Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Love rock extraordinaires! Between Malfunkshun and Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 28

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Re: Would Pearl Jam exist without Andrew Wood's death?

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:48 pm

SayHello2Hevean wrote:
Pennyroyaltea wrote:
iasc wrote:They would not exist since MLB were just about to become big
Not necassarily, they were huge in Seattle, but I dont know about everyone else
Well, they were signing with a major label. So someone somewhere had confidence in the bands success elsewhere.
But that isnt a garantee that they will be huge, there are tons of people that sign to major labels and only make one album that isnt successful.

Dont get me wrong, I love MLB. Im not saying that they wouldnt succeed, but the masses taste in music isnt good enough to get it if you ask me
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Well according to the film Malfunkshun some of the guys in the band weren't sure MLB would have lasted. Green River had to break up in order for MLB to exist and no one in Green River died to make that happen. I could see MLB making a huge splash and then fading after a few years, then Pearl Jam could've formed.

One of the nice things about having only one full album and one EP is that they never had time to record something that sucked. What if Andy had lived and the followup to Apple wasn't so good? (think G'n'R following up Appetite) Would anyone still be talking about Andy or would he have faded like Soundgarden did until the recent reunion?
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm

^soundgarden broke up, if they hadn't I don't think they would've faded, and I almost feel like MLB reached a larger audience because Andy died and pj were formed, because after pj got big people probably heard about MLB simply because it was pre-pearl jam. Pj are one of my favorite bands and Eddie has too much talent as a vocalist to have been thrown to the side, but andy was passionate about the music and had a desire to succeed, he was truly a lost talent
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, Soundgarden broke up, but what I meant was that they faded from the collective conscience of the music world. Take Led Zeppelin, they broke up in 1980, but are still regarded as one of the most influential bands in history, Van Halen, on the other hand, are still around, were hugely influential and nobody cares anymore.

Would Pearl Jam have 'made it' if Nirvana hadn't already brought the spotlight here? I don't know. Soundgarden was nominated for a Grammy for Ultramega OK which predated Nevermind, so they were already on their way, but without Nirvana, they, too, would still be lesser known.

I truly believe MLB would have brought the spotlight prior to Nirvana had things gone differently. I also think 'grunge' would be where it is now either way. It was a trend that came and went, just like disco, punk and hair metal. Sure all of those are still around, but none are as big as they once were.

t's really great that you all are carrying the torch and keeping it alive.

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't know if there would have been Pearl Jam as we know it now, but there wouldn't have been Love Bone for much longer either.

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am

malfunkshun333 wrote:I don't know if there would have been Pearl Jam as we know it now, but there wouldn't have been Love Bone for much longer either.

What makes you say that?

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Paul1966 wrote:
malfunkshun333 wrote:I don't know if there would have been Pearl Jam as we know it now, but there wouldn't have been Love Bone for much longer either.

What makes you say that?
I knew Andy. His family is my family, and alot of his friends are my friends. His heart wasn't in Love Bone at the point that he left us. He was headed back to work on a new Malfunkshun record. A mutual friend of mine and Andy's were having this same conversation about him less than an hour ago...

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Interesting.

So if MLB had hit it big and went off on an arena tour, you think Andy would have quit to rejoin Malfunkshun? Very interesting. indeed.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm not the one to say this but my impression of Andy is that he was a honest person, in the end cared more about the music than the money.
So yeah, it seems very possible MLB wouldn't have been much longer and that he would have gone back together with Malfunkshun.
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Didn't he say he wanted to play big stadiums?

And Mercury wasn't going to let him go freely.

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 am

Elektra Foxx wrote:
And Mercury wasn't going to let him go freely.
His contract with Polygram allowed for solo albums/different projects. He would've been able to not be in MLB and still fullfill his contract to them.

There was a reason why Andy chose not to attend the meeting with potential Road Managers on that fateful March 16th night...

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:41 pm

I doubt he would have bailed after one record. Malfunkshun was never close to Mother Love Bone talent-wise. 'There was a reason he didn't go to the meeting...' yeah, he wanted to get high.

I realize you want to further the name Malfunkshun since you are performing under that name, but I can say from experience that nobody bails on the band that made them a star right after they become a star... sure, MLB wouldn't have lasted, but how many bands from that era did?

Would Andy have done solo stuff? Maybe, but listen to Return to Olympus and Apple back to back... Apple was great and Return was not. Andy needed the boys to write music that fit his songs and he found that in MLB. In fact, without Stone, Return to Olympus would have never gotten a real release.

I think Mother Love Bone would have lasted 'til about '97 and then faded away.

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

That's cool. You're 100% entitled to your opinion, Paul.

Keep in mind Olympus was recordings done between 83-86. Most of it done when Andy was 17. And was stuff that was incomplete and most not done in a studio even. It was actually more to do with Regan than Stone that it was released. Regan was part of Loosegroove as well.

According to Andy himself, months worth of journals he left behind, MANY letters he wrote to friends, family and media... he was burned out on MLB and wasn't in love with the music anymore. He would have left before the end of 1990.

Good conversation tho, and for those of us that knew Andy it's always warming to our heart that 22 years later, people are still talking about him and his music!

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 am

I think it's amazing Andy still generates passion and concern, especially considering that none of his bands really broke that big to have an artistic or commercial impact as big as Nirvana's or Pearl Jam's.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

incessantmace wrote:I think it's amazing Andy still generates passion and concern, especially considering that none of his bands really broke that big to have an artistic or commercial impact as big as Nirvana's or Pearl Jam's.
100% agree! It's really amazing the passion that follows him, but it's easy to understand as well for those of us that knew him! But being as close to the family as I am (I talk to his mom on the phone 3 times a week or so. She is my second Mom. Kevin is not only a band mate, but my daughters Godfather) the appreciation that is felt by them for the passion that is still is AMAZING!