How does anybody today still get into these guys?

Love rock extraordinaires! Between Malfunkshun and Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Re: How does anybody today still get into these guys?

Post by sodajerk93 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 pm

I also wonder why they're considered grunge - they sound literally nothing like any other grunge band, and if they weren't related to Pearl Jam, Green River, etc. I feel like most grunge fans would hate them. There's no question to why they're so appealing though - the lyrics and music are awesome, and Andy has charisma on the recordings as well as he probably did live. I would consider them to be in the same genre as Guns n' Roses honestly...but I'd also consider Guns n' Roses to be in a different, better genre than all the other 80s glam-metal bands.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

Logan Ruckman
Grunge maniac

Post by Logan Ruckman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:16 am

I actually listened to do MLB before TotD. I love Mother Love Bone. They're one of my favorite bands, so I have to respectfully disagree.
Check Out Happy Katana- http://happykatana.wordpress.com

shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 am

Gotta love your Ocarina of Time sig, Mr/Mrs Person. The best game ever
A master of blöjäri.

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:54 pm

incessantmace wrote:None of us - as I take it - saw them live...
Really? You guys never saw them?

I saw them at Bumbershoot in '89, at the Vogue sometime in '90 and one other time I can't exactly recall... Pretty sure I saw Malfunkshun as well, but I saw so many bands back then it becomes a bit of a blur.

One thing I recall is hearing Shine prior to Louder Than Love, I thought Shine was excellent and Louder Than Love was okay. Guys I knew in bands all hated MLB and loved Soundgarden. I think I liked MLB from the beginning because they were fun. A lot of the bands were just so full of angst and MLB was just fun.
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Paul1966 wrote:

I saw them at Bumbershoot in '89, at the Vogue sometime in '90 and one other time I can't exactly recall... Pretty sure I saw Malfunkshun as well, but I saw so many bands back then it becomes a bit of a blur.

One thing I recall is hearing Shine prior to Louder Than Love, I thought Shine was excellent and Louder Than Love was okay. Guys I knew in bands all hated MLB and loved Soundgarden. I think I liked MLB from the beginning because they were fun. A lot of the bands were just so full of angst and MLB was just fun.
Hey, seems like you have a lot of cool stories, I would kill to have seen MLB, but, i don't think you've introduced yourself, mind going over to the introductions section and telling us a little more about yourself?
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Dude, MLB is way heavier than Guns N' Roses.
Let's not simplify the physics of music here, it is the small details which differs them to other bands.
Every little bit of a recording puts an imprint on the song, every sound that bounces into the microphones
is altered by whatever they just bounced on thus gives information of the surroundings (that is how hearing
works ladies and gentlemen!), which means you don't magically get the charisma, it is in fact there.
The whole studio/stage/whatever is there god damn it! :o

Anyhow, MLB was an important part of grunge history and to me that is exciting.
I'm not on this forum only because the music, the story is a BIG part of it too.
And besides, even though they released relatively little, I really like what I've heard!

Pretty sure Jeff have seen them by the way!
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:13 am

Paul1966 wrote:
Remember Paul, we're all at least a decade younger than you (if not two to three!), plus only very few of us actually are from Seattle and thus had the potential opportunity to see MLB. I'm sure your stories will find lots of attentive listeners though, so share with us whatever you've got! 8D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am

incessantmace wrote:Remember Paul, we're all at least a decade younger than you (if not two to three!), plus only very few of us actually are from Seattle and thus had the potential opportunity to see MLB. I'm sure your stories will find lots of attentive listeners though, so share with us whatever you've got! 8D
I think the part that surprised me was the statement "none of us", it surprised me that there'd be a forum online about grunge by anyone who wasn't there. It's been my experience in the Seattle area that the only people with an interest in grunge were those of us who lived through it.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

I think on Facebook you can find more "been-there-seen-it-lived-it"-grunge/Seattle communities. We're basically a bunch of wish-I-was-born-earlier persons, although some lucky few of us actually got to see the big grunge bands during the days of the big hype in the early nineties. Most of us didn't though.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Paul1966 wrote:
incessantmace wrote:Remember Paul, we're all at least a decade younger than you (if not two to three!), plus only very few of us actually are from Seattle and thus had the potential opportunity to see MLB. I'm sure your stories will find lots of attentive listeners though, so share with us whatever you've got! 8D
I think the part that surprised me was the statement "none of us", it surprised me that there'd be a forum online about grunge by anyone who wasn't there. It's been my experience in the Seattle area that the only people with an interest in grunge were those of us who lived through it.
Yeah I always wondered this as well. It seems like there'd be wayyy more people coming here who were actually there. Though we do get the actual grunge rocker from time to time (like the dude from 64 Spiders and Catt Butt, and now Jeff the new singer from Malfunkshun, and Daniel House has been stopping by from time to time recently).
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:38 pm

incessantmace wrote:We're basically a bunch of wish-I-was-born-earlier persons, although some lucky few of us actually got to see the big grunge bands during the days of the big hype in the early nineties. Most of us didn't though.

That's how it is at the Randy Rhoads forum I belong to... a few members got to see him live - one even took lessons from him - but most of us really appreciated his genius only after he died, which by the way was March 19, 1982.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am

It took a long time but I finally listened to Apple today and it was a blast. I wished I had the insight to listen to them sooner.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

sadie

Post by sadie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am
It took a long time but I finally listened to Apple today and it was a blast. I wished I had the insight to listen to them sooner.
WHAT?!? OMG! well I guess better late than never, but damn!
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:46 pm

sadie wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 am
Y2K-kyle wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am
WHAT?!? OMG! well I guess better late than never, but damn!
YYYeeaahhh...I've been a bad boy. :lol:
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why