Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Love rock extraordinaires! Between Malfunkshun and Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 28

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Post by incessantmace »

By the way, I did a rehash of my article on Malfunkshun on that German wiki I write for. Not sure if anybody understands the language but I'd just like you to know that grunge history and present is also taken care of in ze land of ze former Deutschmark ;)

http://indiepedia.de/index.php?title=Malfunkshun
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

Can't POSSIBLY shove a grungeforum reference in there?

Since (Thanks Jeff!) They DID appear on one of the cds..
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me :) What was the exact title again?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Paul1966 wrote: Would Andy have done solo stuff? Maybe, but listen to Return to Olympus and Apple back to back... Apple was great and Return was not.
Oh but I LOVED Return.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

Return wasn't that great....It has more sentimental value for me than anything....I liked it when I first listened to it but than I started to accumulate other records I found out quickly it was a mediocore album. I guess that's why I always preferred MLB over Malfunkshun, although Malfunkshun AND Green River got me started, so I remain loyal.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

You don't have to think hard to understand every action we take affects everything around us. Take away or change any moment of what the people in any of those bands did and you will be left with a completely different outcome. Even outside forces play a factor. What if the mailman lost the mamason tape in the mail for a few days and the bend decided to go with someone else before hearing it? What if Andy and Chris hadn't become roommates? No Pearl Jam. What if Jack Irons couldn't find Eddie to give him the tape? You could make up any one of infinite possibilities and the whole world changes. Think about it, if Pearl Jam never came to be would we even be in this forum right now? Would Grunge Forum exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 »

boxcar wrote:Would Grunge Forum exist without Andrew Wood's death?
Interesting point... it's very true that one detail different could change everything. Personally, I think I'd rather have Andy and Layne and Stephanie and Mia alive and less interest in grunge music. Overall, I think I'd like a Seattle music scene that never had heroin, meth and crack involved.

The music world would be a different place, to be sure, but human lives are more important to me than any form of music. Having said that, I understand that it was their time to be done with this life and I am at peace with that.
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 »

malfunkshun333 wrote:I don't know if there would have been Pearl Jam as we know it now, but there wouldn't have been Love Bone for much longer either.
I've recently read a couple good books on the Seattle grunge scene and I'm understanding your point better now. I believe you are probably right about MLB not lasting.
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Post by Mr.BananaYeah »

SunnyJim wrote:
Pennyroyaltea wrote:Well would nirvana of contuined if kurt would of lived?

hmmm questions questions questions
I don't think so, in "About A Son" Kurt says he wanted to join Hole.
Do you mean 'Been a Son?' Cause that's about how Kurts dad wanted Kurts sister to be a boy
[quote="Thurston_Whore"]Hey,Welcome to the forum just thought i'd give you my site adress and mabye suprise the wife for her birthday this year?
http://www.sextoys.co.uk/cat_Dildos.asp?dept=0?dealer=2035[/quote]

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

About a son is a documentary man :)
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

grungebeautiful
Grunge fanatic

Post by grungebeautiful »

here's my take on it - eddie had some of the songs off ten written already (in his head at least) so whatever parts he had down, someone else would have contributed..but if Andy hadn't died, of course - PJ wouldn't have Stone or Jeff to contribute, so everything would sound entirely very different. So yeah, I think that Eddie Vedder would have gone on to create Pearl Jam (or whatever title it would have cultivated) but it would sound very different with the members he would have had to choose, because none of the MLB guys would have been available. I'd like to think that he still would have gotten McCreedy to play with him - I mean, where would we all be without that solo in Alive? [:
"they made a big mistake - they didn't go further&find more of the bands that were already here. thats what makes me feel guilty about the success of our band" - EDDiE VEDDER

OVERCAST HYPE GRUNGE RADIO

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

I think that eddie, being extremely talented and already involved with music that was making waves, would have at least gone somewhere, or maybe he would've just been a drugged up alcoholic surfer guy who worked part time jobs and had family issues, who knows
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

Heheh, waves.

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

It's terribly sad to think about, but no I don't think it would. Jeff and Stone would still be in Mother Love Bone when they made it big (because they would've :wink2: ) And Eddie MAYBE would've made a band called Pearl Jam, but I doubt it'd be very big. But how would I know that? They could've been equally as big. And Eddie would look at Stone and Jeff, and see into the alternate universe where he's in a band called Pearl Jam with them. Trippy.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

Moon_Jelly
Grunge fan

Post by Moon_Jelly »

There's no way that Pearl Jam would exist without Wood's death. His death is what brought Stone and Jeff together with (then-nobody) Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready in Temple of the Dog.