Grunge Forum

Come and join us because it's lonely underground.
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:04 am 

cobalt wrote:
my band's guitarist uses that "Metal Zone" distortion, it's fuckin' heavy :lol:
not trying to go off topic, but does anyone know something about bass guitar pedals? I mean, I'm not looking for one, just curious. :)
Just lower volume slightly, push yer gain to the max, and add quite a bit of treble. That's the cheap, easy way of getting distortion on a bass. Works fer me, 'tleast. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 am 
Grunge fanatic

you want a russian Bigmuff, they fucking rule the roost!! or a DS-1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am 
Grunge guru

VirusInsideUs wrote:
you want a russian Bigmuff, they fucking rule the roost!! or a DS-1

i read somewhere saying that russian bigmuff isnt really good so u might wanna get the american one.
i am not too sure about that.
and oh yes ds-01 get that

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm 
Grunge God

How big a difference is there between the russian and american? I've heard some people rave about one and some rave about the other. I wonder in a blind taste test how many would be able to hear the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm 
Grunge God

oh yeah then its Russian the black or the green one? The American, rams head, pie version and then the reissue vs. current vs. vintage....drives ya kinda crazy....like everyone on craigslist doubling the price of they're "made in japan" boss pedals over the made in Tiwan.....when really only a few pedals (supposedly) had any parts changed....kind makes ya wanna just use what you got and not shop. blah.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 am 
Grunge guru

So far, all I have is a CryBaby wah-wah, and my amp has a distortion feature on it that's nice, but I NEED to get a goddamn distortion pedal. Where do you guys get them, as far as internet goes? Everywhere I go in town is so goddamn expensive, but I've heard guys getting them at 30-40 bucks on the internet.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 pm 
Grunge God

bluearmageddon wrote:
So far, all I have is a CryBaby wah-wah, and my amp has a distortion feature on it that's nice, but I NEED to get a goddamn distortion pedal. Where do you guys get them, as far as internet goes? Everywhere I go in town is so goddamn expensive, but I've heard guys getting them at 30-40 bucks on the internet.

check out Craigslist, check out pawn shops in your area (sometimes you'll find one that just prices them all $40 or $50 reguardless of what they are...but some are knobs and charge practically the new price for something used. Most guitar shops have some used ones for sale from time to time.
Check out reviews on harmonycentral.com to see what people think of the ones you find before buying. I've found some of the reviews to be pretty helpful before buying stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:14 am 
Grunge God

Canucker wrote:
How big a difference is there between the russian and american? I've heard some people rave about one and some rave about the other. I wonder in a blind taste test how many would be able to hear the difference.

For my opinion unless you can get an original 70's American Muff theres just no point anyway this "amusing" video may help:

For me I love the Behringer Vintage Distortion which is basically a Big Muff clone that is closer to the 70's one than modern american ones and its only about £30 too!

http://www.facebook.com/dogtowntheband
FACEBOOK ME

Ramblings from me: http://mithaearon.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 am 
Grunge fanatic

My live rig:

MESA Dual Caliber. 50
Soldano custom 4x12 cab
’76 Thomas Organ Cry Baby
Homemade phaser (both Phase 90 and Small Stone)
Original ‘80’s TC Electronic Chours/Flanger
New TC Electronic Nova Delay
BBE Green Screamer TS-808 clone (rarely use this)
BBE Boosta Grande transparent volume boost (for solos)
Korg Pitch Black tuner
Dunlop volume pedal

My amp generates all the distortion so I don’t have any distortion pedals on my board but for my home amp I’m running a 1974 Musicman 130 watt 4x10 amp that has no drive channel so I’m using a Tonebone Hot British distortion pedal. Those actually have a 12ax7 tube in them and the distortion is really warm. I tried a bunch over the years and for a good organic “grungy” tone the original Rat boxes, and Big Muffs will get you pretty close.

We used to practice across the hall from Candlebox. I remember Craig got an endorsement from Dunlop and had like 10 brand new Cry Babys in the room. We played with his solo band Red Light Music a few years ago and he was still using a Cry Baby then. Dave Groll uses mostly Boss pedals (which is weird because he can afford whatever he wants), Cantrell doesn’t endorse much else than G&L but Dunlop recently came out with the Cantrell Cry Baby (may not be out yet), Cobain made the Small Clone chorus famous and I can’t think of any other Seattle guys who are associated with being brand loyal to a particular pedal.

A friend emailed me this picture a while back. It truly reflects the locals opinion of anything labeled “grunge”…….

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:37 am 
Grunge God

/\ Bwahahaha great picture and im nicking that for my facebook page :D

My set up is:

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT*
Behringer TU 300 Tuner
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Behringer VD-1 Distortion
Behringer UC 100 Chorus**
Digitech X-Series Turbo Flange Stereo Flanger***

*I only use a clean sound from the amp and let the pedals do the rest. I do however currently use the amps delay and reverb but I do plan on getting pedals to replace this.

**This is normally permenantly switch on with it being set to a very light chorus sound.

***Never used probably going to get rid of.

http://www.facebook.com/dogtowntheband
FACEBOOK ME

Ramblings from me: http://mithaearon.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 am 
Grunge fan

I use a Dunlop wah and a Phase 90 into an old Dual Rectifier and Orange 4x12.

I like to keep things simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:40 am 
Grunge guru

My friend bought that grunge pedal thing.... Personally I don't like it that much. It has too much treble for me, you can't get a proper overdrive out of it. Okay you can't get an overdrive with a distortion pedal, but with my cheap distortion pedal I can do it... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm 
Grunge God

I bought the grunge pedal at a pawn shop for $40 with the thought of trading it. I ended up trading it in to the guitar shop here in town and got $50 credit....and since theres no tax on trades I actually got $57 off of my next purchase! I rule! HA