Different Types of Grunge

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Re: Different Types of Grunge

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:39 pm

If I dare comment here again, I want to say that I don’t hear a recognisable difference in genre between SLTS and Room A Thousand Years Wide.

swamptoad
Grunge fan

Post by swamptoad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm

NO matter how you categorize a sub category. Music artists of the grunge era did not want to fit any certain label. They wanted freedom of expression .. so their music changed over the course of time. Kurt, of Nirvana saved earlier songs for later albums because he wanted those particular songs to fit with the album. I love the diversity that got categorized under the so-called "Alternative" label ...which seemed to be much of a fusion of everything (pop, country, folk, rock, psychedelic, punk, metal, etc.)

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 pm

swamptoad wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm
I love the diversity that got categorized under the so-called "Alternative" label ...which seemed to be much of a fusion of everything (pop, country, folk, rock, psychedelic, punk, metal, etc.)
Yeah. This just isn't the same as this. And I could easily have picked WAY more diverse songs than those two.

That’s why we coined terms like Alternative Country, Alternative Dance, Alternative Metal, Britpop, Grunge, Noiserock, Shoegazing etc. to divide “Alternative” music into subcategories of similar-sounding music.

A good question in itself is, what is simply “Alternative Rock”?

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:41 am

Alice in Chains had one metal album...which was Facelift. The rest...with Staley anyway...was pure grunge.
I miss the comfort in being sad. Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim.