Best grunge guitarist????????

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Who iz da best gronge gweetawrieste?

Kurt Cobain
17%
Kim Thayil
19%
Jerry Cantrell
29%
Mike McCready
21%
Steve Turner
2%
Stone Gossard
8%
Gary Lee Connor
2%
Tad Doyle
2%

Total votes: 52

ScreamingLife
Grunge maniac

Re: Best grunge guitarist????????

Post by ScreamingLife »

Mike is a good guitarist, his solos are pretty great, but the skill is in the creation. A lot of people can re-draw a Picaso, but nobody could create art like him, which is why he is one of the best. Jerry wrote like 90 something percent of the guitar in AiC, so I think he is better than Mike. Kim is a pretty original guitarist, and I think he is great, but his non guitar solo contributions to the band were alot less than most people think, Chris wrote the guitar parts for most of their best songs. Also props to Stoney Gossard.
Check out Seattle's own, MIND VICE

www.MINDVICE.com

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro »

Well, since I look up to him So much as a guitarist, I'm going to vote Jerry.
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Post by mad_submarine »

This is the hardest question ever. My fav band is Alice in Chains, and yeah, of course I would vote about the guy who created my favourite songs but on the other hand, Screaming trees have some unbelievably good solos and stuff, also, Stoney will always be the one who got me into grunge..and fuck yeah, he created Alive.
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

Jerry Cantrell, of course.
The playing of Jerry Cantrell is the best ever at conveying pure, unrelenting emotion through his riffs, hooks and solos.
His tortured ringing that embellishes "Rooster" illustrates perfectly the fear and anguish of a soldier in Vietnam.
"Dam that River" is kicked into life by bone-crushing macho-thrash which couldn't better set the scene for recounting his violent past with a band-mate.
Launching into "Again" with a sludgy, violent riff, Cantrell drags us into the torturous world of the abusive relationship the song describes.
I miss the comfort in being sad. Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim. It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time