Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Constantine
Grunge master

Re: Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

Post by Constantine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 am

ah so the mighty secret has been revealed, at last!

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:58 am

Well, if he succeeds, what's to hate? Only if Rabbit's ideas of "good" comply with ours/mine has yet to be decided ;)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 am

lol :) i got more on my list of things to do... i wont tell yall all of it buut im going to re-invent woodstock ON A CRUISE and make it just outside america so theres no laws ;) and ill tour around america every year and have other awesome bands with me this will not only be reconized in the media but itll create a whole new culture of people or atleast bring them together :p

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:16 am

*excersisin patience because I fancy myself a calm person*
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:30 am

i wish we could really make a label on here :/

JayKay
Grunge fan

Post by JayKay » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 am

I think we all should take a lesson from a guy called Pentti Dassum, doing the "own thing" can get you far if youre lucky and know the right people. But who really gives a shit about anything ever, doing things with music that make you feel better in this messed-up world is the key to a better life. Knowing that at least you do something about something.
Check this site and be grateful that you can afford to buy instruments.

http://www.umpio.com/
A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 am

Totally off topic, but I think I have a problem with your signature.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am

incessantmace wrote:Totally off topic, but I think I have a problem with your signature.
+100

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm

All the kids will eat it up
If it's packaged properly
Steal a sound and imitate
Keep a format equally
Not an ode, just the facts
Where our world is nowadays
An idea is what we lack
It doesn't matter anyways

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

boxcar wrote:All the kids will eat it up
Keep a format equally
An idea is what we lack
That was always the Nirvana song that I thought had the greatest lyrics, and Fecal Matter does too. Man, Kurt just had a way of writing down everything I'm thinking.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:06 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:
boxcar wrote:All the kids will eat it up
Keep a format equally
An idea is what we lack
That was always the Nirvana song that I thought had the greatest lyrics, and Fecal Matter does too. Man, Kurt just had a way of writing down everything I'm thinking.
Very cool you recognized these lyrics and I agree with you. :)

JayKay
Grunge fan

Post by JayKay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:51 am

incessantmace wrote:Totally off topic, but I think I have a problem with your signature.
you mean totally off topic records?
in some countries its the law to go and perform military service or take the other way and never get a job 'cause youre a reject from the system or a self-thinker and nobody likes people who can think themselfs...
A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.

shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 am

JayKay wrote:in some countries its the law to go and perform military service or take the other way and never get a job 'cause youre a reject from the system or a self-thinker and nobody likes people who can think themselfs...
But not in Finland (you're finnish right?)... I did the civil service and now I work gigs randomly, I go to school and I'm in 2 fully active bands. It is humanly not possible to be "a reject from the system" in Finland, if you're unemployed -> get money for free just by filling out some paperwork. When you don't have a job, that's exactly when you're NOT a reject from the system but in fact the system is taking care of you. If you're stuck with nothing, you're actually just too fucking lazy to fill out a couple of papers. Military service, much as I hate it and would like to rebel against it, bears next to no significance at all when you're searching for jobs. If you want to work in the army it might mean something but in any other case, no. And if you don't want to perform the military service, what you have to do is JUST SAY: "I don't want to perform the military service" and TA-DA!, problem solved and you'll be a civil servant instead. If you're not getting job interviews, you're sending shitty applications or not sending enough of them. No employer gives a fuck if you're a "self-thinker" or not.
A master of blöjäri.

JayKay
Grunge fan

Post by JayKay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 am

shanze wrote:
JayKay wrote:in some countries its the law to go and perform military service or take the other way and never get a job 'cause youre a reject from the system or a self-thinker and nobody likes people who can think themselfs...
But not in Finland (you're finnish right?)... I did the civil service and now I work gigs randomly, I go to school and I'm in 2 fully active bands. It is humanly not possible to be "a reject from the system" in Finland, if you're unemployed -> get money for free just by filling out some paperwork. When you don't have a job, that's exactly when you're NOT a reject from the system but in fact the system is taking care of you. If you're stuck with nothing, you're actually just too fucking lazy to fill out a couple of papers. Military service, much as I hate it and would like to rebel against it, bears next to no significance at all when you're searching for jobs. If you want to work in the army it might mean something but in any other case, no. And if you don't want to perform the military service, what you have to do is JUST SAY: "I don't want to perform the military service" and TA-DA!, problem solved and you'll be a civil servant instead. If you're not getting job interviews, you're sending shitty applications or not sending enough of them. No employer gives a fuck if you're a "self-thinker" or not.
When I say system I mean the cycle of life, and in a town like Pori people still have this idea about civil service, punch of pussies, gays, hippies, junkheads etc. I even know one supermarket where you cant work if youre a civil servant.
I know that people are more open minded in bigger cities and therefor opportunities rise to the taker. But here you can get alienated by your own "friends" when you separate yourself from the mass with your own values. Thats how it goes.
And moving to another city is not an option when you got only the "systems" support, so here we are stucked inside these four walls. You go to work, bell rings, you come back home, eat, silence. Phone silent. You dont speak sometimes for weeks. Thats how it goes.
These are things that can happen to someone and you cant say that heres how it goes in Finland. Its great that you got opinions and knowledge about the "system". And for the record, when I went to perform military service and after realizing that I dont want to know how to kill people within the laws of warfare I changed it to civil service. The paper war lasted for three weeks to get me out from the military, still they made me go to all the "rehearsals" carry a gun and shoot it. Another war started when the military refused to send my papers to the civil service, then I became a reject from the "system" there is a hole in the "system" when you are not doing your duty in the military and you are not accepted into civil service.
Thats how it went for me.
And the sig is from a j.f.k speech, I think its funny.

shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 am

Okay I guess it's possible to just have bad luck but I am personally just sick of people complaining how they're victims when they're not which is where my rant was coming from :lol: It's true these things can vary within the country too.. It's too bad your civil service thing got rejected, I've never heard of that sort of thing before. I guess that could be a good thing too since the whole military/civil -service thing is extremely old-fashioned. I've heard Pori is a crappy city, you say moving's not an option but I suggest you try to save some cash and eventually get a place from Helsinki or something since people are more open-minded (and you're likely to have more people see your concerts and stuff :lol: )
A master of blöjäri.