Favorite TV shows

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

upchuck854
Grunge maniac

Favorite TV shows

Post by upchuck854 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:54 pm

With so many off-topic topics, Don't know if this is an original post, but anyways, I have noticed a huge amount of Walking Dead fans here, but what else is everyone into?! I'm watching Alcatraz with my girlfriend cause she likes it and I'm not a huge fan but that's what good boyfriends do right?! haha! I think Suburgatory's a clever show, and I'm a huge fan of Fringe. Anyone else have a favorite?
[color=#BF0040]One more quirky cliched phrase, you're the one I wanna refill[/color]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/upchuck854/awesomedesktope.jpg[/img][img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/upchuck854/fghr.png[/img]

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: Favorite TV shows

Post by Canucker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Freaks and Geeks is the best show EVER! NO CONTEST!

upchuck854
Grunge maniac

Post by upchuck854 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Wow I totally forgot about that show. I'm glad to see that local networks have highly improved some of their shows in the last couple years.
[color=#BF0040]One more quirky cliched phrase, you're the one I wanna refill[/color]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/upchuck854/awesomedesktope.jpg[/img][img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/upchuck854/fghr.png[/img]

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Canucker wrote:Freaks and Geeks is the best show EVER! NO CONTEST!
You're now my favorite member. Seriously!

whatever happened to it?
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Oh yeah I liked that show. I think it only had 1 season though. That's how I found out John Bonham was dead.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:That's how I found out John Bonham was dead.
lol I've never seen the show, although I can imagine how that went in the show.

Favorite TV shows?

Well there's Buffy, my favorite show.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Big Bang Theory
South Park
Invader Zim
That 70's Show
Beavis and Butthead (don't hate me)

This show called Renegade that was from the early 90s
And Sons of Anarchy.

I'm really interested in the biker subculture.

Anyone know any middle-eastern themed tv shows?

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Nirvaniac wrote:
KristinNirvana wrote:That's how I found out John Bonham was dead.

Beavis and Butthead (don't hate me)

And Sons of Anarchy.

I'm really interested in the biker subculture.
Lots of us here love Beavis and Butthead. Here's a thread for it http://grungeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=+beavis

I was always sort of interested in the biker subculture as well. I always sort of wanted to be a biker, though not the tough part or anything. Ha, I remember seeing commercials for that show, and it would always sort of attract my attention because of the scruffy-looking blonde dude.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Reno the Renegade was cool..

X-Files

V for Victory (old version of course)

Buffy (I loved watching it when I was a teen)

The outer limits (I used to sneak down and watch it when my folks went to bed, but it did me good... like apple pie..Mmmh...)

Star Trek TNG (Picard/Ryker..what a duo)

Sons of Anarchy

Supernatural

Game of Thrones

Tons more, i'll list when I can remember!
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

My favorites are The Simpsons, Almost Live!, Daria, Beavis and Butthead, 120 Minutes, Headbangers Ball, though those last two I've only seen clips on youtube, and I'm sure I'd love Alternative Nation if I get to watch it ever. Oh, also stuff like 3rd Rock from the Sun, Lost, The Office, Community, Parks and Recreation, and all my childhood cool 90s kid shows that I haven't seen that much since my youth.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:My favorites are The Simpsons, Almost Live!, Daria, Beavis and Butthead, 120 Minutes, Headbangers Ball, though those last two I've only seen clips on youtube, and I'm sure I'd love Alternative Nation if I get to watch it ever. Oh, also stuff like 3rd Rock from the Sun, Lost, The Office, Community, Parks and Recreation, and all my childhood cool 90s kid shows that I haven't seen that much since my youth.

Rugrats, Catdog, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Ahh Real Monsters, Doug, All That, Amanda Show.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 pm

1. The Wire

The Wire is the greatest show I've ever seen. David Simon is a genius who understands writing and character development better than any writer I've ever seen on TV. He managed to juggle like 25 main characters at one time and developed them as much as they needed to be developed and no more. Every character that wasn't developed was supposed to have a level of ambiguity to it that was realistic for whoever it was. Every character was likable and unlikable - with realistic flaws and realistic thoughts.

Aside from Character development, there was a heavy social commentary presented throughout the seasons that was both overt and subtle, sometimes in the same scenes. There was also fantastic cinematography that wasn't too sleek or shiny, which I greatly appreciated because it showcased the real, raw, grit of Baltimore without playing it up in any way.

