Pearl Jam news thread

Talk about Seattles finest, Pearl Jam here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Pearl Jam news thread

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

BRAD ON WORLD CAFE:

Officially forming in 1992, the Seattle band Brad has been in and out of the picture for years. With members Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam), Shawn Smith (Pigeonhed and Satchel), Regan Hagar (Satchel and Malfunkshun) and Jeremy Toback working with multiple bands and side projects at once, it's been difficult for Brad to survive the tumult. But no matter how long the hiatuses last, Brad always seems to gravitate back together and work on new material.

The group admits that its newest album Best Friends? is more delicate than past records. Though the original songs on the album were recorded back in 2003, the band spent the past several years discovering its new sound and building on what already existed.

Credit: NPR
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/12/132863607 ... world-cafe
SayHello2Heaven

PEARL JAM FAN WITH BOLD PHOTO PLAN:

PEARL Jam fan Jennifer Sando says she is too old to stalk lead singer Eddie Vedder when he visits Adelaide in March so she has launched a bold online campaign to take his photograph instead.

The Broadview photographer is trying to catch Vedder’s attention by uploading a different photo with a message to the US rocker on a specially created website each day.

Sando has enlisted social media sites Twitter and Facebook to muster exposure for her campaign since its launch on January 1, with other Pearl Jam fans including interstate aficionados who have met the star singer already lending their support.

``People are even more fascinated by portraits when it is someone they know or someone they recognise,’’ Sando explains.

``I am taking that and combining it with the fact that I happen to be a massive fan of Pearl Jam.’‘

Sando discovered Vedder when Pearl Jam released its single Alive in the early ‘90s.

The 33 year old has followed the band ever since, seeing Vedder in concert six times. I am too old to be stalking the hotel when he comes . . . my online campaign is an obscure way to get the necessary attention,” she says.

Sando will upload a different photo every day until Vedder performs two solo shows at the Thebarton Theatre starting on March 27.

She is waiting until she has taken more photos before contacting concert organisers to push her case.

``I’d probably die if I had the opportunity to photograph him but I want to take his portrait, not a snapshot,” Sando says.

Credit: City North Messanger
http://city-north-messenger.whereilive. ... hoto-plan/
SayHello2Heaven

CAMERON CROWE TO INFLICT PEARL JAM DOC ON THE WORLD:

It’s 2011, and as Eddie Vedder prophesied lo these many years ago, this year marks the 20th anniversary of Pearl Jam. The movie is called Pearl Jam Twenty, and much like the band, the project is shrouded in mystery (don’t know if this is a joke or not). In 2009, Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready was quoted as saying that the film’s director Cameron Crowe would have ““….all our footage, with all of our existing footage that we have” at his disposal for his documentary. I’m guessing that must include at least 100 hours of Eddie Vedder scowling.

This isn’t the only thing connecting the band with Cameron Crowe. The Almost Famous auteur also directed the anti-establishment band in a Target commercial (!) and the video for their song “The Fixer.” In addition to that, it’s also being reported that head Pearl Jammer Eddie Vedder is a big part of the soundtrack for Cameron Crowe’s new movie We Bought a Zoo.

So expect to be learning a lot about Pearl Jam in 2011, especially if you’re like me and your only direct knowledge of the band comes from the copy of Ten that you can’t bring yourself to get rid of for some reason.

Credit: Screen Junkies
http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/mov ... the-world/#
Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon »

Pearl Jam to start work on new album in April

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/55485
Pearl Jam are set to start work on their new album in April.

Bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard that the band had already demoed new material and were set to reconvene properly soon.

"We did a whole bunch of demos and everybody's got a disc of 25 [songs] right now," he said. "April will be the time where we get together and learn to play all these demos and figure out which 12 to 15 of them float to the top. Hopefully we can get something done this year."

The band are set to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their 1991 album 'Ten' with a Cameron Crowe-directed documentary, book and festival this year. But the bassist said they were were still looking to the future.

"There’s been so much focus on the past that I think all of us are really excited to make a new record," he said. "And have something to look forward to because we've been digging in the boxes in our basement a lot the last year or so."

The band’s last album was 2009’s 'Backspacer'.
FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

Go away Pearl Jam, give Matt to Soundgarden for a bit.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?
Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon »

ITs not Pearl Jams fault SG are dragging their heals. PJ is matts full time job now
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

REVIEW OF "VS" & "VITALOGY" 3CD DELUXE EDITION IN THIS MONTHS UNCUT MAGAZINE...

