Lame things bands do on stage...pet peeves

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Canucker
Grunge God

Lame things bands do on stage...pet peeves

Post by Canucker »

top five in no particular order

1)say the name of songs before they play them...bands who do this tend to do it for every song
2)bands who get on stage and start either requesting or demanding that people by them drinks
3)when bands take a break after every song and it starts to look like each time they stop a different band member is taking they're turn to have a drink...you can only drink one person at a time?
4)When a band is about to play a cover and they announce what song it is and who its by...way to take away the element of surprise! I always thought that if you play a cover and people who will know it will know it regardless of your announcement. If people don't know it and they see others singing along it looks like the band is popular. Its like a lie thats allowed! :P
5)I can't think of a five right now so if someone else posts I'll maybe steal one they came up with!
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Re: Lame things bands do on stage...pet peeves

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

1- "Hi, we are (horrible, really terrible name that attempts and fails at being witty)!"
2- Pseudo self-deprecating themselves in a "joking" manner; Bitch, I know you're fishing for compliments, that one doesn't work with me.
3- Playing the solo to a cover note by note. Fuck off!!
4- Dedicate cheesy pop song to the band's female friend that no band member has ever banged.
5- Wearing Eminem t-shirt onstage. Seriously.
6- Not rocking out nor having a good time of their own.
7- Gay drummer.
8- The singer has no kind of charisma whatsoever.
9- Looking too metrosexual to be a rockstar.
10- Last, but not least: BAD ONSTAGE JOKES. MAN. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. STOP TRYING. JUST. STOP.
ljubim te, Karin
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

5) Starting or ending your set with a cover...it just makes it look like your own tunes are lame...if people like a cover you do a lot and you think it'd a good show closer...well work on writing better original tunes or write a short tune thats a little faster/more aggressive then the cover you almost ended with......unless its a house party cus all rules are out the window there do whatever you want...your allowed to be lame at house parties...as long as you don't only play those.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Moving about too much to the point it affects the song. Stay still, play and go home!
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

"Hi, we are _____!"

"This is the greatest fucking country in the world"

Scream.
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

I haven't been to many concerts, but I imagine playing only obscure songs no one's heard of or only the hits that everyone's heard of would be annoying.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze »

SKUNCHBAG wrote:1- "Hi, we are (horrible, really terrible name that attempts and fails at being witty)!"
2- Pseudo self-deprecating themselves in a "joking" manner; Bitch, I know you're fishing for compliments, that one doesn't work with me.
3- Playing the solo to a cover note by note. Fuck off!!
4- Dedicate cheesy pop song to the band's female friend that no band member has ever banged.
5- Wearing Eminem t-shirt onstage. Seriously.
6- Not rocking out nor having a good time of their own.
7- Gay drummer.
8- The singer has no kind of charisma whatsoever.
10- Last, but not least: BAD ONSTAGE JOKES. MAN. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. STOP TRYING. JUST. STOP.
Guilty of number 5. :lol: I did that once in 2007 or something.
Guilty of number 9 too... The second show I ever played I was wearing a pink tanktop.
Guilty of number 10 too most likely. Once I announced that "I will rape all of your women if you don't come closer to the stage!" It worked though!
A master of blöjäri.
otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

"This is the best show we've ever had"
Eat your water and drink your vegetables
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

I was at a gig watching my friends band last night and we were actually talking about this. We came up with:

1) People who moan about the sound to the soundman/audience while onstage.
2) People who play to backing tracks (not to be confused with people who use triggers/samples - that can work very well. We played with a band that brought along a huge mixing desk that sat on the side of the stage just so they could stick their iPod in that had fake strings and stuff that they would play along with. There was lots of embarrassing silences while they were scrolling through the iPod trying to find the track they wanted for the next song.)
3) Musicians that use wireless kits in tiny venues with tiny stages.
4) Bands that make excuses for themselves all the time... "This is a new songs we've never played before so it's probably going to suck..."
5) Bands that think they are playing a headline show at Wembley Stadium. Changeover times in all venues in London are about 10/15mins so when the band before you finishes their last song, does the Big Rock Ending then walks off stage leaving their instruments feeding back heading backstage to chest bump and hi-five each other for another awesome show - it's just not cricket!
6) Lead singers of Metal bands imitating Phil Anselmo (this seems to happen a lot!). There's only one Philip H. Anselmo so don't. Just don't. Do your own thing.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

why has nobody mentioned it yet?

CROWDSURFINNNNN BIIIAAAAATCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand Chris Cornell jumping off the stage pushed by an adrenaline rush after slamming 'Face Pollution'
,or Eddie after super fast Even Flow
but when I see a random douche acting like a fuckin rock star I always keep my fingers crossed for the crowd to spread like the red sea when he decides to jump...
Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

I don't know, I guess what grinds my gears is artists who put more focus on the show than the music.
Except that, why waste energy on being bothered by bands? If you're not happy with the band, move on and find another band, it's not like you are dependent on a select few artists that have to fill your perfect group dreams or else you catch the plague or something, you know. "But I do like them, it's just that I'd be having a better time if they didn't do this and this" Who cares? They do, it won't change and it's no ones responsibility to listen to your whine and please your every demand. And if you've paid to see somebody to find out you're annoyed every now and then; blame yourself for buying those tickets and/or having too high expectations.
SKUNCHBAG wrote: 7- Gay drummer.
Piss off.
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

From the original post I took it to be more geared towards bands you go and see or gig with on your local scene. If you do a lot of gigs it's par for the course that you will see some bands doing things that get on your tits a bit. It's just natural, the same way as when you go to work there will be people there that do things that piss you off.

If you're going to watch a band at Brixton Academy regardless of what I may or may not think of their on-stage antics, whatever it is they are doing is clearly working because they are able to play a venue of that capacity.

The worst "proper" gigs I've been to have been where the band didn't seem to want to be there.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
sadie

Post by sadie »

Well, I've never been on stage like that myself, so I can't really say what to do and not.

I say you do what you want, I'll do what I want.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
Potato
Grunge fanatic

Post by Potato »

Schneider wrote:Moving about too much to the point it affects the song. Stay still, play and go home!
Really? If it's forced movement then yeah I agree but - speaking from personal experience - when you're "in the zone" you just can't help it. It's what makes Nirvana so great to watch for example, you don't care if they make a mistake because they are going fucking mental and it's genuine raw emotion. If it's some douchey wannabe band who's lead singer drops to his knees then falls on the floor in a blatantly staged act (*sigh* i've actually seen this) then yeah I agree but nothing beats genuine raw emotion. For me atleast.
S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

Potato wrote: Really? If it's forced movement then yeah I agree but - speaking from personal experience - when you're "in the zone" you just can't help it. It's what makes Nirvana so great to watch for example, you don't care if they make a mistake because they are going fucking mental and it's genuine raw emotion. If it's some douchey wannabe band who's lead singer drops to his knees then falls on the floor in a blatantly staged act (*sigh* i've actually seen this) then yeah I agree but nothing beats genuine raw emotion. For me atleast.

that's the point - nothing wrong with beeing yourself on the stage.
But you can clearly say when someone's playing a role and the emotions are fake.
Actually I can accept even the weirdest behaviours if the music is really good.
But in most cases our eyes are overfed while our ears are starving...:/