how i discovered grunge

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Re: how i discovered grunge

Post by grappler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am

Wow, that's awesome, Sonshine that you got to experience all the live from a young age. I was also Van Halen, RHCP and Janes Addiction fan, but never got much into hip hop other than a bit of Cyprus Hill and some rap rock like Rage Against the Machine (but never rape rock like Limp Bizkit). Quite a childhood you had. I think my first show was Elton John (not including smaller local bands).

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks grappler!

Yes, music was a big deal during my formative years.
It's funny but, when I was young, my Mom was pretty strict on where I was allowed to go and with whom, but she never stopped me from going to concerts, regardless of my age.
...and my tastes were ridiculously diverse.

In 1984 I was 14.
Prince and Def Leppard were playing on the same night.
I had the opportunity to see either show.
2 sets of friends had tickets.
I'd already seen Prince in 1981 open for The Stones, so I chose Def Leppard.
I even wore leopard print pants! Ha!
I will forever regret that. Sure, I enjoyed Def Leppard during the Pyromania tour but missed out on a musical damned genius during the height of his brilliance, Prince and the Purple Rain tour.
Dumb ass move, but what do you expect from a 14 year old? ;)

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:48 am

Me at 8 years old about 4 months after my first Kiss show at the LA Forum during the Love Gun tour. One of the shows where they recorded some of Alive II.

Ha! That show changed my world. I still remember every single moment of it!

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Hey, I'd probably get stoned to death by some for saying this, but I would would have chosen Def Leppard too. Would have liked to have seen Skid Row and Motley Crue back in the 80s too…

That's such a cool photo, and love the shirt! I'll have to dig through some old pics, but I wish my parents had taken more back then. I had this awesome Metallica shirt from the 80s that's gone missing now. Will have to take some pics of my AIC shirt from the early 90s and post them.

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 pm

grappler, when I got my divorce, I lost my photo album of 10 years during my move out of our home.
Basically, there are very few photos that exist of me from 1989 to 1998. Basically, all of my "grunge" years. My entire 20's.k When I was wearing babydoll dresses, plaid skirts and Doc Martens.
It breaks my heart to this day.

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Sonshine, I'm sorry to hear that, it must be heart breaking. It's the kind of thing money can't buy. It's amazing to think back to the time when most people didn't walk around with cameras daily. And even when you did take a photo, you never really knew how it would turn out. I feel like it kind of adds an air of mystery to the past that you don't get with the current generation... It was harder to get over saturated with info about bands. And that goes for bands too where everything today is so easily accessible and instant. Back then you had to wait for songs to come on the radio or hoped that a stores new stock would include some cool band shirts. No going on Amazon and picking up what ever you want at a click of a button.

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes!
Absolutely!
...and there is a part of me that truly misses that blissful ignorance.
That excitement when you got to finally hear that long waited for record
Your musical heroes should stay a mystery on some level.

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Oh man.
I just realized that I have stuff stored at my Mom's in So. Cal.
I haven't even thought about the fact that the negatives to some of the photos could be there.
We have a very strained relationship and haven't spoken in over a year.
I hope she hasn't or doesn't eventually throw them out.

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 am

I say call to your mum! Hopefully she hasn't thrown them out and you get to chance to see what's there. It's totally worth it.

I just found old negatives, and I have an opportunity to make them digital at my school, so I'm really happy. My dad is/was a photographer, so I'm gonna go through his photos too. Mostly just my childhood photos, very few have survived (or were even taken) when I was at my teens cause we were too poor to have a camera (mum had one, but she would have never let us use it, not to mention developing them would have been too expensive) and I wasn't with dad much back then, but I did find some that I took with disposable cameras.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 am

Yea, I remember it being a big deal back in the day to spend the money to actually develop the film.
When I was real young, I actually worked at place where we developed film and I got a discount.

I doubt that my Mom threw out my negatives, but I guarantee she couldn't find them if she tried. She is a pack rat. They probably buried in a not water proof box in the garage with a leaky roof and ruined. :(

Besides, things are super bad between us right now. Having any contact with her at all, throws me into super hardcore anxiety mode. :?

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 am

Sorry to hear about your relationship with your mum. Hopefully it can be fixed in time and hope your negatives are still alive. It's always fun finding old stuff that you didn't realize still existed.

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Nothing to exciing. I loved Smells Like Teen Spirit, so I bought the album. I didn't like it as much as I though, and I ended up finding more grunge. It easily resonated. The dark, yet ecstatic tone combined with many genres...

I ended up being a "grunge guy" on a couple sites. I was obsessed for a small time, and I often go on binges.

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:35 pm

JayGarden wrote:Nothing to exciing. I loved Smells Like Teen Spirit, so I bought the album. I didn't like it as much as I though, and I ended up finding more grunge. It easily resonated. The dark, yet ecstatic tone combined with many genres...

I ended up being a "grunge guy" on a couple sites. I was obsessed for a small time, and I often go on binges.
Too*
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh, I PMed this. I thought I posted it.

So I missed an O. ;)

Meatplow
Grunge fan

Post by Meatplow » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 am

I confiscated my older sister's Nevermind-tape in '91, that's how it all started.