Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Re: Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

Post by Mithaearon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 am

I have sorted of started this for my local scene, albeit on a smaller scale just to release my bands and other smaller bands locally:

http://www.facebook.com/hollowrecords

So far it has only released my bands two releases but will be releasing a band called Scarecrow Hightway soon. What I plan to do is record small local bands at my home studio and mix and master their work. Then I will burn the CD's and print covers and CD labels, which is what I did for my band and also put their release up for digital download and take a small % of the profits, mainly just to cover the printing of the CD costs and the time/costs it has taken to record and mix. Not really for any profit just to make sure I am not out of pocket. I am also looking into distribution, first in my county then national. Got a few local indie stores willing to stock and sell the releases.

D-Gen
Grunge master

Post by D-Gen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Last edited by D-Gen on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:46 pm

yeah thats sorta what im doing too :0 exept im also investing in merch to get the gas money ;)

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Ey Kevin! get us some gigs in the uk :D
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

juniperjunk
Grunge maniac

Post by juniperjunk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Mithaearon wrote:I have sorted of started this for my local scene, albeit on a smaller scale just to release my bands and other smaller bands locally:

http://www.facebook.com/hollowrecords

So far it has only released my bands two releases but will be releasing a band called Scarecrow Hightway soon. What I plan to do is record small local bands at my home studio and mix and master their work. Then I will burn the CD's and print covers and CD labels, which is what I did for my band and also put their release up for digital download and take a small % of the profits, mainly just to cover the printing of the CD costs and the time/costs it has taken to record and mix. Not really for any profit just to make sure I am not out of pocket. I am also looking into distribution, first in my county then national. Got a few local indie stores willing to stock and sell the releases.
Thats a really cool idea. I think that's the way a music scene develops... someone is nice enough to help other people and then they help you, others... Yeah. I like the sound of it

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

in about a year and a half ill be ready to start touring but yeah... i think we should all tour together or atleast the ones that live on the same continent...

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 am

Get your band up, gt signed by some shit indie label and come to europe :D Thats what we are going to do :D

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 am

lol okay :) my uncle is giving me a shit indie label :D i just want to finish my songs first :)
but forsure how much does it cost to fly to europe 0.o

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Loads of money :D

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

rabbit wrote:lol okay :) my uncle is giving me a shit indie label :D i just want to finish my songs first :)
unless you get signed by a shit indie label that pays for your flights for a tour.. then..nothing
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Checks wrote:
rabbit wrote:lol okay :) my uncle is giving me a shit indie label :D i just want to finish my songs first :)
unless you get signed by a shit indie label that pays for your flights for a tour.. then..nothing
lol sweet 8) its like getting to live out my dreams i swear :)

mare2192
Grunge fan

Post by mare2192 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:04 am

great ideas guys.I have been wanting to do something similar for some time.Here in Serbia we have a interesting "scene",i mean we have alot of iron maiden and metallica tributes(that i can not stand,there are too many),we have a nice post punk and indie scene and our ex-yugoslovenien rock scene(which has a lot of great bands,but today kids just play the ultra commercial stuff).of course this is all "underground".Cause majority of people listen to some kind of folk which is awful and rap and hip hop(where every guy trips that he is a black guy in a ghetto(nothing against black people))
So i taught that i could start something like this.There are practicing studios that record every session for free or some small money.I study art so covers,logos and things like that are not a problem.
P.s. Some friends (from other bands)and i are starting kind of a club were bands join and have some space to practise.The cool part is that after that we could collaborate with associations across the world.We call it The Rock movement/Rock Pokret(in Serbian).We just now have to give some money so it will be legal association,so maybe we can later get some money from the city

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am

great idea :D

CurlyFry
Grunge fan

Post by CurlyFry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I really like the idea of Off Topic Records. There are a TON of local bands near where I live and had intentions of starting up an indie label over here. Does anyone think that a "Off Topic Records Australia" would be ok? There are heaps of bands that play alternative rock, metal and grunge in my area and (being friends with most of the people involved in these bands) I can easily sign them on as artists for the label.
Please check out and like my friend's band: Intrepid
http://www.facebook.com/Intrepidtheband

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Great stuff! sorry I missed it. I'll have to give it a full listen here.