Just found a grunge book

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Canucker
Grunge God

Just found a grunge book

Post by Canucker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm

dunno if theres a topic for it here but I just found a copy of a book called "Accidental Revolution: The Story of Grunge" it was on sale even...lucky me. Seven bucks. I just saw reviews for it online and its suppose to be awful. Anybody give it a read yet?

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Just found a grunge book

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I have it, read it, and did nothing for me. It didn't really tell me anything that U didn't know previously. I suggest picking up the Loser book; it's like the bible of Northwest and Grunge history and knowledge.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm

I still haven't found Loser, but Grunge is Dead is one of the best books I've ever read. Seriously, what a fucking awesome book.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Slugg wrote:I still haven't found Loser, but Grunge is Dead is one of the best books I've ever read. Seriously, what a fucking awesome book.
Loser is miles better. Trust me. Grunge Is Dead was a great book, a lot of fresh ideas and knowledge, but Loser is the Holy Grail. Taught me a lot of what I know now.

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Sounds like a great book. I saw some reviews that bashed it, but they were ignorant :lol: I'm probably going to get that, Grunge is Dead, Abd Godspeed
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 pm

SayHello2Heaven wrote:
Slugg wrote:I still haven't found Loser, but Grunge is Dead is one of the best books I've ever read. Seriously, what a fucking awesome book.
Loser is miles better. Trust me. Grunge Is Dead was a great book, a lot of fresh ideas and knowledge, but Loser is the Holy Grail. Taught me a lot of what I know now.
I really wanna find it somewhere. I think I'm gonna try and get my parents to get it for me for Christmas or something.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Sappy434
Grunge fan

Post by Sappy434 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey I'm new and I saw this thread. Grunge is Dead is a really good book, somewhat hard to read but I got used to it by reading American Hardcore. I haven't read Loser yet, how is it different?
"I don't adopt any one's ideas; I have my own" - Evgeny Bazarov (Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev)

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Sappy434 wrote:Hey I'm new and I saw this thread. Grunge is Dead is a really good book, somewhat hard to read but I got used to it by reading American Hardcore. I haven't read Loser yet, how is it different?
Its more comprehensive and focuses more on the underground bands than the bigger bands...It's more of a Northwest Music biography rather than a Grunge one.

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 am

SayHello2Heaven wrote:I have it, read it, and did nothing for me. It didn't really tell me anything that U didn't know previously. I suggest picking up the Loser book; it's like the bible of Northwest and Grunge history and knowledge.
Can't find it :sad2:
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 am

This is what the book cover looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/Loser-Seattle-Mus ... 1929069243

Amazon sells lit, but it's wayyy too much to even consider buying personally. What I did was I went to a local book store and requested them to get the book from the publisher so I could buy it. Took a week or two for them to get the book and I paid $10 for it, when normal books go for $20.

sadie

Post by sadie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks :) Now I know what it looks like... I'm not sure if I'm right, but feels like Finland is a good place to get grunge-related stuff :) I'll let you know if I change my mind when I start to buy the really rare things. I don't think that's bad price, but I'll try to look if I'll find it cheaper somewhere :P (I'm so lazy :mrgreen: )
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:52 am

That book is complete shit. THe author obviously is a GnR fan who has a bone to pick with Grunge. Its very flmsy when it comes to information and will tell you nothing more than a quick google search would. THe Grunge Discography in the back is aweful with most of what is listed not even grunge. Do yourself a favour, burn it and use it to keep you warm and then get either Loser or Grunge is Dead.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I've already got Grunge is Dead so I guess I'm safe....never seen or even heard of loser before though.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm done with Grunge Is Dead now and am looking for Loser, but it's hell of expensive here :x Some guy on amazon though, who said he'd been involved in the Seattle music scene for 20 years, stated that Loser was more like a rip-off of the Rocket in terms of focusing on one particular part of the scene. Since I'm particularly interested in the early punk/hardcore/glam/post-punk part of the city's musical history, here's my question to those of you who read it already: Is it any good regarding bands like the Refuzors, Solger, The Telepaths, the Fags or the Lewd?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 pm

The book is a Seattle and northwest band encyclopedia and has posters, pictures and illustrations ranging from the the 60's seattle scene to the 90's. The author does refer to the bands you mentioned (well, I remember Solger and Refuzors were mentioned), I don't recall how indepth he went but it taught me everything I needed to know. I haven't read it in some time, my suggestion Jan, buy it and see for yourself. I remember he talks a lot about the earlier bands so chances are looking good for your needs :)