How does anybody today still get into these guys?

Love rock extraordinaires! Between Malfunkshun and Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

How does anybody today still get into these guys?

Post by incessantmace » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:20 am

Okay, I'm in provocative mode, so here goes: :twisted:

Seriously, of all the "known" grunge/Seattle bands, why the obsession with MLB? None of us - as I take it - saw them live, they only released one album and an EP, and I find it really hard to recapture the charisma Andy was supposed to emanate. Plus, they were more glam than anything else, and if it weren't for Temple of the Dog, hardly anyone would remember MLB. Malfunkshun lasted longer and were more "grunge"/"underground", MLB's successor Pearl Jam were the mega-selling band that fit the Nirvana/Gen X bill better than MLB could ever have.

So what the hell do you guys see in that band that made them that much different from any other street-glam'n'roll band of the time like, say, Guns N' Roses? :?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

j-bug
Site Admin

Re: How does anybody today still get into these guys?

Post by j-bug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:22 am

because they where awesome!because the lyrics are sheer genius,and because well,they where awesome!

it isnt just TotD that lead people into MLB.Alice In Chains-Would?,the now gone MLB,Singles,Pearl Jam,etc.
:twisted:

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:15 am

I don't really like MLB...they're alright and they've got some decent songs but none of them really clicked with me. Honestly I don't get why they were more well known than Love Battery or Truly, or Seaweed or Bundle of Hiss.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 am

thats why you should get the fuck out of here before i hunt you down with this damn fucking huge polar bear.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 am

What I meant to say is that I LOVE MOTHER LOVE BONE, HOLY SHIT THEY WERE AMAZING! AND JENNA TOO, SHE'S SUPER SMART AND BEAUTIFUL ON THE INSIDE AND OUT!
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:20 am

:mrgreen:

better.i feel you may have a long way to go,but you are learning well.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am

I'm not a huge MLB fan, but I suppose I can see the appeal, I guess. When you put on the "Stardog Champion" album, although it's a recording, it still has some type of electricity and that raw power that you can only get live attached with it. I can picture the whole band smiling jumping around while strumming along to "Mindshaker Meltdown" or whatever. We never got the oppurtunity to see them live or really know that much about them, for me their records capture their live prescence pretty good, that same energy, passion and hoopla is attached to every song.

Like Jenna said too, his lyrics are second to none. He has a knack for writing, he did it in Malfunkshun and does it even better with MLB.

And something that I kinda discovered too from a friend who admitted this to me a few weeks ago. Perhaps the story of MLB and Andy Wood sparked people's interest. I mean think about it, a man from nowhere Washington forms a band Malfunkshun, who cracks jokes, wears make-up and struts around on stage, forms MLB with members of PJ still wearing make-up and strutting around wearing glitzy and sometimes ridiculous outfits for entertainment, releasing one album and could've achieved much greater success before Nirvana or Soundgarden.....That's a hell of a story!!! maybe Andy's life attracts people to his music, he was an average guy, with a great sense of humor who was an entertainer and musician who loved interacting and playing around on stage. If I heard his story before listening to them, i'd be pretty interested in hearing what the music sounded like too.

cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:58 am

I wonder what's Jan going to do if Noor discover this thread :lol:
For those about to polka... we salute you

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm

cobalt wrote:I wonder what's Jan going to do if Noor discover this thread :lol:
I'm a man, I can take it :mrgreen:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 pm

incessantmace wrote:
cobalt wrote:I wonder what's Jan going to do if Noor discover this thread :lol:
I'm a man, I can take it :mrgreen:
For those about to polka... we salute you

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 pm

:lol:

JAMik
Grunge maniac

Post by JAMik » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I Think In MLB Stone wrote a songs closer to Brad that Pearl Jam type od songs.Andy was a great singer,and piano player.Man of golden words is just beautiful.When I discoverd this band I had somethink like "Listen people! If you don't know this,just check it".

I played Man of golden words and other favorite Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns for my Grandmother...She said that Andy had a great vocal and sad that He is dead.

Andy for me was a cross of Layne little bit and a power of Ed Vedder,very sad voice and just great songs,and maybe that's why people are still "crazy" about them today :)
Check my band POLIGON NR. 4 (GRUNGE) on YOUTUBE or FACEBOOK or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM

"I should be dead by know..."

Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:48 am

Because, Mother Love Bone represents HAPPINESS. :) The music is great, they had a great frontman, and MLB is one of the most cheerful grungebands I know. I agree with Mike's point of view, I can't really explain for the rest. Apart from the great music, maybe because Andy was extraordinary? I really don't know. :P They make me feel happy.

Edit: To answer the topic's question; I tried to listen to PJ first, sadly the first song I heard of them was Black. I thought it was a dull song, so I didn't dig any further into the PJ universe. I read about the band's history and thus started listening to MLB, which I liked WAY better than PJ. Anyway, the Love for PJ has grown and the Love for MLB stayed. :mrgreen:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Post by mad_submarine » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 am

Mother Love Bone cheerful? I've never really felt that. I've asked myself many times, why the heck they are so goddamn special to me and I still haven't found the exact answer. I don't know if it is the music, the lyrics or just Andy's voice. But there is SURELY magic in their music. The more I listen to them, the more I love them. And let's say it again - THE LYRICS. This is what I call music with soul.
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]

ScreamingLife
Grunge maniac

Post by ScreamingLife » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

I wouldnt call MLB cheerful, because the lyrics essentially read: "im fucked up" but it does have an interesting upbeat spin on that, which is why they kick ass.
Check out Seattle's own, MIND VICE

www.MINDVICE.com