Steve Albini interview

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

matty3198
Grunge fan

Steve Albini interview

Post by matty3198 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi i just did an interview with Steve Albini, tell me what you think about it .

http://figure8magazine.co.uk/default/st ... interview/

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Re: Steve Albini interview

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Nice interview. Good questions.

I found a typo:
"What do you think vinyl coming back in a small way?"

sadie

Re: Steve Albini interview

Post by sadie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 am

I just love him. A good interview.
If you had to sum up the “problem with music” today in one sentence, what would it be?

Honestly, the biggest problem with music has always been the encroachment of outside industry into what functions best as a self-sufficient community, and that hasn't changed. The difference is that now the record business is only a small influence relative to the corporate influence over live venues, ticket sales, merchandising and sponsorship. To the extent bands keep their shit together and manage their own affairs, now is a better time than ever to be in a band. You can record really efficiently, put a video on YouTube, release albums on Bandcamp, sell your merchandise using PayPal, fund bigger projects on Kickstarter, press up your own albums, book your own tours and keep all the money. It's totally conceivable to run a band as a small business now, and that's a new and radical development. Anybody complaining about the new paradigm has simply refused to take advantage of it, and for a street-level musician the change in the industry has been fantastic. Whenever I see some industry dinosaur pining for the old days of the sharecropper system the big labels operated on I feel about the same way I did watching the Quincy episode about punk rock. Bitching about how different things are now betrays a profound and malignant kind of stupid.

http://boingboing.net/2014/05/13/who-ca ... ni-th.html
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.