Punk or Metal

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: Punk or Metal

Post by Canucker »

I don't like Twisted Sister at all.....But Black Flag, Circle Jerks and Ramones don't sound like them[/quote]

Dee Sinder did a horror movie in the 2000nd's (wrote it) and Joey was suppose to be in it... I never saw it...I wonder if that ever happened. If you dig early LA punk stuff try to get your mits on a copy of The Unheard Music-The Story of X.....such a great flick...I scored it on dvd at BestBuy during boxing week of all places....it was filmed between 1980 and 1985....it was great! Kind of a watch The Decline then toss that in and enjoy. If you need recommendations on what to get and what to get last as far as ramones stuff...I pretty much have it all.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Mithaearon wrote:Punk as metal is aweful music. especially modern metal....
I was never a metal guy but seriously did it not lose something when metal dudes started wearing baggy pants?

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon »

Canucker wrote:
Mithaearon wrote:Punk as metal is aweful music. especially modern metal....
I was never a metal guy but seriously did it not lose something when metal dudes started wearing baggy pants?
yeah dude I am with you on that its just wrong.

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

I can't really choose to be honest.

I think maybe overall you could say metal. But at the moment they are both pretty weak genres, most punk bands are actually just pop-punk bands and most metal bands sounds exactly the same.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

FeedMyEyes wrote:I can't really choose to be honest.

I think maybe overall you could say metal. But at the moment they are both pretty weak genres, most punk bands are actually just pop-punk bands and most metal bands sounds exactly the same.
I refuse to use pop and punk in the same genre lol
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

It all depends on where you look for your music and how you define it.... theres always good and bad out there....its just sometimes not that much good and a lot of bad....and sometimes neither sell very well. Theres good pop punk and theres bad...I think since the late 90's when it started making big bucks everything has been bad...but before that The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, Screeching Weasel, The Queers...basically all the Lookout Label stuff was pretty decent pop punk. You could use the term power pop and it can mean some decent stuff and some gawd awful stuff too... I usually just throw music into two piles...good or bad...you could go nuts splitting hairs about genres and sub-genres.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Well if you put it in terms of these days, both genres are awful. I'd choose punk over metal these days solely because I don't know about it as much, and the HORRIBLE metal I'm seeing on MTV is embarrassing to listen to. It's like metal is turning into Screamo, and all the new metal musicians are fucking pussies and sellouts.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

MudNirvana
Grunge fan

Post by MudNirvana »

I like both, but I listen to punk a lot more and it is more of an influence on me and my music that I write.
[img]http://www.chicagoist.com/images/2004_11_22_nirvana.jpg[/img]
If Sonic Youth is Nirvana's cool, responsible, artsy older brother with a cute asian girlfriend, then Dinosaur Jr would be the best friend you had in high school that was constantly stoned.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

Mithaearon wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:59 am
I am not really into Metal apart from the odd album here and there (a few early Metallica, some (shock) Korn and shit)
I can tell that you are ‘not really into metal’ because if you were, you would not have named Korn as a flipping metal band...!
— —
Metal for me. Metal was what made me a definite music lover. I was ten years old when metal properly connected with me, and I feel that the sheer loudness, energy and agility of the music, as well as the rebellious attitude and aesthetic of the heavy-metallers behind it truly resonated with me then, when was a bit alienated, and felt a strong sense of of retort to the culture of emo, nu-metal and hip-hop that surrounded me. Hearing the players too, hearing those gorgeous Ritchie Blackmore solos definitely gave me an appreciation of genuine talent. Many outstanding rockers from Judas Priest, Kiss, Deep Purple, Mötorhead, Acka-Dacka, Rainbow, Dio, Aerosmith, Metallica, Skid Row, Slayer, Ozzy, UFO, Thin Lizzy to Van Halen were my jam back then.
— —
I am a fan of true, good old-fashioned punk music. It was the Sex Pistols that bridged the gap for me, at the same age that I got into metal, and even to this day, I find it impossible not to feel inspired by what these working-class London born-and-bred lads did, and that’s enter the studio with a fuck-you attitude and a thirst for the sludgy sounds of the Detroit rock city scene, the shock of glam, and the sleaze of the New York Dolls, and produce what leaves its mark as one of the greatest rock masterpieces that their generation created! It’s a mystery to me exactly how Rotten and Co were able to pull it off, but it’s nonetheless inspirational.

I have realised only now that the last time this thread was in use follow closely the time that I started to fall in love with metal, in other words probably not as long ago now as I’d been in the world then, but close.
I’d be tortured by being spun on a wheel and having knives thrown at me just to go back there. For all of the pain and misery of then, it was a better world — no smartphones, even though there was an election politics didn’t dominate to the point where it makes life miserable and depressing, social media wasn’t shoehorned into every facet of life — it felt better for us, more real and more natural.
Every time that I look in the mirror, all these lines in my face are getting clearer... the past is gone ... it went by like dusk to dawn...
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time.