What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Re: What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Not sure it counts but I did watch Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (Our Friends) documentary and it was very good. Gives insight of the band, the members and Josh's, he wasn't there, recount of the Bataclan shootings, and the return to Paris to perform. When Jesse, the singer, ran down and hugged Josh was so touching.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Shaun the Sheep - Farmageddon :roll: :lol:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

I watched Midway yesterday. Since it's my favorite battle of the Pacific War - basically the first time the Americans managed to defeat the Japanese Navy resoundingly in a battle between aircraft carriers and were able to go into the offensive after six months of defeats post Pearl Harbor - I was really excited to learn there was a new movie about that (the last one, also called Midway, was from 1976). Roland Emmerich - of Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow fame - directed it, so I expected bucketloads of American patriotism and otherwise hoped for the best.

I was, to a degree, surprised to see how historically accurate the film is in terms of the events included. Of course it's ripe with battle scenes that contain waaaaaaay more explosions and anti-aircraft fire than the real battles of that time actually featured, but believe me, you've never seen that many torpedoes missing their target or hitting it and then turn out duds, and it all happened exactly like that! :P

Also, apart from a few racial slurs (which can be forgiven in the context of the time and situations depicted), the movie pleasantly avoids any demonization of the Japanese, basically portraying them as soldiers trying to win a war that could have been avoided (the opening scenes set in 1937 do a quite good job in summarizing some key reasons why Japan could have felt attacing the US was their only way to secure their resource supplies after the oil embargo was implemented). Even the conflict between the radical military extremists and the "moderates" in 1930s/40s Japan is mentioned, so clichés are largely absent.

What's pretty much forgettable is much of the dialogue (war movie standard fare, although a few characters get at least a little more depth over the course of the film), and the reviews I saw said that the technical errors (flying manoeuvres that were impossible/and or court-martial material, basically things blowing up where in reality they, um, wouldn't) were too many to mention. But really, I love a good WW2 war movie, especially one with aircraft carriers and propeller planes, so I'll even watch this one a second time :D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Probably the documentary The Invisible Vegan. I saw it at a cultural hall that they showed it at not long ago. It's about Black vegans and how society tries to erase them. It was put up for free on youtube by the director in segments. Here's the playlist for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VA8jm ... NJ4pkm60De
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

I'm watching Dead Poets Society on the eve of my bday and I'm crying all the time :cry:

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

The Deer Hunter, from 1978. It is strange, seeing as I'm very interested in the Vietnam War I should in theory have seen it a thousand times by now, yet this was the first time I ever got around to watching it.
I enjoyed it to a considerable extent. It is a profound epic with a detailed realism of both war an working-class life, the former of which in particular I could feel playing with my emotions, and I should add some outstanding performances, but they spend too long a time setting the scene, in my opinion. I had to wait an hour and a half just to get to the scene where the main characters are captured in 'Nam.
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time.