so what's the deal with Billy?

Disputed leaders of grunge flavored alternative rock.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Re: so what's the deal with Billy?

Post by slatesphanboi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 am

SunnyJim wrote:I just recently got into the pumpkins, and pretty much everything I read makes Billy seem like a giant prick. What'd he do?
Maybe he is just too honest. Dude seems to just say whatever his opinion is whenever and where-ever without realizing that it might piss people off.

There are things that Billy Corgan has stated that piss me off DECADES after-wards.

[ENTER RANT MODE]

Example: After they broke with 'siamese dream' he was on tv with some interview with MTV where he stated he hated his band being so popular now because 'jocks who date-rape' were now coming to his show.

Dude when someone signs with a major label and then makes music videos to go on MTV they have pretty much totally sold out at that point and really don't have the option to complain about the kind of people who show up at their shows now. That is just the reality of the situation.

Don't want to be popular and have jocks show up at your shows? Stay as an indie and never make music videos. Heck don't even do concerts anymore... problem solved. Darkthrone did it.
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 am

slatesphanboi wrote:
SunnyJim wrote:I just recently got into the pumpkins, and pretty much everything I read makes Billy seem like a giant prick. What'd he do?
Maybe he is just too honest. Dude seems to just say whatever his opinion is whenever and where-ever without realizing that it might piss people off.

There are things that Billy Corgan has stated that piss me off DECADES after-wards.

[ENTER RANT MODE]

Example: After they broke with 'siamese dream' he was on tv with some interview with MTV where he stated he hated his band being so popular now because 'jocks who date-rape' were now coming to his show.

Dude when someone signs with a major label and then makes music videos to go on MTV they have pretty much totally sold out at that point and really don't have the option to complain about the kind of people who show up at their shows now. That is just the reality of the situation.

Don't want to be popular and have jocks show up at your shows? Stay as an indie and never make music videos. Heck don't even do concerts anymore... problem solved. Darkthrone did it.

Nah, i agree with him.. you don't want people coming to the thing that you love doing.. and hurting others, it's just wrong, and he's going to have that on his mind forever. Being on a major label and having videos doesn't mean that you sell out, only because other people don't like what your doing doesn't mean you sell-out.. you're not there to please people, you're there to have fun with your friends, if people like it then congrats to them

and jocks? Anyone can be anything, it's not stereotyped. If the world was.. then i should be dead :geek:
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 am

Checks wrote:Nah, i agree with him.. you don't want people coming to the thing that you love doing.. and hurting others, it's just wrong, and he's going to have that on his mind forever.
Sure, but how is one going to enforce that? Are we going to have loads of cops at the entrance to every show profiling everyone?
Being on a major label and having videos doesn't mean that you sell out, only because other people don't like what your doing doesn't mean you sell-out.. you're not there to please people, you're there to have fun with your friends, if people like it then congrats to them
That is true, but at some point when a band becomes HUGE, they really lose the option to complain about what their fan-base is like. It just takes on a life of its own and you can't really control who likes what. That is more the point I was trying to make.
and jocks? Anyone can be anything, it's not stereotyped. If the world was.. then i should be dead :geek:
Don't worry. You're cool. 8)
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:04 am

when Billy threatned to not play when he found out that Stephen Malkmus was playing at lollapalooza, and got Pavement kicked off. thats pretty prickish.
yep

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:14 pm

I know I have said this before, perhaps even in this thread, but I think we can all agree that Billy Corgan is a bit of an ass, to say the least. He is pretentious and full of himself but that doesn't mean he isn't talented. The Smashing Pumpkins are still one of my all time favorite bands and no matter how horrible Billy may be, I still respect him a whole lot.

whippingboy
Grunge fanatic

Post by whippingboy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Priceless Advice wrote:He's just a pretentious faggot iah.
Haha, true true. But we all are to some extent...

Wiiija
Grunge maniac

Post by Wiiija » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I always saw it as him feeling those of us who were with the Pumpkins through the 90's should be there still, as we must all love what he's doing. The sad truth of it is that those first 3 albums were undisputed products of the bad times he was having and the introspection that comes from it. Which happens a lot with bands who have a principal songwriter, I've noticed.

When Mellon Collie happened, it really should have died on its arse. It's pretentious for a good 75% of its run time, and the neo-goth / steampunk stylings sat very much at odds with the raw, simple honesty of Gish & Siamese Dream.
And then Adore happened, Billy became this odd, Nosferatu character, and no matter how much people tell me otherwise, every damned thing he's released since reeks of someone desperate to recover their own sense of relevance and authenticity.

I'm not going to damn anyone for liking the later stuff, but it really does leave a different feeling in the air.

Still, when they came around my locale last, everyone I knew went to see 'em. And most left early. Due to Billy taking issue with people riding nostalgia's wave.
I went to see Shonen Knife instead, and danced and sang until it hurt.