Star Wars

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

cobalt
Grunge God

Star Wars

Post by cobalt »

hehe, I was reading that coffee thread where Jan posted a Darth Vader mug and thought about making a SW thread :) :lol:
anyway, I really like Star Wars, I remember when I was younger I used to watch a lot my Episode I - Phantom Menace VHS tape :lol:
For those about to polka... we salute you
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Re: Star Wars

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

How do I put this....

I like the soundtrack more lol
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!
Curmudgeon
Site Admin

Post by Curmudgeon »

Gotta love Star Wars...I remember camping out at the theater after school with friends waiting for the midnight opening of Episode I. We were the first ones in...good times.
Image Image
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Jawas are pure grunge! For a Starwars thread to start and be about episode 1....I just have no words for that.
Curmudgeon
Site Admin

Post by Curmudgeon »

LOL. If it makes you feel better, Empire is my favorite...
It came out the year I was born, so I didn't really get a chance to see it in the theater until the "special edition" in '97...
Image Image
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

I missed Part 3 in the cinema only by months cuz I was only six a the time it came out :) I made up for this miss with becoming the biggest SW geek in the Dark Years between 1985 and 1991 when positively nobody really cared about it, no new books were coming out and the new trilogy was still more than a decade away. I had about a hundred action figures, lots of smaller spaceships/vehicles and even some of the old Marvel comics :) And an Ewok cuddly toy, yeah. My son's playing with it now 8D

I can't really understand why I loved the whole thing so much as the movies – except Empire which is near cinematic perfection – aren't really THAT original or timeless in their dialogue or whatever. The whole thing really is a lot about the merch, with the new Episodes being ONLY about the merch and selling it to the kids (it started with the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi though). I guess it's the clear (and later on not so clear) division between good and evil, heroes and villains and starfighter action and stuff that made me love it and wanting to be like Luke. My sons love it too, even though my little one runs around saying "I'm Darth Vader and I destroy everything!" :weird:

Anyway, good films, good times.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

i used to play Star Wars with a boy named Luke who lived in the next block from me.i ALWAYS had to be Princess Leia.i wanted to be Hans Solo so bad,but because i was the only girl,i got landed with the stupid Princess part.we watched Star Wars every Christmas for as long as i can remember.Star Wars started my love of Harrison Ford.
:twisted:
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

I was born in 75 so Starwars ended up being the first movie I ever saw in theaters...it was a one room movie house here in town (the only one at the time)...just over 20 years later the place was converted to a youth centre (it was something else inbetween)...I ended up playing my second gig ever there and many more after it which was amazing...until the youth centre took over the other old theater in town which was a six room theater..so they could have a permanent skate park...that was the theaters where I saw the re-releases. They stopped doing punk shows there for no reason other then attendance dipped. It sucks cus we played for as many as 600 people there...it ruled!
Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon »

cobalt wrote: I remember when I was younger I used to watch a lot my Episode I - Phantom Menace VHS tape :lol:
:shock:

When I was younger I used to watch Star Wars (New Hope) on VHS tape :P

I say Empire Strikes Back at the cinema and cried when Solo was frozen. I used to love Star Wars right up to about 2002/2003 when Attack of the Clones hammered the last nail in its coffin for me.

I watched Revenge of the Sith the other day to see if my opinion had changed after a few years of not seeing it and it hadn't the new films are just soulless.
FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

Never really saw the attraction.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

That's because I presume you didn't grow up with it. I grew up on eighties kids flicks like the Goonies, Stand by Me or Dead Poets Society (although the latter one has its qualities still) which is why I love them, not really for their artistic value. That's what I meant in my earlier post, Star Wars isn't really about embodying the height of cinematic art, although it's pretty good popcorn entertainment with a hint of philosophy (but really just a hint ;) ).

The new movies are smack dab in the middle between "better than their reputation" and "total commercial rubbish", with a slight nod towards the latter. "Clone Wars" and everything after are pure commercial evil though, not even my kids like it, and they grew up with the new movies, mind.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
Wolf_grrrl
Grunge guru

Post by Wolf_grrrl »

I loved Star Wars as a kid :P My dad's a big fan of science fiction and he had Star Wars tapes at home, I used to watch them a lot. My mom never understood the appeal hehe
harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 »

IS there something better then star wars???

I have always forced my friends / grilfriends to like star wars... Or else the friendship or relationship is over... although my former girlfriend hasnt seen them yet... Maybe Ill have to force her too, before its too late :P
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject
Onion Rat

Post by Onion Rat »

harmony90 wrote:IS there something better then star wars???
You mean... except music, liqourice, rainy days and stepping in dog shit? Probably not. :P

I kid. Star Wars' great.
[img]http://cavestory.org/images/balrog3frog.gif[/img]
cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt »

hehe that's cool :)

one of my fathers friend gave me the old trilogy (Episodes IV, V and VI) in VHS. it's super cool, I prefer the old episodes too :)
I should transfer it to DVD though, my house's VHS player is getting pretty old hehe :lol:
For those about to polka... we salute you