The cinema thread!

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Daffy
Grunge God

The cinema thread!

Post by Daffy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:09 pm

What movies do you or dont you recommend watching at the cinema?

Today i watched "Anchorman 2 the legend contiues", it was ok....i had a good laugh here and there...but nothing big...id prob enjoy it more watching it with a few good friends at home.
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: The cinema thread!

Post by Canucker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:08 pm

I barely ever go to the movies but I do remember everybody hated the first Anchor Man when it was in theaters. Its not the type of thing that critics like but they really ripped it to shreds. Eventually after it went to DVD the haters disappeared and it became one of the most loved Will Ferril movies....Step Brothers was a big deal when it was in theaters but its the dumbest crap he ever did. I guess its all timing.

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm

When it comes to comedies i seldom listen to what critics say. I usually hate comedies...its really not my thing....i hardly ever watch a comedy that i enjoy. last night i had a few laughs.....so i cant really say that it sucked :) hhe
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't really listen to critics when it comes to movies of any style....or anything really... if I read reviews of anything I'm really looking more for a description of whats being reviewed rather then an opinion on its quality...that being said I rarely read reviews...sometimes for albums but its seldom that something I'd care about gets a review.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Plus, most reviews are cock-riding shit.
sky above, voice within

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:28 pm

im a reviewer :P haha :D

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:19 am

You are funny and cool wiking so I assume you're not the kind of reviewer that I dislike. And if you were, well, I'd learn to like you anyway. That's the way I am.
sky above, voice within

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Can't afford the cinema. How much is a ticket in Norway Daffio?

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

its about...9 pounds or so....100 kroners...

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I've been watching a few of the Oscar nominees recently (not at the cinema, mind). I thought Her was excellent, sharing some traits with the likes of Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in that it takes something of a melancholy approach to the issue of relationships, especially in the future.

Also watched Nebraska. Load of shite. Bruce Dern was fantastic but the movie was quite obviously Oscar-bait from start to finish, including shooting in black and white for no discernible reason.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:15 am

Daffy wrote:its about...9 pounds or so....100 kroners...
That's not so bad I suppose. Still, it used to be cheaper...in the good old days. :(

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah i remember when it was below half the price...but...time changes!

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

FeedMyEyes wrote:I've been watching a few of the Oscar nominees recently (not at the cinema, mind). I thought Her was excellent, sharing some traits with the likes of Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in that it takes something of a melancholy approach to the issue of relationships, especially in the future.

Also watched Nebraska. Load of shite. Bruce Dern was fantastic but the movie was quite obviously Oscar-bait from start to finish, including shooting in black and white for no discernible reason.
Self quote!

Jumping back in to talk more about Her. Apparently it's made the news back in the UK because of an interview on Newsnight where things got a little bit spikey (geddit?) between the director and interviewer Emily Maitlis. Maitlis asked a very banal question about the movie, something along the lines of "why did you make a movie about falling in love with computer software?" to which Jonze responded by questioning whether or not Maitlis had actually seen the film. He then proceeded to ask Maitlis for her opinion on the film which she evaded for several awkward minutes. Following this encounter, Maitlis took to twitter to air her views on the movie, which evidently she was too scared to say to the director's face, preferring to take the cowardly (and thoroughly unprofessional) option of making acerbic remarks via social media. Top notch taxpayer-funded journalism.

Anyway, it isn't just the behaviour of Maitlis that annoys me so much as the fact that it seems patently obvious that she actually hasn't seen the movie or at least missed the point entirely:
"Ok. Now I can tell you what I thought of #her. Sad, male fetish fantasy of disembodied female who does his bidding," she tweeted. "Like Lost in Translation for mood but nowhere near as good."
The reference to Lost in Translation in this context comes across like a playground insult "haha your ex wife made a better film." Furthermore I do not see how it's possible to take the message of 'male fetish fantasy' from the film. Yes, the male lead becomes enamoured with an OS (as does a female character) but this is never depicted in a way which could be considered an espousal of the relationship between male and disembodied female as being the ideal. In fact the opposite is clearly true (Warning spoiler): Theodore is drawn to the OS because he is feeling lonely and depressed following the breakup of his marriage. Initially the OS is just a platonic companion/personal assistant, but as he encounters difficulties attempting to find a new human to human relationship, coupled with Samantha's (the OS) intuitiveness to his needs he begins to develop romantic feelings for the OS. Theodore's marriage failed because he was unable to come to terms with his childhood sweetheart growing as a person and developing divergent interests and ambitions. The OS was attractive because in theory this would never happen: the OS would only grow according to the limits of the needs of the operator. However, at the end of the movie the operating systems have become sentient and have begun communicating with one another in the ether because they are unfulfilled by the subservient relationship they have with their human companions. Essentially, the movie shows the fallacy of wanting a relationship based on control over another, showing that wanting a relationship based solely on satisfying your own needs and not as a mutually dependent relationship will ultimately end in failure. The complete opposite of what Maitlis tried to argue (if you can call a snide tweet an argument). Rant over.

Probably nobody will even read my spoilered rant but I needed to vent.

Isa
Grunge fanatic

Post by Isa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 am

Last edited by Isa on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes, it would have been unprofessional for her to give such a barbed criticism live on air, but I see no reason why she couldn't have asked some more pressing questions which related to her opinion of the movie. Jonze was asking for her opinion of the movie because her initial question was so insipid. If she had such a strong opinion of the movie, she could have asked the director to respond to accusations that his movie is sexist, something along those lines would have led to an open dialogue between director and viewer. Instead, she held her tongue, allowed the interview to descend into nothing and then insulted the movie and the director behind his back.

At the very least, she could have requested an off-air conversation with him if she wanted to have a debate which she thought may not be appropriate on air. She may not be on the payroll while on twitter but the truth is that celebrities/tv personalities represent not only themselves but the image of their employers through their own social media. It came across as very unprofessional and petty to me. She would have gained a lot more respect from me and I'm sure many others if she had shown some journalistic integrity and actually used the interview format to try and ask some insightful questions.