Do Smashing Pumpkins qualify as grunge?

Disputed leaders of grunge flavored alternative rock.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Re: Do Smashing Pumpkins qualify as grunge?

Post by TheBrothersMudd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am

Does it matter?
yep

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 pm

cupid_come_as_u_r wrote:I like his singing voice. The thing that irritates me is when he tries to scream, when his voice clearly isn't suited for that. I also think that when he burned the bridge with Iha, he burned the bridge with someone he could write better music with.
James Iha is awesome
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 am

PJAICfan wrote:
cupid_come_as_u_r wrote:I like his singing voice. The thing that irritates me is when he tries to scream, when his voice clearly isn't suited for that. I also think that when he burned the bridge with Iha, he burned the bridge with someone he could write better music with.
James Iha is awesome
What does Iha do nowdays?
yep

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm

TheBrothersMudd wrote:
PJAICfan wrote:
James Iha is awesome
What does Iha do nowdays?
Plays rhthym for a perfect circle, he came out with a solo album not too long ago, not to mention him and chamberlin were the best parts of the pumpkins
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:19 pm

What does Iha do nowdays?[/quote]
Plays rhthym for a perfect circle, he came out with a solo album not too long ago, not to mention him and chamberlin were the best parts of the pumpkins[/quote]

Zeitgiest is my favorite Pumpkins album, and Iha was gone on that one. what makes Iha so good? and have you heard Teargarden yet? Amazing, imo.
yep

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I think that the best SP songs were penned or cowritten by Iha. Mayonaise, Siva, Rhinoceros, In the Arms of Sleep, Take Me Down, I Am One, Cross.
//edit: Also, most of the textural work on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (ie the solo on Zero, the rocket noises on XYU and Where Boys Fear to Tread, and the reverb washes on Take Me Down, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 33, Thru the Eyes of Ruby are prime examples. Even if he may not have done all of it in the studio, he does an excellent job of it live) was done by Iha.

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 am

cupid_come_as_u_r wrote:I think that the best SP songs were penned or cowritten by Iha. Mayonaise, Siva, Rhinoceros, In the Arms of Sleep, Take Me Down, I Am One, Cross.
//edit: Also, most of the textural work on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (ie the solo on Zero, the rocket noises on XYU and Where Boys Fear to Tread, and the reverb washes on Take Me Down, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 33, Thru the Eyes of Ruby are prime examples. Even if he may not have done all of it in the studio, he does an excellent job of it live) was done by Iha.
Well that settles it, he kicks ass
yep

ever123
Grunge fan

Post by ever123 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 pm

No, I don't think so...

slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 am

No, SP are Alternative Rock (like the Pixies)

The reason folks constantly think SP are grunge is because for some reason they were on the 'singles' movie soundtrack.

Grunge is very specific in my mind. It is from Seattle-area (including Aberdeen, hehe) and started in mid-80s.

SP are from Chicago and started in the late '80s. Totally different scene, man.
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]

Millionairesrow87
Grunge fan

Post by Millionairesrow87 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 pm

I always considered pumpkins to be a grunge band. I'm surprised they're in this section!

I'm equally surprised that queens of the stone age don't feature anywhere or am I just scrolling past em...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eR9L7ZbCM[/youtube]

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:45 am

On the whole, they don’t, but they have a number of songs (Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Today, Cherub Rock to name a few) that have a very grunge sound.

Though I fail to see how the band being from Chicago makes a difference to them being ‘grunge’ or not. Not all grunge bands hail from Seattle, with Nirvana coming from Aberdeen over 100 miles away, and Stone Temple Pilots, Silverchair and Bush (all widely considered grunge) hailing from California, Australia and London (UK) respectively.