heaviest grunge song...

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: heaviest grunge song...

Post by incessantmace » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm

I think the heaviest thing by effect SG ever did was Black Rain. You got that floating, hypnotic intro and then THAT RIFF AND THAT BASS kick in. Made it straight to my all time SG top five and if you know me you know that's not easily done.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Am I the only one who thinks 4th of July? Earlier I would have said Nothing to Say, but that's mostly cause I had completely ignored 4th of July. I had played the song million times on the background, but when I first time actually heard the song.. Yeah.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am

Yeah 4th of July is a fair call too. Very very low distorted intro and bone-crushing riff. The lyrics aren't summer sunny stuff either.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat May 05, 2018 4:13 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am
Yeah 4th of July is a fair call too. Very very low distorted intro and bone-crushing riff. The lyrics aren't summer sunny stuff either.
Of course, Distorted ≠ Heavy.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Mon May 07, 2018 1:04 am

100% agree with 4th of July.
I mean, Beyond the Wheel, Gun, Slaves, Room, Birth Ritual, Outshined, Black Rain -- they're all great, but they're nowhere near as utterly bleak, crushing and oppressive as 4OJ, just takes the cake by many miles.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | grunge tumblr | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Mon May 07, 2018 3:08 pm

People mention the lyrics to 4OJ. Heavy doesn’t necessarily mean dark. The lyrics from JCP and Outshined aren’t ‘dark’ particularly.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm not mentioning the lyrics though, I'm more mentioning the downtuned guitars and ball-crushing bass and sludgy-doom pace.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | grunge tumblr | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 am

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm
I'm not mentioning the lyrics though, I'm more mentioning the downtuned guitars and ball-crushing bass and sludgy-doom pace.
yup this

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 am
BleedTheFreak wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm
yup this
Agree. It's so sludgy and dark and DAMN GOOD!
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 am

For a pop album, some of the stuff of Flop’s Whenever You’re Ready is heavy as fuck. The intro to Great Valediction is about as thrash as you can get.