how i discovered grunge

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

blackmagejtp
Grunge maniac

how i discovered grunge

Post by blackmagejtp » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:17 pm

back in elementary school im an adult now been about 20 years
first grunge cd I got was dinosaur Jr fossils cd. then nirvana. incesticide

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: how i discovered grunge

Post by incessantmace » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:02 am

We do have a "How did you get into grunge?" thread though, mate ;)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

Post by alternradioshifter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 pm

I got into grunge when I was 14. I'm 22 now. It was a crazy time indeed. Dealing with self-esteem and identity issues along with social alienation made grunge a perfect fit for me. I identified with it's apathy towards conventional standards and it's raw energy and self-expression. First bands I heard were Nirvana, Alice In Chains, L7 and Soundgarden. I later got into Mudhoney, Gruntruck, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, etc.
FeedMyEyes wrote:Tell him to fuck off and that you worship satan.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 am

I always did really like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains but I think I skimmed over a lot of their stuff and I completely overstepped Mad Season. In my teens, I was always looking for something new - I wanted to try a bit of everything. I stuck with Nirvana for a long time and I don't think I missed a damn thing. I sort of grew out of Nirvana. Recently though I've been having that PJ/AiC phase I should have had five years ago, when I busy looking for obscure treasure. There comes a time when you realise most obscure stuff is obscure because it sucks.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 pm

25 years ago when I heard Justin Bieber for the first time I knew that was it.
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 pm

My dad listened to a lot of Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam when I was a lot younger, and I always had an image in my head of what I liked and what I wanted to be, I just didn't realise it had a name until about two or three years ago. Seeing as I'm about the age most of you guys first discovered grunge, and I relate to your reasons. Social Alienation for me is pretty big for me now consider everyone's into crappy pop music. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of people who would consider me "friends" but I've never really had what you would call a real friend. I can't really relate to anyone (In real life obviously).
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I don't know whether it's a correlation between musical taste and personality or just shared music taste makes people like each other, but music does often seem to be a an important part of most friendships. Especially when you're younger.

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:22 am

When Nirvana and Pearl Jam started getting airplay in Southern California.
I was married to a much older man and he was an old school skate punk who HATED pretty much all of your typical classic rock stuff. We were listening to things like Tool and and other heavy stuff at the time.
We were both really really happy when the "grunge" scene started to catch on.
I will never, ever forget the day Kurt died.
I had never in my life shed a tear over a celebrity death until that day. :(

Btw, am I the only one who can't stand the term, "Grunge"?
Last edited by Sonshine on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:34 am

How old are you?

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 am

Ancient.

Basically around the age of most of the Seattle scene band members.
I think I expected more people my age when I found the forum, but it still makes me happy to see young people love the music of the 90's as well.

How old are you otherimprov?

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 am

He's 33
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Sonshine, I also can't stand the label "Grunge". I remember Digitech even came out with a "Grunge" pedal back in '94 or '95, and I suckered myself into buying it. It sounds horrible, and I ended up selling it to some Nirvana fan a week later. The label "Grunge" was really marketed to hell in the '90s, and it was funny watching all the glam bands suddenly adopting flannel shirts over night. It was funny watching all these party bands start having identity crisis's.

Anyway, I got into "grunge" around '91 when I first heard AIC, and then I was hooked. Before that I was mostly listening to stuff like Anthrax, Pantera, G'N'R, Metallica, Black Sabbath/Ozzy… And still continued to listen to those and various other metal/rock bands when grunge hit, but AIC really took over in a big way. At the time I also started discovery other bands of the same genre and other "alternative" rock/metal. Some of my favs of the time were Screaming Trees, Mad Season, Tool, SG, Kerbdog, Blind Melon, Deftones, Faith No More, Life of Agony...

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:57 pm

subpop1999 wrote:He's 33
Thank you Liam

Sonshine
Grunge guru

Post by Sonshine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:51 am

Exactly grappler!
"Grunge" doesn't reflect the music as much as it does the fashion, or lack-there-of.
We were a little more accepting of "alternative" even though it was used to describe other types of music that weren't considered "grunge".
"Alternative" seemed appropriate because the music coming out during that time (even though, like you said, there were bands jumping on the bandwagon) was an alternative to what we had been being spoon fed forever. It was simply something new and meaningful.

I was listening to things like Anthrax and Metallica as well, but also Siouxsie and the Banshees, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers and all kinds of other stuff.
I have a very broad taste in music. I love the hell outta hip hop when I work out.
Then again, I grew up in the LBC not far from Snoop and Dre and Warren G. I went to a very diverse high school and was exposed to all kinds of music.

Side note - my first ever concert was KISS in 1977 when I was 7 years old.
I saw The Stones when I was 12 and Van Halen 3 times during the original DLR years and I went to the very first Lollapalooza tour back in '91 or '92.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 am

Wow, hard to compete with that. I do think Dan/Boxcar saw Nirvana live back then, and I have the very first Soundgarden single on vinyl but that's about it for old school memories ;)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york