Who was but isn't "grunge" anymore???

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Canucker
Grunge God

Who was but isn't "grunge" anymore???

Post by Canucker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 am

Theres the thread "is smashing pumpkins grunge"...so what other bands do you think were but then stopped qualifying as grunge? Back in the day when the g word was the big thing I never considered Grunge to be a Seattle only type thing. We didn't run to an atlas every time we heard a new band...we generally went by the sound of the tunes and the look of the band/videos.....fresh stuff was either grunge or alternative and anything else was just considered old and on the way out (glam rock obviously).....they actually had an episode of The New Music (canadian music show that was actually good) and looked at what bands dressed grungy but cleaned up they're look for they're next album.

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Re: Who was but isn't "grunge" anymore???

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:58 am

Tiny Tim was and always will be the most grunge ever. True story.
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:59 am

Silverchair?

Not that they WERE 'grunge' anyway... :lol:

Now they just look like twats :|
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:43 am

Stone Temple Pilots went from being the fifth of the Big Four of Grunge, to Creed-wannabe Post-Grungers. Have you seen Scott then and now?

When SG and Rage teamed up to form Audioslave, Cornell still had his "Grunge Yarl", yet their band had become a more classical rock influenced group.

And then there's Pearl Jam who became more pop-oriented with Backspacer.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 am

I totally agree with the comment about Stone Temple Pilots. When I heard their new stuff I was pissed and very disapointed.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 am

I guess I never heard that many STP tracks cus I don't recall them ever sounding like Creed. The show that I was referring to showed vids from Beck, Collective Soul and Hole to show how they all dressed up more now. Its easy to be grungy when you don't have a budget :lol:

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 am

Nirvaniac wrote:Stone Temple Pilots went from being the fifth of the Big Four of Grunge, to Creed-wannabe Post-Grungers. Have you seen Scott then and now?

When SG and Rage teamed up to form Audioslave, Cornell still had his "Grunge Yarl", yet their band had become a more classical rock influenced group.

I agree with all of this^^

I would defnitely say that AiC have stuck to their roots. I'm anxious to hear their new album and the Soundgarden one.
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:16 am

Stargazer wrote:
Nirvaniac wrote:Stone Temple Pilots went from being the fifth of the Big Four of Grunge, to Creed-wannabe Post-Grungers. Have you seen Scott then and now?

I agree with all of this^^

I would defnitely say that AiC have stuck to their roots. I'm anxious to hear their new album and the Soundgarden one.
YES NEW SOUNDGARDEN ALBUM :D

According to the band it's supposed to be a classical 90's record. Can't wait.

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:20 am

What's weird is bands that went grunge.
Swervedriver, Catherine Wheel, Smashing Pumpkins, Curve and Breathless were all shoegazers. Swervedriver, Catherine and Smashing Pumpkins went total grunge around 1994. Curve got grungier on Cuckoo, plus they added elements of industrial. Breathless released like, one grunge song before going in to drone music.
Also, Beck's lo fi stuff has a big old Melvins influence throughout. He brought in the element of hip hop when he signed to Bong Load.

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 am

PAW also had a very grungey sound on the Dragline album. One of my fave albums, love Mark Hennessy's vocals!
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 am

No band is "grunge" anymore really. Grunge is dead.

Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Smashing Pumpkins weren't Grunge. They had a lot in common with these bands but they weren't one.

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Laimonel wrote:No band is "grunge" anymore really. Grunge is dead.
I don't entirely agree with that. There are still plenty of grunge bands around, even if the whole movement thing stopped. Obviously being a grunge band doesn't mean you have to come from Seattle (or there abouts), influences do spread. There will probably never be a grunge revolution, it would take a heck of a lot of talented, like-minded musicans to do that.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Stargazer wrote:
Laimonel wrote:No band is "grunge" anymore really. Grunge is dead.
I don't entirely agree with that. There are still plenty of grunge bands around, even if the whole movement thing stopped. Obviously being a grunge band doesn't mean you have to come from Seattle (or there abouts), influences do spread. There will probably never be a grunge revolution, it would take a heck of a lot of talented, like-minded musicans to do that.
it would more likely take the complete crash of the internet so that people aged 15-25 would pay for music again.

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:31 am

Stargazer wrote:I don't entirely agree with that. There are still plenty of grunge bands around, even if the whole movement thing stopped. Obviously being a grunge band doesn't mean you have to come from Seattle (or there abouts), influences do spread. There will probably never be a grunge revolution, it would take a heck of a lot of talented, like-minded musicans to do that.
I don't think that grunge has anything to do with sound. Well yes, most grunge bands sounded kinda similar, but i understand grunge as a movement, a lifestyle, you know..