Documentaries

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Re: Documentaries

Post by Grunge_Chick » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Not too long ago I watched Capturing the Friedmans. It's about child abuse and a case that took place in the 80s I believe. What was incredibly interesting is that most of the footage comes from home videos from the Friedmans themselves. I thought it was very well done. It also brings up questions about police coercion, child abuse hysteria, and whether or not a pedophile is always a pedophile. Overall it was interesting.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm

The Act of Killing and the companion piece, The Look of Silence.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

sadie

Post by sadie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:55 am

Watched The Act Of Killing and don't really know what to think. It made my jaw drop more than once. I still have the Look Of Silence on my desktop waiting.

Something's Wrong With Aunt Diane still confuses me. I'm sure many have seen it on the news. I just don't believe in the simple "drunk and high" thing. I'm not saying she wasn't, but the way I see it, there has to be something else cause that's just not a reason for such a major fuck up. And the timeline is confusing also. Anyway.

A Summer In The Cage Painful to watch.

Crumb They were wonderfully open with each other, which was great. Refreshing. They didn't necessarily understand each other, but still, they let each other be what they were.

Until The Light Takes Us About Norway black metal scene. Quite entertaining, I've heard all the rumors, but I never bothered to check them up. Most of them were true apparently.

Also watched Blackfish, it's about Seaworld orchas. Everyone should watch it.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 am

sadie wrote: Also watched Blackfish, it's about Seaworld orchas. Everyone should watch it.
The one time I was late to work when it was my fault was because I had a dream about orcas the night before and it was beautiful, and then driving to work I started daydreaming about that movie and missed my exit on the freeway :P I was in the mood of saving orcas and got distracted.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 pm

I watched Mission to Lars today about a guy with Fragile X syndrome who wants to meet Lars from Metallica. It was pretty interesting and a very sweet documentary of how his brother and sister try to help him make his dream come true. It's on Amazon Prime if anyone is interested.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Mon May 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I recently saw Welcome to Leith, it's on American Netflix, I totally recommend it. Its about how a white supremacist wanted to create a "white town" and it backfires on him. Sad with moments of unintentional comedic levity (not the doc itself the Nazi's are just so foolish it's funny)

I also so a Just Melvin, Just Evil, it's an HBO Doc from the 90s. It was unnerving and made my jaw drop more than once. It's incredibly personal. The documentarian makes a doc about how his step grandfather abused his mother and aunts and all the problems it caused in the family and how it created a family riddled with drug addicts and rapists. (Not all of them of course)
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 pm

sadie wrote:
Something's Wrong With Aunt Diane still confuses me. I'm sure many have seen it on the news. I just don't believe in the simple "drunk and high" thing. I'm not saying she wasn't, but the way I see it, there has to be something else cause that's just not a reason for such a major fuck up. And the timeline is confusing also. Anyway.

I saw that doc, the entire ordeal was a bit strange. I really didn't like that they show her body after the crash, especially without warning.

FOREVER!

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue May 31, 2016 1:42 am

Watched Attacking The Devil on Netflix yesterday. It's about the thalindome baby coverup thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/j ... estigation

And last week I saw Carolyn Cassady doc, I loved it. It was a great example how celebrities (especially men) are put on a pedestal and seen in a certain way, and then the reality is a totally different thing.

I watched other things too, but can't remember. Two feminism docs.. She's Beautiful When She's Angry, Missrepresentation. Oh and Battle Of The Sexes, about tennis.

Mapplethorpe Look At The Pictures, HBO documentary. That man never stops amazing me.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 am

Pennyroyaltea wrote:
sadie wrote:

I saw that doc, the entire ordeal was a bit strange. I really didn't like that they show her body after the crash, especially without warning.
It is incredibly strange. You can't argue with toxicology results, especially when they were done several times. I have a feeling there is just more to the story we don't know. Perhaps she did have a drinking issue that nobody knew about or discussed or maybe she did have another medical condition. Either way she was drunk and high in the car with children.

I don't have an issue with showing the dead body but I can see how it may upset the family, perhaps they asked permission or thought it was necessary to show the end result of the crash. I deal with dead people all the time so I guess it just doesn't bother me.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 am

Dead people don't bother me either, but that's the first time I see it in a non historical context in a documentary and I feel like it didn't give anything to the doc. It seemed unnecessary in that context, and I feel there should of been a quick warning before the film or before the photo because not everyone is cool looking at that stuff.

FOREVER!

