Sumé - The Sound of a Revolution

A section for all movies, TV shows and eveything (music) video related. Talk about the greatest nineties and grunge related movies here. Share your other favorite movies, TV series or Youtube clips with us as well!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Sumé - The Sound of a Revolution

Post by incessantmace » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am

You may or may not remember that I have a knack for rockumentaries, especially those about somewhat less ordinary bands. So while I was gathering information about life in the Arctic (Canada and its Native peoples are a topic my students have to study for their A-Levels in English) I also checked out stuff about Greenlandic culture and came across a band called Sumé that released three albums in the seventies. They were the first band to use the native Greenlandic language in rock music (musically it's pretty close to stuff like Creedence Clearwater Revival and the like) and their lyrics were about liberation from Danish colonialism and being conscious of their own suppressed cultural identity. In 2016 a documentary about Sumé was released where the former members talked about their experiences in the 1970's, like 40 years later. I found it really fascinating to see what influence rock music could have in such a remote and thinly populated country, and it made me wish that it could be as empowering in our times and countries today too.

The documentary is called "Sumé - The Sound of a Revolution" and is on streaming sites like Vimeo, although it's not free, sadly. Check out the trailer anyway though!
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

evee103
Site Admin

Re: Sumé - The Sound of a Revolution

Post by evee103 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:12 am

Dang this seems awesome! I've recently been reading about the northern most people's of this planet and how they live and sustain and such...everyone who lives in the arctic are warriors!
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Sumé - The Sound of a Revolution

Post by incessantmace » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:33 pm

Yeah, just scrolling along the north of Canada with Google Maps shows you how vast and remote this gigantic territory is... The Inuit are hit hardest by climate change though so many of their traditional skills and much knowledge about nature and the environment is partially no longer applicable :-/
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york