If you consider yourself a fan of TV, you need to watch all 5 seasons of The Wire. All of them. It really sets the standard of quality TV.
(Everything after this is in a vague order, but no real particular order)

2. Breaking Bad
3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
4. The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross
5. Dexter
6. Weeds (only seasons 1-3)
7. Hey Arnold!
8. Rocko's Modern Life
9. House
10. South Park

(And everything after this is in no particular order)
11. Lost
12. The Kill Point
13. Band of Brothers
14. Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High (yeah, I'm aware it's a cliche shitpile teen melodrama. We all have our vices)
15. Invader ZIM
16. Beavis and Butthead
17. Cow and Chicken
18. Ed, Edd and Eddy
19. Ren and Stimpy
20. Rugrats
21. Tom and Jerry
22. Loony Toons
23. Freaks and Geeks
24. Arrested Development
25. The Simpsons
26. The Colbert Report
27. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 pm

The reasons that freaks and geeks died are many....the show was mishandled from the start by the network..it was on NBC which meant it needed huge ratings to stick around....episode one aired at the end of September...then they didn't air the second episode till late november....so people who liked it after the first episode thought it died and people who started at the second episode thought they missed a lot already......then the third episode was deemed to "aggressive" by the network (kims parents freaking out and the chase out of the house/ pounding on the car scene)...so it was never aired. Every time there was a major sporting event the show wasn't on....world series after the pilot? foot ball at thanksgiving?...tv stations base they're ad rates off of "sweeps month" which happens three months out of the year...so thats when they air stuff like "Movie off the week" I wanna say thats in October, Jan, and March...but I'm just guessing that I'm remembering those months correctly....so they never aired episodes then... another huge reason the show didn't get a chance was they changed the night it was on so many times it was impossible to follow...often it wouldn't be in the tv guide because they didn't know long enough in advance so they would air tv ads to say what night it would be on that week. By the end of the season they had pushed the show around so much and skipped weeks so often that they aired the last three episodes all on one night (a saturday). After that it was rumored all summer long that NBC dropped it but Fox picked it up......I waited all summer. I scanned the TV guide like mad when September came around....then by the end of Oct. I read that it wasn't going to be on Fox it was going to be on Fox Kids...which I didn't get...no new episodes were made so all I can think was that they were airing or had planned to air reruns on Fox Kids. Then we got to watch as all the characters popped up in other shows (Sam in The Gina Davis Show, Kim in Dawsons Creek, Kim and Lindsey in ER, Nick in How I met Your Mother, Neal in one episode of Still Standing) or Movies (huge list there too)....I think it was a four or five year wait for the show to finally come out on DVD and I've watched it like twenty times since! I bought a DVD player the day before it came out and then was there at two in the afternoon when the dvds hit the shelf!

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am

Really?
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 am

Canucker wrote:The reasons that freaks and geeks died are many....the show was mishandled from the start by the network..it was on NBC which meant it needed huge ratings to stick around....episode one aired at the end of September...then they didn't air the second episode till late november....so people who liked it after the first episode thought it died and people who started at the second episode thought they missed a lot already......then the third episode was deemed to "aggressive" by the network (kims parents freaking out and the chase out of the house/ pounding on the car scene)...so it was never aired. Every time there was a major sporting event the show wasn't on....world series after the pilot? foot ball at thanksgiving?...tv stations base they're ad rates off of "sweeps month" which happens three months out of the year...so thats when they air stuff like "Movie off the week" I wanna say thats in October, Jan, and March...but I'm just guessing that I'm remembering those months correctly....so they never aired episodes then... another huge reason the show didn't get a chance was they changed the night it was on so many times it was impossible to follow...often it wouldn't be in the tv guide because they didn't know long enough in advance so they would air tv ads to say what night it would be on that week. By the end of the season they had pushed the show around so much and skipped weeks so often that they aired the last three episodes all on one night (a saturday). After that it was rumored all summer long that NBC dropped it but Fox picked it up......I waited all summer. I scanned the TV guide like mad when September came around....then by the end of Oct. I read that it wasn't going to be on Fox it was going to be on Fox Kids...which I didn't get...no new episodes were made so all I can think was that they were airing or had planned to air reruns on Fox Kids. Then we got to watch as all the characters popped up in other shows (Sam in The Gina Davis Show, Kim in Dawsons Creek, Kim and Lindsey in ER, Nick in How I met Your Mother, Neal in one episode of Still Standing) or Movies (huge list there too)....I think it was a four or five year wait for the show to finally come out on DVD and I've watched it like twenty times since! I bought a DVD player the day before it came out and then was there at two in the afternoon when the dvds hit the shelf!
See that's how you know the show was good...it got fucked over by everyone in the network and yet the writers and actors all made it to something else. Judd Apatow is one of the most popular and successful comedy directors of the decade, Seth Rogan is still one of the most sawed after comedy actors, James Franco is an incredibly popular actor/writer/artist with a Ph.D in English, Martin Starr was in a couple movies, Linda Cardellini was in some movies and on ER, Jason Segal was in a bunch of movies and in How I Met Your Mother, John Francis Daley was in a few movies and is on Bones, Samm Levine was in a few movies - namely Inglorious Basterds, Busy Philipps was in a bunch of chick flick movies, and a lot of the teachers on the show moved on to be teachers in Ned's Declassified School Survival guide.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

some of the team did UNDECLARED the next season....its hardly as good... Jason Segal was the best character on it but only in a quarter of the episodes. Joey Santiago from the Pixies apparently did some of the inbetween music on that one too.