Mark Lanegan's Memoir: Sing Backwards and Weep

Talk about the formidable Screaming Trees, the first band I ever saw live (opening for Soul Asylum and Spin Doctors in the early 90s).

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Mark Lanegan's Memoir: Sing Backwards and Weep

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Today, in the US at least, Mark's memoir came out and I found out he was releasing an Audible (audiobook) version with him narrating.

I'm about to finish Chapter 4 and it's been amazing thus far. He gives such an insight into his childhood and the workings of the Screaming Trees, which I'll admit I've finally starting to enjoy their work despite my love for Lanegan. I plan on getting a physical copy down the line but man I'm so happy to find an audio version.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Re: Mark Lanegan's Memoir: Sing Backwards and Weep

Post by XsInMyEyes »

I did not know this was out, thank you for posting it

You have been a fan of Lanegan for a while, but never got into the Trees until now? That is an unusual approach to exploring one’s career...

I don’t do audiobooks at all. If I decide to take a gander at this, I’ll be getting a physical copy, if it is available in my far-flung lands...
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time. It's still unfashionable to beleive in principles.Let the Music Play.
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

XsInMyEyes wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm
You have been a fan of Lanegan for a while, but never got into the Trees until now? That is an unusual approach to exploring one’s career...
I know it's weird. I think I first heard him through his contributions with Queens of the Stone Age, specifically Hanging Tree. I then moved on to his solo work before giving Nearly Lost You a listen. Being used to his solo stuff and hearing that threw me off and turned me off of the Trees. I then listened to a few tracks off of their final release Last Words: The Final Recordings and liked what I heard, even though it was a major departure of their normal sound from their Epic Records years.

It's been an interesting journey for me when it comes to Lanegan but hey he's still will be one of my favorites.
otherimprov wrote:
boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

I've been enjoying it a lot here as well. Marks voice is really rich and full. Just kind of slides around your brain when you listen.

Post by Y2K-kyle »

boxcar wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:15 pm
I've been enjoying it a lot here as well. Marks voice is really rich and full. Just kind of slides around your brain when you listen.
Exactly! And he's a really good storyteller as well. I know he's most likely reading his book/transcript but he draws you in.
otherimprov wrote:
j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

XsInMyEyes wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm
if it is available in my far-flung lands...
Its released through White Rabbit Books. Although the audiobook is well worth it.

I read it through Google books after the audiobook release was delayed by 24 hour. Took me 7 hours. And am nearly finished the audio, about an hour to go.I was expecting more stories about Layne maybe. Also, he's used it like a script for every interview and podcast he has done for months. Not a terrible read. A cross between Junkie, Basketball Diaries and Prozac Nation. Not a masterpiece, but enjoyable.
:twisted:
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

And to add on to the thread, his album Straight Songs of Sorrow came out yesterday and it is amazing.
otherimprov wrote: