Grunge Landmarks

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar

SayHello2Heaven

Grunge Landmarks

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 pm

What Grunge related Landmarks would you like to visit???

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Grunge Landmarks

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:32 pm

All of them, but I'm sure I don't even know of half of them or have forgotten but off the top of my head I really want to visit Kurt's house in Seattle and that park.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Haha, I can see it now. One of you guys giving a tour of all the grunge-related locations to stupid tourists.

I'd really love to visit the venues and all those places where the bands performed when they were starting out. Oh and the Sound Garden art sculpture that was the namesake for the band.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Oh yeah the music venues. Man that would be awesome. When I went to Seattle, we caught the EMP, the general area where the OK Hotel used to be, The Crocodile Cafe, and drove by The Showbox, but I only found out about it on that trip. We also passed by 2 Dr. Martens stores, and saw all those cool poles with old remnants of band flyers all over them. I'd want to go to the flannel store haha. Also, I'd like to see Jimi Hendrix's grave, and maybe if they still have Kurt's house he grew up in in Aberdeen or that Kurt park they have there that I think I heard about. Oh yeah and the Singles apartment building and the Rat House where Mia and The Gits and 7 Year Bitch lived and played music and had parties, and those two places are actually just 2-3 blocks away from each other. Oh yes, the Sound Garden.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:41 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:Oh yeah the music venues. Man that would be awesome. When I went to Seattle, we caught the EMP, the general area where the OK Hotel used to be, The Crocodile Cafe, and drove by The Showbox, but I only found out about it on that trip. We also passed by 2 Dr. Martens stores, and saw all those cool poles with old remnants of band flyers all over them. I'd want to go to the flannel store haha. Also, I'd like to see Jimi Hendrix's grave, and maybe if they still have Kurt's house he grew up in in Aberdeen or that Kurt park they have there that I think I heard about. Oh yeah and the Singles apartment building and the Rat House where Mia and The Gits and 7 Year Bitch lived and played music and had parties, and those two places are actually just 2-3 blocks away from each other. Oh yes, the Sound Garden.
I don't think Jimi Hendrix is grunge, although he is considered the father of metal, so I guess he contributed to grunge somehow. 8D

And how can I forget Sub Pop records. 8)
Last edited by Scarabola on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Gorilla Gardens (if it's still there?) Prob get's my vote for must see venue local.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Nirvaniac wrote:
KristinNirvana wrote:Oh yeah the music venues. Man that would be awesome. When I went to Seattle, we caught the EMP, the general area where the OK Hotel used to be, The Crocodile Cafe, and drove by The Showbox, but I only found out about it on that trip. We also passed by 2 Dr. Martens stores, and saw all those cool poles with old remnants of band flyers all over them. I'd want to go to the flannel store haha. Also, I'd like to see Jimi Hendrix's grave, and maybe if they still have Kurt's house he grew up in in Aberdeen or that Kurt park they have there that I think I heard about. Oh yeah and the Singles apartment building and the Rat House where Mia and The Gits and 7 Year Bitch lived and played music and had parties, and those two places are actually just 2-3 blocks away from each other. Oh yes, the Sound Garden.
I don't think Jimi Hendrix is grunge, although he is considered the father of metal, so I guess he contributed to grunge somehow. 8D

And how can I forget Sub Pop records. 8)
Yeah I just added him in because it's in the area. Oh yeah, Sub Pop records.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 am

Quit posting actual legit stuff! I was so planning on creating a bogus tour so I could cash in on the tourists when I move to seattle this fall!

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Haha. I was once a Seattle grunge tourist myself. I can see it now, "Come to the house where Kurt and Michael Jackson worked on their infamous record together! You can see the blood stains over here..." "This spot right here is where Courtney Love attacked George Clooney with a baseball bat" "And we musn't forget the park where Soundgarden had that orgy with Faith No More and The Breeders".
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:Haha. I was once a Seattle grunge tourist myself. I can see it now, "Come to the house where Kurt and Michael Jackson worked on their infamous record together! You can see the blood stains over here..." "This spot right here is where Courtney Love attacked George Clooney with a baseball bat" "And we musn't forget the park where Soundgarden had that orgy with Faith No More and The Breeders".
:lol: this is so going in whatever Seattle sitcom one of you makes.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:31 am

I'm making that too! I'm gonna steal ALL of your ideas and then get Billy Corgan to write my album for me!

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 am

It took me a while to realize that iCarly takes place in Seattle. What a waste of a good location.

Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Nirvaniac wrote:It took me a while to realize that iCarly takes place in Seattle. What a waste of a good location.
So does Grey's Anatomy

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Ferglius wrote:
Nirvaniac wrote:It took me a while to realize that iCarly takes place in Seattle. What a waste of a good location.
So does Grey's Anatomy
I was going to say that. There should be a law against having a show set in Seattle and not mentioning grunge from time to time. There was like one mention on Frasier, something like Lilith saying "I expected you to be introducing Pearl Jam's latest hit."
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I gave up on that show the second they didn't have flannel labcoats. If you make a point of stating what city a show takes place in then you should use that setting for all it's worth, right? :wink2: