Do Smashing Pumpkins qualify as grunge?

Disputed leaders of grunge flavored alternative rock.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Re: does smashing pumpkins qualify as grunge?

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:57 am

SayHello2Heaven wrote:
Pennyroyaltea wrote:
SayHello2Heaven wrote: Have you listened to their "Youth" album? that was pop as my dick is large.
Pictures or its not true :lol:
:lol: Oh, there will be pictures, there will be soon enough 8D
Or so you say? lol
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 am

:lol: :lol:
Do you doubt me?

brainchild
Grunge guru

Post by brainchild » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am

....nooooooooo, the scarification of the imagination!!

Having not heard that album however i cannot be sure of its pop-ness... lol :?

never the less i thought siamese dream to be a master-piece... i would say i always considered the pumpkins partly grunge influenced... can't say they were though... far far too technical in parts... not really raw enough..

ps seriously
SayHello2Heaven wrote::lol: :lol:
Do you doubt me?
id like to
Al...

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs392.snc4/45530_134677733243193_100001029019694_210658_2457777_n.jpg[/img]

grungeislove
Grunge maniac

Post by grungeislove » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Bleach wrote:The Smashing Pumpkins never were "grunge." SP has such a distinctive sound, it can only be simplified as alternative rock and nothing more. It was a unique blend of psychadelic rock, new wave, classic rock and metal that no one has yet lived up to. And the fact that they had the balls to blend in electronica in to the mix in 1995 - when everyone was just grunge, grunge, grunge and no no no mainstream - was very far from grunge ethos.

Just because they were a new alternative rock band around at the same time as the "grunge" explosion does not classify them as grunge. The Smashing Pumpkins are too diverse and too musically transcendent to categorize, but if you tried, grunge would certainly not be one of them.
This. The Smashing Pumpkins have always had such a distinctive sound that no one could really match up to-atleast nowadays. This band is unique and I believe they are a bit underrated.
"In too deep...can't touch the bottom."

SunnyJim

Post by SunnyJim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm

grungeislove wrote:I believe they are a bit underrated.
Smashing Pumpkins is probably my favorite band now, but that doesn't matter. How the hell are they underrated?
Holding back the fool again.

grungeislove
Grunge maniac

Post by grungeislove » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 pm

SunnyJim wrote:
Smashing Pumpkins is probably my favorite band now, but that doesn't matter. How the hell are they underrated?
SP is my favorite band of mine as well. Nowadays, the people I know really don't appreciate SP, and I'm usually labeled as the weird one in school for liking them (and for not wearing what everyone else wears,like Hollister).

The people in music nowadays that are shaking the scene aren't fond of SP much. :(

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 pm

grungeislove wrote:
SunnyJim wrote:
SP is my favorite band of mine as well. Nowadays, the people I know really don't appreciate SP, and I'm usually labeled as the weird one in school for liking them (and for not wearing what everyone else wears,like Hollister).

The people in music nowadays that are shaking the scene aren't fond of SP much. :(
Your not from America, are you?

Because here people have a much different view than that. SP are actually pretty representable everywhere you go. A lot of people like them and heard of them, I seen a lot of people where the "Zero" shirt, and I heard "Tonight, Tonight" so many times at chain music stores I wish it were never made! haha. From my perspective, I think they're pretty well represented.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 pm

I dont think they are grunge. Actually i dont like the band. They are good and all but its just matter of choise
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

grungeislove
Grunge maniac

Post by grungeislove » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm

SayHello2Heaven wrote:
grungeislove wrote:

Your not from America, are you?

Because here people have a much different view than that. SP are actually pretty representable everywhere you go. A lot of people like them and heard of them, I seen a lot of people where the "Zero" shirt, and I heard "Tonight, Tonight" so many times at chain music stores I wish it were never made! haha. From my perspective, I think they're pretty well represented.
I'm American...most of the people I know/go to school with aren't very fond of SP. I know 2 other people who enjoy SP,but not very many people I know like them.

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm

it cant be qualified as grunge because i dont know it sounds way more zeppelin-esque than ramones-que, it has to be on the perfect level of balance i think to be considered grunge, if you are not from the pacific northwest area
gs asgjgfzsdf nz

StoneTempleGreek
Grunge fan

Post by StoneTempleGreek » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 am

I think that the first period of Smashing Pumpkins (Gish and Siamese) is grungy. just listen to songs like Tristessa, i am one and cherub rock and you will find out.
Smashing pumpkins are really well-appreciated here in Greece but only for the good old times. their new stuff sucks badly :lol:
Attachments
stone_temple_pilots.jpg
stone_temple_pilots.jpg (142.76 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Over time its seems the two qualifiers to make a band grunge is from Seattle and big in the early 90's. Back in the early 90's it was more like "don't wear make up, spandex or use hair product and don't have a keyboard player in your band". So say what you want but at least 90% of people out there (if not more) considered them a part of the grunge thing back in the Siamese Dream days.
Never heard them called new wave before in my life.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 am

Well, their predecessors - most notably The Marked - had a definite wave / goth sound about them, and you can hear the new wave influences even on Mellon Collie era songs like Clones or Beautiful. True, they were always more than grunge but from Gish to Mellon Collie they always had grunge elements in their sound. I wouldn't hesitate to call Siamese Dream a grunge album, even if it's a very artistic one.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I never considered goth to be new wave...just another "post punk" thing. To me when I think New Wave I think of The Cars, The Knack, Blondie and other bands with short catchy pop songs...or you could say watered down punk, ready for the masses. Can't think of any Pumpkins tunes that scream "my sharrona" which is why that sounded odd to me to label them as new wave or new waveish.

the carny
Grunge fan

Post by the carny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I never thought of SP as being a true grunge band. Maybe some songs from the Gish and Siamese Dream eras have a grunge element to them but they're too diverse overall to be lumped into a specific alternative rock category.

On a semi-related note...I don't consider being from Seattle as a vital qualifier for a grunge band, considering that the term grunge was apparently used in Australia first.