I actually dig the pumpkins, but this guy is a pain in the ass!!!

theLeopard
Grunge master

Post by theLeopard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:13 am

incessantmace wrote:eventually released on his solo album "Let It Come Down".
i'll give it a listen, thanks boss

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Isn't it funny that we have not one but two threads on the Billy issue and now the news thread is turning into one as well?:weird:

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:57 pm

if he stopped being an arsehole for one bloody second maybe we wouldn't have to :lol: