Will the original Pumpkins lineup reunite?

Disputed leaders of grunge flavored alternative rock.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 am

Personally, I don't see it at all really, but you still can dream...
Its been a rather strange week or two in the BillCo department, even by his standards. Billy spontaneously announced to the press that he no longer considers himself “Billy” Corgan, but instead William. After years of tearing apart his former bandmates in the original Smashing Pumpkins lineup, Corgan suddenly seems to be having a change of heart and has been doing nothing but singing praises about them. He’s even going as far as borderline criticizing the current lineup, consisting of Jeff Schroeder on guitar, Nicole Florentino on bass, and Mike Byrne on drums, hinting that the band’s current incarnation may be coming to an end.

Here’s just a sample of his musings over the past few weeks:

“I’ve been morphing for awhile, I’m going to go William now.”

“I don’t really know what makes sense any more. I think you have to come to a place where you say, if you continue you continue with a particular vision, not keep rolling with the tide. Because the tide as it is I don’t think it’s that great. I’m not saying that the audience isn’t great, or that the band isn’t great. Something about it all feels a little too nicey nice. I’m not in a rock and roll band to be nicey nice, it’s just not my thing.”

“I think it’s a shame that James and I, by the time we got to Mellon Collie, our relationship had deteriorated to the point where we weren’t working that way any more because I think that contribution with us together would have made Mellon Collie and other albums after that better albums. In a way that if you put Jimmy Chamberlin and me in a room, good things happen. To this day I miss D’arcy’s sense of integrity, but it’s not like the integrity of the indie world, she had a certain kind of musical taste, I think is the best way to put it, that I still respect.”

The 46 year old Pumpkins frontman has obviously come to some sort of a junction point in his life. Maybe its a sudden realization that he will be hitting the big 50 soon. The subtle change from “Billy” to “William” is representative of his evolution, the somewhat childish connotation of the nickname Billy being replaced with the somewhat more regal and mature sounding William. He’s reevaluating the importance of those in his life, perhaps realizing he took the supposedly “terrible” years with the original SP lineup for granted.

Some have interpreted his statements as being about his retirement from the music industry, but I think he’s rebuilding bridges to prepare for the eventual reunion of the classic Smashing Pumpkins lineup. He’s obviously on the apology circuit, and is quick to compliment his former bandmates at any chance. Last year, before the release of Oceania, BillCo was quick to call James Iha the “worst human being he’s ever met”, and now he’s trying to make it seem as if their fractured relationship is something he regrets.

I’m guessing many will probably call Billy out on being selfish for getting rid of his current young bandmates in the process, but I believe it would be for the best. The new band members are very talented in their own right, and I don’t think they should waste their potential by living on the coattails of another person’s success. Nicole Fiorentino already has her first major project outside The Smashing Pumpkins, The Cold and Lovely, releasing their first record in a few weeks. Mike Byrne is only 23 and is probably one of the most awesome rock music success stories of recent years, being picked by Billy to drum for the band at the age of 19 while he was working at McDonald’s. Guitarist Jeff Schroeder played in a few obscure bands prior to joining the SP.

So, in a sense, Billy has effectively cultivated the careers of three young musicians who will be free to do whatever they want if they are let go, whether it be doing their own projects or even staying as a unit and recruiting a new lead singer and renaming the band. In a sense, it would be a hypothetical win-win scenario: we get the classic Smashing Pumpkins lineup and we get a talented young rock band, which is desperately needed nowadays.

Of course, this is all speculation. For all we know, the classic lineup will tell Billy to fuck off, though I doubt they’d pass up the money associated with a reunion tour and album. But I have a feeling something big in the BillCo department will be happening in the near future…
Source: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=32813
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Scarabola
Grunge God

Re:

Post by Scarabola » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 am

no.

KingOfTheHorseflies
Grunge guru

Re: Will the original Pumpkins lineup reunite?

Post by KingOfTheHorseflies » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:04 am

Has he really lost it, or is it the opposite?

I'm going to try to quote a book from bad memory: It's a dream of a hope of minuscule chance, but if it works out it will be worth it.
Maybe we are getting our hopes up but this would be a really awesome thing. At least if we had Jimmy back it would be that much better.

Even if he did get the band back together, would his songwriting be as good as when he wrote the first three albums?
"King of the horseflies, dark prince of death..." Where Boys Fear to Tread
MCIS 8-bit

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 am

No.
Saw them live last month. I was disappointed.
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 am

KingOfTheHorseflies wrote:Has he really lost it, or is it the opposite?

I'm going to try to quote a book from bad memory: It's a dream of a hope of minuscule chance, but if it works out it will be worth it.
Maybe we are getting our hopes up but this would be a really awesome thing. At least if we had Jimmy back it would be that much better.

Even if he did get the band back together, would his songwriting be as good as when he wrote the first three albums?
Billy can only produce songs of greatness if he has good sidemen. I just recently bought the Aeroplane Deluxe edition and was quite puzzled when he said James should have fought harder for his songs that he believed in. So if Billy doesn't have people by his side who push him by posing a threat to his artistic dictatorship he'll wimp out and basically write crap.

I'm all in for an original lineup reunion, if only to seem them once again. (The only time I saw them was in 2000 when Melissa had already taken over for D'arcy. I think D'arcy is pretty much fucked up in terms of drugs and other problems though.)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

KingOfTheHorseflies
Grunge guru

Post by KingOfTheHorseflies » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much of her anymore. But it's good to see Jimmy doing okay.
This whole thing reminds me of a lyric from Thirty-three: "Deep in thought I forgive everyone"
MCIS 8-bit

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 am

Who knows with "William" now. It's good to make amends with his former bandmates, so that's a start.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Billy and his Ego never broke up and aren't the two of them really the original line up?

KingOfTheHorseflies
Grunge guru

Post by KingOfTheHorseflies » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Well I just found this article on the internet. So Billy wants to start doing Christian rock.
Come on! Music is my only escape from the drag of a Christian life! :P I don't really mind what's the focus of the songwriting, just if it's as catchy as Zero or BWBW.
MCIS 8-bit

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Canucker wrote:Billy and his Ego never broke up and aren't the two of them really the original line up?
Someone sig this, now!