a mini war between alt. metal bands and grunge bands?

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

joseph
Grunge master

a mini war between alt. metal bands and grunge bands?

Post by joseph »

i hear early 90s alt metal bands like tool, jane's addiction, nin [before they went all industrial] and rage against the machine were rivals with grunge bands or something, is this true? any more info on this?

coz apparently kurt cobain hated tool and thought they should of been sued for their sober video

maybe that's why cobain hated pearl jam, maybe he thought they were another alt. metal band coz of the guitar wizardry in ten.
PJAICfan
Grunge God

Re: a mini war between alt. metal bands and grunge bands?

Post by PJAICfan »

On tool, they were friends with aic and did shows together with them, not exactly rivals, layne and Maynard were actually apparently pretty good friends and Maynard commented in an interview that people like layne inspired the apc album thirteenth step

Rage formed a band with Chris cornell, I doubt them and soundgarden were really on bad terms

And pearl jam are the farthest thing from alt metal, I'm pretty sure Kurt just didn't like stone and jeff.

And the comment about the tool video, I'm not really sure where that came from, I don't really think nirvana and tool really had any beef going on, although I could be wrong.

And I'm not really a huge janes addiction fan so I can't comment

Also krist said in an interview that bands like janes addiction and faith no more(one of the biggest alt metal bands in the early 90s in my opinion) really paved the way for nirvana in the late 80s
Nin really did their own thing a lot of the time I think
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Grunge guys didn't like Jane's Addiction because they acted like "stars" and were from Los Angeles. Also, Jane's Addiction doesn't really have anything to do with metal.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person
Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx »

joseph wrote:
maybe that's why cobain hated pearl jam, maybe he thought they were another alt. metal band
Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

Rage against the machine's guitarist Tom Morello was a good friend of Layne Staley and is a good friend of Chris Cornell!
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

I saw an interview once with Kurt talking about how it seemed like Tool ripped off The Brothers Quay, which is how I found out about them, but he didn't seem like he hated them at all, just that maybe someone should look into the Sober video.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi »

joseph wrote:i hear early 90s alt metal bands like tool, jane's addiction, nin [before they went all industrial] and rage against the machine were rivals with grunge bands or something, is this true? any more info on this?
1.) Tool seems to have gotten along with grunge guys. Like James Maynard Keenan even did a duet with Chris Cornell a few years ago:

Audioslave ~ Peace, Love and Understanding (Feat Maynard James Keenan)

maybe that's why cobain hated pearl jam, maybe he thought they were another alt. metal band coz of the guitar wizardry in ten.
Yo Kurt didn't like Ament and Vedder because he thought they were sell-outs trying to become big rock stars instead of being 'artists' and stuff. Just read a few Nirvana books and it will be in there.

Also check this out:
Eddie Vedder Puts Kurt Cobain Feud to Rest

March 19, 2009

Back in the early nineties, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were possibly the two biggest bands in America, but despite both groups having sprung from the same Seattle grunge scene, Kurt Cobain didn’t initially think they had both stayed true to their roots. Cobain even famously accused Pearl Jam of “pioneering a corporate, alternative and cock-rock fusion.”

Now seventeen years later, Eddie Vedder is reissuing Pearl Jam’s breakthrough album Ten and has spoken out on Cobain’s early opinions of his band. “I don’t think Kurt understood us at the time, but we became friends and I’m glad we had some of the great conversations we had, that I’m always going to keep up here,” Vedder told The Sun, pointing to his head.

“I don’t talk too much about him in respect to Krist (Novoselic) and Dave (Grohl) and I know he said that early stuff about not liking us,” Vedder added. “But there’s a couple of complimentary things that he said in public about me as a human being, which I’m proud exist. But if Kurt were around today, I know he’d say to me, ‘Well, you turned out OK.’”

After years of dedication to their fans, a war with Ticketmaster and very few questionable licensing deals, Vedder has put all the early-nineties criticism over the band “selling out” to rest. “People offered us money to sell out but do I look like a whore?” he said.

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2009/03/ed ... d-to-rest/
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]
rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit »

i dont think kurt hated maynard... ummm... i know courtney thought maynard was a attention whore and maynard had no response to that hahahhaha :) but idk i never heard that kurt hated tool
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Oh, and then there's this which suggests Eddie and Perry are friends, and Perry loves grunge bands http://grungereport.net/?p=11013
I also heard an interview with Shannon Hoon praising grunge bands.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

KristinNirvana wrote:Oh, and then there's this which suggests Eddie and Perry are friends, and Perry loves grunge bands http://grungereport.net/?p=11013
I also heard an interview with Shannon Hoon praising grunge bands.
Shannon was a huge fan of both pearl jam and nirvana, Also, check out bee girl by pearl jam, kinda obvious what it's about
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..
kurtdaniel
Grunge fanatic

Post by kurtdaniel »

joseph wrote:i hear early 90s alt metal bands like tool, jane's addiction, nin [before they went all industrial] and rage against the machine were rivals with grunge bands or something, is this true? any more info on this?

coz apparently kurt cobain hated tool and thought they should of been sued for their sober video

Lol what a clash of sounds! I really like nirvana.. but he not actually my reason why i took up guitar tutorial.. its all about alternative metal.. :)
Last edited by kurtdaniel on Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

rabbit wrote:i dont think kurt hated maynard... ummm... i know courtney thought maynard was a attention whore and maynard had no response to that hahahhaha :) but idk i never heard that kurt hated tool
LOL Courtney should know how to spot an attention whore!
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Most of the bands at the time had any little thing they said quoted in the press. People were on tour non stop and being pulled in a million directions so of course they were gonna bitch from time to time and even get misquoted. One thing I found funny is last year I heard Trent Reznor in a radio special talk about "competition" once you get big...he never intended to be a billboard music star but when Soundgardens Superunknown debut at number 1 the same week DownwardSpiral came out and it was number two his goal became to crush soundgarden (I don't think crush was the exact word but pretty close)...and the next week NIN took over the number one spot.... personally I don't remember that or remember caring at the time but that summer those two bands toured together in support of those albums and here he is almost twenty years later saying his goal at the time was to outdo them....he also mentioned having a major drug problem so who knows how good his memory is.
sadie

Post by sadie »

I'm guessing none of them really cared what others really do and don't. I think they all had their own bands and their own problems. I always kind of take those comments as a joke, you have to say something when the press asks. And they will ask, cause there's nothing better than someone saying something about someone. It doesn't even have to be negative, and they'll make it negative. Like for example, Kat saying about Court "I want to make music, she wants to be famous" and everyone is like that Kat's bashing Courtney, and I can't anything but just laugh. She just said like it is, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

If I became famous I bet I'd ruin Canada's image of being polite. Really its about time that got ruined cus everyone around here is a dick...but I live close to Toronto so that explains that.