Choosing a name that references music's past

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar

redpyramid462
Grunge fan

Choosing a name that references music's past

Post by redpyramid462 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:47 pm

This might be kind of a weird or trivial topic, but I thought I'd give it a spin.

For years now; I've been dreaming up scenarios where I start up a band or some other musical project...and one thing that I kind of came up with and kept molding and settled upon was a name for that project.

I'm not going to type what it is because I'm a protective asshole, but let's just say that it's a reference to a geographical feature that has to do with a certain well known band.

I know...I'm being really lame, but bear with me please.

If you want to enter the musical realm and make a name for yourself, is it a bad idea to reference the past and kind of unintentionally (or intentionally) link yourself to another band or musician? Will it keep you from being observed on your merits?

Like say, for example, someone named their band "Evenflow" (which I think that's a real thing iirc), would that hinder that band from being taken seriously?

A pretty extreme and blatant example, but...

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Re: Choosing a name that references music's past

Post by Squidtard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:46 am

I'd say a better idea would be to combine another band's song titles. Even Flow becomes Wasted Flow (life wasted).

Makes it not so distracting.
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

redpyramid462
Grunge fan

Re: Choosing a name that references music's past

Post by redpyramid462 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Squidtard wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:46 am
I'd say a better idea would be to combine another band's song titles. Even Flow becomes Wasted Flow (life wasted).

Makes it not so distracting.
Yeah, that's actually a good suggestion for a situation like this.

Mine is just the name of a geographic region, so it wouldn't be too distracting...but still wishy washy.

Also nice Kyuss avatar!