how i discovered grunge

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Y2K-kyle

Re: how i discovered grunge

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Schneider wrote:What did you buy?
You're not going to like it, but Arctic Monkeys' Favourite Worst Nightmare. I know I said once here I think, but it's my favorite album from them and it's pretty hard to find their albums here before AM was released.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

oh_mags
Grunge fan

Post by oh_mags » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Didn't realize how old this forum would be. But it is very hard to find other people who like grunge these days unfortunately. I discovered grunge when I was 14. I always listened to classic rock growing up, The Rolling Stones and AC/DC were favorites of mine. Then somehow I got involved with rap. Not sure what I was thinking. I couldn't find music that I could truly identify with. Then I heard breed by nirvana for the first time and never looked back. I'm an extremely angsty teen and I love the counter cultural aspect of grunge and challenging yourself to explore life on your own without society telling you what to do. I read a great book called "Grunge is Dead" by Greg Prato. And that exposed me to earlier grunge bands like Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, and Malfunkshun. Grunge changed my life and I am so grateful to all the artists.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 pm

You can find lots of grunge fanatics on the internet if you search for grunge pages on social media. There are tons on facebook, for example.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Grunge made my brain melt, stay away!!!
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

treborillusion
Grunge fanatic
Location: Thornton Heath, London Borough of Croydon / Soho, City of Westminster, GB

Post by treborillusion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 pm

I was 16 in England fresh out of secondary school and enrolled in at Coulsdon College when I befriended a self confessed Grunger/art student...
I asked him as popular thought had lead me to belief in my secondary school Haling Manor High School that Grungers worshipped the Devil, so I asked
"Do you worship the Devil?"
and he said
"What?"
"No?"
So we hit it off, cool guy, got stoned with him a bunch of times.
A bunch of times, knew him for a couple of years after college.
Later, a friend originally from the Philippines who I met getting stoned in Croydon, got me into metal when I was 23..
But... We used to get high/drunk and play the guitar a lot, that was when I retired from harder drugs and happy hardcore music...
I knew all these songs my Filipino friend taught me about from The Black Sheep Bar and Harp Rock Pub in Croydon... but my friend when I was 23 taught me
more about Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down, and what band was what song etc..

Friends.

Family since I grew up with Nevermind by Nirvana in my house on CD too.

Me and music saw me teaching myself guitar when I was 12 and listening to Guns N' Roses records privately as I enjoyed them since I was a baby but when Take That came out and I said I listened to Guns N' Roses, girls my age and a little older who were fans of Take That teased me for liking Guns N' Roses... Later the same thing happened in secondary school, I started listening to Guns N' Roses again (took a little break) and my friends/kids used to tease me, so I was pressured away from Rock...
Then when I was 14 I went to America, came back when I was 15.. Went from South London to Suburban America for half a month in November 2001..
I came back not caring and told everybody when I came back to school of my love of Guns N' Roses and then, around 14/15.. Jimi Hendrix..
I was a self confessed Buddhist guitarist Hippie when I was 15 when I came back to school; I had previously been all 'init init init init ya get me init init init' (but still playing the guitar) before America.
I was 4 when I got into Guns N' Roses.