"Though never exactly tabloid fodder, Pearl Jam have always felt themselves to be under scrutiny, retaining an urge to explain their side of the story. This package continues that idea - bundling as a "twofer" their two most significant albums. Why? Well, these albums (now with three unreleased demos apiece and a '94 live show) are Pearl Jam's grunge mission statement, pivoting on the 1994 death of Kurt Cobain. The first is the work of an angry band attempting to break free of its pigeonhole (the seemingly improvised opener "Go"; funky rocker "Animal"). The second is a pinky celebration of life, albeit a slightly macabre one. Odd to think that a multi-platinum band should be ripe for rediscovery - but if you were on the other side in the grunge wars, now is a good time to make peace."
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
sadie

Post by sadie »

Mike McCready's Tumblr!

http://mikemccreadypj.tumblr.com/
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
sadie

Post by sadie »

FORMER PEARL JAM DRUMMER RELEASES LIVE VIDEO OF “HARD TO IMAGINE” WITH 90′S BACKSTAGE FOOTAGE

http://grungereport.net/?p=4022
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

Cool clip from the "Pearl Jam At 20" doc that's coming out... Layne's in it too!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=157403
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
SayHello2Heaven

Eddie Vedder collaborated with the Supersuckers to cover X's "Poor Girl" on the Free the Memphis 3 compilation....The things you find on the interwebz! 8D
SayHello2Heaven

EDDIE VEDDER STILL ROCKS EVEN WITH UKELELE TOUR:

Eddie Vedder is the kind of guy who can get onstage and sing platitudes like, "I'd never be the same without you," and you'd never question his earnestness or his cool. Even singing those words while he's plucking a ukulele, you'd be hard-pressed to say he wasn't sincere. So why not a full album of ukulele songs and a tour behind it?

The Pearl Jam frontman's said that the tracks off of his second solo album, Ukulele Songs, began as jokes, but they made up the backbone of a charmingly heartfelt set on Wednesday night. Opening a month-long, solo tour at the ornate Providence Performing Arts Center, Vedder proved that the miniature, four-stringed instrument can be just as versatile as his own yowling voice.

Vedder dove straight into six tracks from Ukulele Songs at the beginning of the night, molding his instrument into whatever he needed it to be. He plucked away at it harp-like for the bittersweet "Broken Heart." Then he thrashed at muted strings for "Can't Keep," a song that he gave an intensely hushed yelp to with Vs.-level energy, even though it originally appeared with relative calm on Pearl Jam's Riot Act in 2002.

The rest of the 25-song set covered a huge swath of Vedder's career, pulling songs from six of Pearl Jam's studio albums, plus six tracks from his Into the Wild soundtrack. (And, yes, most of the songs were played on guitar; not ukulele.) The career-spanning night was fitting as Pearl Jam is set to celebrate its 20th anniversary this year with a Cameron Crowe-directed documentary, album reissues, and its own two-day music festival in Wisconsin. Vedder didn't lean on nostalgia though.

He updated the old when he could: Playing ukulele on a wonderful solo rendition of "Better Man," Vedder turned the 3,000-seat theater into something more like an intimate bonfire party on the beach. He also played Riot Act's "Arc," an impressive, wordless chant that he looped over and over again, filling the room with at least five different versions of his memorable baritone. He came off like an old friend you haven't seen in ages: He's a little older now -- 46, actually -- and doing things a little differently. But it's still great to see him. The only time that the night seemed stale was on a perfunctory guitar rendition of "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" that sounded like it's been done a few too many times in concert.

Opener Glen Hansard (of the Swell Season, and the film Once) came back onstage to do his "Sleepless Nights" duet from Ukulele Songs and nicely complimented Vedder on Into the Wild's "Society." But the night belonged to Vedder, who happily joked around with a rowdy crowd and played the role of middle-aged rock god, talking about the difficulties of parenthood, and even brought out a quartet of kids to sing back-up on "Hard Sun."

When Vedder sang an acoustic version of "Porch" from Pearl Jam's debut, Ten, the opening line, "What the fuck is this world running to?" was tempered -- it was less angry. So maybe 1991 was a long time ago. Things are different now. And Vedder seemed perfectly happy with that.

Setlist:
Sleeping By Myself
Without You
Broken Heart
You're True
Light Today
Can't Keep
Sometimes
Just Breathe
I Am Mine
Better Man
No Ceiling
Far Behind
Guaranteed
Rise
Unthought Known
The End
Arc

Credit: Spin
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9ZFREe/ww ... pintwitter
SayHello2Heaven

PEARL JAMS BOOK COVER AND FURTHER INFORMATION:

Here’s a sneak peek at the cover art for the PJ20 book set to be released on September 13th.

Featuring an intro by Cameron Crowe, interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Dave Grohl and more the 256 page book will be the perfect compliment to the PJ doc directed by Crowe coming out around the same time

Credit: 107.7 The End
http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2011 ... cover-art/
mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Post by mad_submarine »

The Pearl Jam movie will be released on 20th September.
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]
mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Post by mad_submarine »

PJ 20 is just sooo cool! :mrgreen: I love the fact that they gave all the honour Andy deserved..
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]