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:15 pm

I watched a few more documentaries:

Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer- This was pretty interesting. I don't think many would argue that Aileen Wuornos was abused and had a horrible childhood. Personally I think that some of her killings were in self defense and some were out of anger. I think she was ready to die and that is why she changed her story from defense to thrill killing. She was sick of being on death row and wanted to finally have it end. It's also pretty evident she has some mental issues that only became worse when she was in prison.

Biggie & Tupac- Another solid documentary. It didn't give me any new information about that case but it did provide ample evidence of what I already believed happened. If you don't know the story and theories behind their deaths I would recommend it. Just don't piss off Suge Knight.

9/11: The Falling Man-This was an unique documentary that I was happy I watched. It talks about the picture of the falling man from the World Trade Center. They try to figure out who the man is and talk about the impact of the photo. Personally I feel many people likely jumped because they knew they were going to die and wanted to at least control how it would happen. Would you rather burn alive, suffocate, or fall? I think many felt like they picked the lesser of the three evils. Obviously help wasn't coming. I can't imagine being in that situation.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:18 pm

I love the Aileen doc I think its criminal that her mental health wasnt really taken into account, or how much her girlfriend influenced her. I think she should of been put away in a mental institution, but not killed.

I've been meaning to watch the Falling Man but I don't think i'm mentally prepared for that right now.

FOREVER!

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Pennyroyaltea wrote:I've been meaning to watch the Falling Man but I don't think i'm mentally prepared for that right now.
Just a heads up, it wasn't gory or anything like that. The only potentially disturbing pictures would be of the people falling from the building. The documentary is more focused on the reactions of people to the pictures rather than replaying the scene over and over again.

I also watched Heidi Fleiss: Hollywood Madam and it was pretty good. I actually felt myself having empathy for Heidi. She had issues both mentally and with substance abuse. While what she was doing was illegal she wasn't the first or the last in Hollywood to operate a call girl service and seemed to be turned in due to the fact that she wasn't a snitch and others became jealous of her success.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Let's see...Here are some I've watched lately:

Holy Hell (Available on Netflix): Thom and I watched this and I think we both were unaware of this group. The documentary explores the Buddhafield cult that existed in the 80s and still exists today. They started in West Hollywood and now operate out of Hawaii. The creator of the documentary is a former member and the videographer for the cult while he was involved in their group. The most amazing thing to me was how the leader is still operating and able to pick up a group of followers so quickly. If you're interested in cults and things of that nature this is something you may want to watch.

Asperger's Are Us (Available on Netflix): I don't really know much about Asperger's. My friend for 25 years is a part of the autism spectrum so as I watched this things started to click for me in regards to my experiences with her. The film is about a group of young men who formed a comedy group. They all have Asperger's and are all geniuses in their own right. Their humor is dark, witty, and after watching some of their videos I was incredibly impressed and laughing out loud. I really enjoyed this documentary and found myself googling more info about them. If they had a show near me, I would be there.

Glory Daze: Time and life of Michael Alig (Available on Netflix): If you're familiar with the Club Kids scene in the 90s or the movie Party Monster, you will know the name Micahel Alig. Growing up I remember the Club Kids on Donahue and other talk shows. They seemed so mystical and fabulous. I wanted to dress up like them and be outrageous and wonderful. Obviously things didn't end well as one ended up dead and Alig in prison. This documentary examines the rise of the Club Kids, the murder, and catches up with Alig after his recent release. I've seen several things on this topic but this is a good overall view of that scene and Alig. I'd recommend it if you lived through the 90s and are familiar with the Club Kids. Not the best, but interesting and I must say, while I think Michael Alig is a possible sociopath, he still made me giggle with his outrageous and inappropriate humor.

Swimming in Auschwitz (Available on Prime): Sometimes I get in the mood to cry. When I do I often find myself revisiting the history and horror of WWII and the holocaust. I think it's important we continue to remember and hear the stories of those who survived. This is a story of several women who lived through the Holocaust. Their stories are gripping and interesting as well as horrifying. The thing that stuck out to me was their humor and tenacity. I finished the documentary wanting to know more about them, wishing I could sit down and talk to each of them.

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 am

I watched Holy Hell too, Asperger's Are Us is on my list waiting. Also, I watched some club kids doc, I don't think it was the one you did though. Have to check that one out if I can find it.

Last night I watched one of Pappas brothers, Ben and Tas (All This Mayhem, at least Fin Netflix has it). A sad story all around :(