Documentaries

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Documentaries

Post by incessantmace » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:32 am

I feel weird for still not having Netflix and hoarding DVDs instead :?

I'm looking for good docs about the Pacific War if anyone knows any...
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Grunge_Chick wrote:
Pennyroyaltea wrote:I've been meaning to watch the Falling Man but I don't think i'm mentally prepared for that right now.
Just a heads up, it wasn't gory or anything like that. The only potentially disturbing pictures would be of the people falling from the building. The documentary is more focused on the reactions of people to the pictures rather than replaying the scene over and over again.

I also watched Heidi Fleiss: Hollywood Madam and it was pretty good. I actually felt myself having empathy for Heidi. She had issues both mentally and with substance abuse. While what she was doing was illegal she wasn't the first or the last in Hollywood to operate a call girl service and seemed to be turned in due to the fact that she wasn't a snitch and others became jealous of her success.

I think you'd enjoy The Woman Who Wasn't There, it was on Netflix, may still be. It's about a woman who lied about her connections to 9/11, harrowing stuff!

Oh and I think you'd also like Cropsey and Just Melvin, Just Evil.
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm

incessantmace wrote:I feel weird for still not having Netflix and hoarding DVDs instead :?

I'm looking for good docs about the Pacific War if anyone knows any...

I LOVE DVDS, totally underrated. My brother bought me my first Blu Ray, bless him. But I don't have a Blu Ray player or a console that will play it lol.

I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure criterion has some. I'll keep an eye out an let you know if I stumble on any. :D

FOREVER!

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 pm

DVDs are a waste of space. Soz m8s.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 pm

No one asked you Dan. Soz M8.

FOREVER!

sadie

Post by sadie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:49 am

Pennyroyaltea wrote:
Oh and I think you'd also like Cropsey and Just Melvin, Just Evil.
Melvin doc was just awful :evil: Had to watch it through though, disgusting and fascinating at the same time.

I'm little jealous to other countries of their Netflix, ours is still very limited.
Do your have the sleep paralysis documentary? The Nightmare or something like that? Holy shit it was awful.

Also, recommending these (all in Netflix, sorry the long list): 13th (prisons), Blackfish (killer whales), The Hunting Ground (campus rape), Valley Uprising (rock climbing), Attacking The Devil (thalindome), Miss Representation (feminism), She's Beautiful When She's Angry (feminism), Muscle Shoals (music studio history thing), The Summit (one of my faves, K2 disaster), Inequality For All, Sunset Strip (SO GOOD), All This Mayhem (pro skater bros from Australia), Stretch And Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives (hip hop things), Hip-Hop Evolution, Gasland.

I think I've watched nearly every documentary in Netflix, no matter the subject :lol: Also, will watch anything that's free in the internet, recommendations always welcome.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:34 am

Yes! Just Melvin was really something else!

Out Netflix does have a lot of docs!

I love docs and will watch all the ones I can! Out Netflix is pretty decent but most docs I stream from two websites. I have them bookmarked because I don't want to give the incorrect URL I'll check it today and get back to you.

I'm like 99% sure one is documentaryheaven.com and the other I know with a 100% certainty is darkdocumentaries.com and of course there is always youtube! With some digging you'll find some gems there.

FOREVER!

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Has anyone else watched The Keepers on Netflix? I binged watched it all in a weekend and was completely engaged the whole time, Disturbing and thought provoking.

sadie

Post by sadie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:20 am

Grunge_Chick wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 pm
Has anyone else watched The Keepers on Netflix? I binged watched it all in a weekend and was completely engaged the whole time, Disturbing and thought provoking.
I did! I've never been into Catholic Church and this didn't help with that :roll: One of my friends in Ireland posted this yesterday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... U.facebook
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:02 am

sadie wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:20 am
Grunge_Chick wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 pm
I did! I've never been into Catholic Church and this didn't help with that :roll: One of my friends in Ireland posted this yesterday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... U.facebook
Wow! I'm still amazed that man was allowed to continue working with children in any capacity. I hope the documentary can lead to some answers or at the very least a new interest in the case. I was actually talking to a co-worker this past week about sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. We've had some "incidences" around here where priests have been moved around due to what appears to be abuse allegations. The first reaction of the Church doesn't seem to be concern for victims but rather "let's cover our ass" which is disgusting. It's not surprising that there is a huge issue with sex abuse in the Catholic Church. The church breeds a perfect storm to cover abuse and attract abusers. Abusers like to control and dominate so positions of power are always attractive to them. Add in the fact that the church protects their own and there is constant access to children, it seems like the perfect job for a sicko.