Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Re: Start Up Our Own Sub Pop Thing! - Off Topic Records

Post by Creeper113 »

I dont think this thing has really went anywhere, beyond the compilation really.

To get it moving we'd need to campaign, advertise, and promote. Beyond musicians we would require writers, artist, and editors, to start off though advertisment would have to take the forefront. Before anything can be done a foundation is needed, a website, news letters, blogs, videos. I think a two month viral campaign before the first release.

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

Creeper113 wrote:I dont think this thing has really went anywhere, beyond the compilation really.

To get it moving we'd need to campaign, advertise, and promote. Beyond musicians we would require writers, artist, and editors, to start off though advertisment would have to take the forefront. Before anything can be done a foundation is needed, a website, news letters, blogs, videos. I think a two month viral campaign before the first release.
Exactly.. think i speak for some of us here when i say : WE'RE FUCKING BROKE!

I'll do it someday.. that's 10000000% gonna happen 8D
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

Checks wrote:
Creeper113 wrote:I dont think this thing has really went anywhere, beyond the compilation really.

Exactly.. think i speak for some of us here when i say : WE'RE FUCKING BROKE!

I'll do it someday.. that's 10000000% gonna happen 8D
We could all take up side jobs to raise money

Tom you may just have to go back to man-whoring, at least until I get my plants start budding.

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

im still mentally scared from man-whoring :cry:
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

frell
Grunge guru

Post by frell »

I agree with you Creeper!

My thoughts which will echo yours above:

Writers: For this we can ask some contributors here to write on a blog. The blog can be free through blogspot. Also create a facebook page.
Artists & Editors: This can all be done in house (as in within Grunge Forum) via PM or a specialized thread. There is also email or even snail mail.
Advertisement: This is where it gets tricky. The idea here is pretty simple, but once again this will rely heavily on social networking. For every person that is a part of this project, they should post something referring to the blog, facebook page AND the actual release(s) at least 2-3 times a week. (Don't forget google+, twitter, tumblr and other social network. However, let us say there there is 15 bands on a compilation, that is at least 15 facebook pages around the world with completely different demographics of friends!!! This alone should bring at least 30 people (2 people per person as the expected minimum)
[img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/darkstarz25/brainofjfk.jpg[/img]

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

So this is how the compilation got started. Cool to read about it, and I would love to see this follow through, but it does seem like compilations are more practical, but it still would be nice since sub pop seems to be signing all those bad way too soft light and fluffy atmospheric 200s hipster indie pop bands for so long, we'd need a place to sign heavy grungy bands. Maybe one day.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

marksingermiller
Grunge fanatic

Post by marksingermiller »

There does need to b a new label bring grunge back!¡

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

marksingermiller wrote:There does need to b a new label bring grunge back!¡
Grunge is gone? :P
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

I think he meant back into the spotlight.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana »

Yeah, whenever I say bring grunge back I mean back into the spotlight. Obviously it never died, just went back to being underground like it was a decade before Nevermind came out, but yeah, it is SO precious to have good music in the mainstream as well as underground.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 »

But... I don't want grunge back in to the spotlight... It would ruin my music
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana »

harmony90 wrote:But... I don't want grunge back in to the spotlight... It would ruin my music
I always really liked that grunge was underground before it got famous, but all the mainstream music that they shove down our throats is AWFUL, so if anything has to be famous, it might as well be something genuine, cool, and actually good, and we should do it for the kids who say stuff like well we hate what's popular today, but that's all there is so we have to like it. WON"T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?! They deserve WAY better than what's in the mainstream today, I mean having good music being played on the radio and in the mainstream is SO precious, and my generation has never had that. So as much as I'd love our little group keeping this real, I would so much rather not have to shriek and cover my ears when I'm in a shoestore and the Jonas Brothers are being played and some young girl is singing along because she doesn't know of Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

KristinNirvana wrote:
harmony90 wrote:But... I don't want grunge back in to the spotlight... It would ruin my music
I always really liked that grunge was underground before it got famous, but all the mainstream music that they shove down our throats is AWFUL, so if anything has to be famous, it might as well be something genuine, cool, and actually good, and we should do it for the kids who say stuff like well we hate what's popular today, but that's all there is so we have to like it. WON"T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?! They deserve WAY better than what's in the mainstream today, I mean having good music being played on the radio and in the mainstream is SO precious, and my generation has never had that. So as much as I'd love our little group keeping this real, I would so much rather not have to shriek and cover my ears when I'm in a shoestore and the Jonas Brothers are being played and some young girl is singing along because she doesn't know of Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
How long must we accept bands gathered, recorded, packaged and sold by THE MAN?!?! :shocking:

They are supposed to be rock bands not boy "bands"

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana »

Creeper113 wrote:
KristinNirvana wrote:
How long must we accept bands gathered, recorded, packaged and sold by THE MAN?!?! :shocking:

They are supposed to be rock bands not boy "bands"
I KNOW!! It's like for one thing they are all put together by guys just trying to make money off of kids, AND IT"S ACTUALLY WORKING!!!! So yeah, I'd rather everyone got into what I'm into even if it means just a little bit of them messing it up, then to hear stuff that is TOTALLY AWFUL FAKE SHALLOW EMPTY STALE PHONY GLOSSY GLAMMY GROSS, in the mainstream and kids thinking they are supposed to like it and having nothing else, and hey, WE COULD DOMINATE THE MAINSTREAM AND TURN IT INTO WHAT WE WANT IT TO BE! That's how I thought of the whole grunge fashion being in the mainstream thing, everyone says how bad that was that they didn't want people on the outside wearing what they were wearing, but the way I thought of it was, WE TURNED THE MAINSTREAM AROUND AND MADE THEM CONFORM TO US!!! WE WIN!!! That guy just did that because he liked grunge, and he got fired for it, but for once people down the catwalks wore what WE told them to wear! HAHA suckers! (ok, I might be a little revolution hungry right now, but still) Plus, if it were to come back, we could spread our indie ideals just like Kurt did, and have good music, and turn every interview into talking about what we believe and how it should be.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit »

id like to help... to be honest though im interested in psycadelic grunge though and i allready got my plans laid out i have no dought in my mind im gonna be famous but i still dont know if thats a good thing or not and i live in magnolia texas but my only issue is that for now i cant post anything i wrote cuz im on a wii lol...