Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar

subpop1999
Grunge God

Re: Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

Post by subpop1999 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:35 am

Could my band do an original cover? Ya know, a cover... but make it sound original (the point of a cover)
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am

If you guys are still enthusiastic, I've got a few songs me and my band made if you want them.
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 am

BleedTheFreak wrote:I should have something done soon, since I just finished my band's line up (we were kind of disillusioned by our previous drummer), and written a whole bunch of material for an EP, I decided that we would record a crappy demo version of our EP to hand out and share for publicity before heading into the studio later this year to record it, but I like the idea of an April release date, so I should have something then.

Plus, with all the recent additions to the 'Making Music' section of the board, it shouldn't be that hard to get 12 submissions.
The trick with the submissions is you need to be a functioning member of the forum to be on them. So if you just come and post a single post "here is my band" and don't contribute otherwise you probably won't make it in simply because you haven't took the time to understand how we work around here. The people in this group are great and want to hear new music but they also would probably rather hear music done by people they interact with rather than people who just post once and leave. Just my opinion though.
subpop1999 wrote:Could my band do an original cover? Ya know, a cover... but make it sound original (the point of a cover)
Oh yeah, we have had plenty of covers in the past submissions. No one is getting paid for any of this it's so underground, so the need for licensing isn't really there. Go ahead and do up a fun cover. :)
Squidtard wrote:If you guys are still enthusiastic, I've got a few songs me and my band made if you want them.
Sure!

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Cool :) This'll be fun.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm

I have to function? After a long day at work that is not my strong suit!

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 am

Should that be worded "dysfunction"?

Maybe Malfunkshun is more appropriate for this forum?

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:40 am

Grunge puns. Oh, that's punny.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:15 am

boxcar wrote: The trick with the submissions is you need to be a functioning member of the forum to be on them. So if you just come and post a single post "here is my band" and don't contribute otherwise you probably won't make it in simply because you haven't took the time to understand how we work around here. The people in this group are great and want to hear new music but they also would probably rather hear music done by people they interact with rather than people who just post once and leave. Just my opinion though.
Well then, it's a good thing I'm a functioning active member of this forum and not just some guy dropping off singles. But still, my point holds valid, a lot of people posting in the "making music" section recently are active members such as Canucker, PunkingtonGrunge, subpop1999, SKUNCHBAG, harmony90 and Schneider.

EDIT:
Also, would it be possible to submit two songs? I have a track completed, and I just uploaded a much better quality version than the one I had before so I'd consider it ready for submission, but since then, we've replaced our drummer and bassist, and I'd like to record a track with them sometime in the next few weeks. But anyways, here's my submission:

https://soundcloud.com/todd-dawson-coop ... ive-demo-2
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 pm

boxcar wrote:Lets maybe try this, start getting your songs ready to turn in. Once we get 12 songs completed and ready to be turned in we will have the start of the new compilation? Who here has something ready now?
Me. I did a five minutes long psychedelic track with a really creepy intro today and I really like it. 'Tis already recorded and uploaded on both youtube and soundcloud.
sky above, voice within

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 pm

It isn't technically grunge, in fact, it sounds more like a Smashing Pumpkins song, but, what the hell- grunge isn't about technicalities, it's pretty much the opposite. - https://soundcloud.com/will-hush/pumpkin

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:53 pm

back in my day the smashing pumpkins were a grunge band....but I don't mean to restart that old debate.

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:33 am

Canucker wrote:back in my day the smashing pumpkins were a grunge band....but I don't mean to restart that old debate.
Yeah, Billy went round saying they were alternative, but Gish is definitely grunge.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

back when i was fresh off the turnip truck those words meant the exact same thing.....and they both became meaningless quickly.