Coffee And Other Caffeinated Delights by Dan Bee

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

boxcar
Site Admin

Re: Coffee And Other Caffeinated Delights by Dan Bee

Post by boxcar »

S0undGardener wrote:
boxcar wrote:New video in case you haven't seen it yet. 8D
I'll be perfectly honest with you - so if you don't want to read harsh critic please stop reading now;)

So...
if you wanted to presented yourself as a hippie-pussy-faggot among the trees... well you did a great job then.
I don't want to be offensive but... every second of this vid is just so gay... I hardly could watch it...
The thing is when I listen to your music it makes me think you are some cool, careless, laid-back guy, so I expect to see a huge portion of dirt and not-giving-a-fuck in your videos! Never something like this!
Not to mention the terrible camera work...

To me a video should be the cherry on top of the cake, where the cake is the song;)
In this case the video is like a fat kid who sneaked to the kitchen and put his fat wiener-fingers right into the cake, destroying the whole composition... you know what I'm trying to say?

I think you should 'hire' some more talented camera-man and get some ideas from other music videos about the shots, camera work, visual effects etc, and at first you should definitelly come out with some idea about the topic. Because
random fooling around with a guitar in the garden can be turned into a piece of art only by some skilled video director.

If you have managed to get through my words please don't get mad on me;) I don't want to offend, just want to point out what's wrong from my point of view.
I think it's cool you took the time to watch the video and tell me what you think about it. I don't get mad about critiques so no worries. I simply did this video for the fun of creating art. It's creation and the experience of doing I am after. I think the things you mentioned are fun and worth doing as well but this is what I felt like making at the time so I made it. Not to disrespect what you are saying about what I should do, just letting you know where I am coming from.

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 »

S0undGardener wrote:
boxcar wrote:New video in case you haven't seen it yet. 8D
I'll be perfectly honest with you - so if you don't want to read harsh critic please stop reading now;)

So...
if you wanted to presented yourself as a hippie-pussy-faggot among the trees... well you did a great job then.
I don't want to be offensive but... every second of this vid is just so gay... I hardly could watch it...
The thing is when I listen to your music it makes me think you are some cool, careless, laid-back guy, so I expect to see a huge portion of dirt and not-giving-a-fuck in your videos! Never something like this!
Not to mention the terrible camera work...

To me a video should be the cherry on top of the cake, where the cake is the song;)
In this case the video is like a fat kid who sneaked to the kitchen and put his fat wiener-fingers right into the cake, destroying the whole composition... you know what I'm trying to say?

I think you should 'hire' some more talented camera-man and get some ideas from other music videos about the shots, camera work, visual effects etc, and at first you should definitelly come out with some idea about the topic. Because
random fooling around with a guitar in the garden can be turned into a piece of art only by some skilled video director.

If you have managed to get through my words please don't get mad on me;) I don't want to offend, just want to point out what's wrong from my point of view.
Consider this warning 1. Choose your words more carefully and don't use slanderous language like that (see underlined).

And SERIOUSLY? I know we're all entitled to our own opinions and shit, but jeebus christsteaks! Also this is the great Dan Bee yer talkin bout here.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

I hate those stupid gender stereotypes that say a man can't ever just be, he has to be showing his manliness all the time.
Also, I don't get how this
S0undGardener wrote: if you wanted to presented yourself as a hippie-pussy-faggot among the trees
is different from this
S0undGardener wrote:some cool, careless, laid-back guy, so I expect to see a huge portion of dirt and not-giving-a-fuck in your videos!
...or how that wasn't protrayed in the video. This could not have expressed more of a cool, careless, laidback guy.
Last edited by KristinNirvana on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

No-fuck-giving can come in any form it wishes to present itself. I myself think Bobo is a unique badass.
sky above, voice within

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

KristinNirvana wrote:I hate those stupid gender stereotypes that say a man can't ever just be, he has to be showing his manliness all the time.
Also, I don't get how this
S0undGardener wrote: if you wanted to presented yourself as a hippie-pussy-faggot among the trees
is different from this
S0undGardener wrote:some cool, careless, laid-back guy, so I expect to see a huge portion of dirt and not-giving-a-fuck in your videos!
...or how that wasn't protrayed in the video. This could not have expressed more of a cool, careless, laidback guy.
Bravo, Kristin. Soundgardener, I get the impression that you're just trying to be honest and in whatever way well-meaning, but it sure is a bad idea calling people "hippie-pussy-faggot" on this forum. Say what you will about the way the camera is operated in the video, that's clearly a matter of discussion, but please refrain from further comparisons like that. Finally, Blind Melon is a band highly respected and beloved on this forum, and they chose a very similar way of portraying themselves in the No Rain video.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

Blarg, I knew it's gonna be understood wrong...
To clarify - there's no emotions behind my words. When I use such a sharp terminology
it's just for 'overemphasizing' my opinions. I could have said "the video is too sweet" and it would perfectly describe my feelings, but I decided to use different words as I know the recipient is a 'heavy-armoured' guy who doesn't give a damn thing and keep doing his stuff his way.
This is simply my style of fooling around in the internet...
KristinNirvana wrote:I hate those stupid gender stereotypes that say a man can't ever just be, he has to be showing his manliness all the time.
You've totally misunderstood me if you think I bashed him for non-macho image...
His music is cool but the video is.... warm;) That doesn't go together... to me
KristinNirvana wrote: or how that wasn't protrayed in the video. This could not have expressed more of a cool, careless, laidback guy.

Well, I haven't found too much of a 'badassness' in this video... but again, it's just me;)

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

Thanks everyone for stating your opinion on things here. It's nice to get everyone's perceptions and create understanding among our little tribe here. I really appreciate all of you.
S0undGardener wrote:Blarg, I knew it's gonna be understood wrong...
To clarify - there's no emotions behind my words. When I use such a sharp terminology
it's just for 'overemphasizing' my opinions. I could have said "the video is too sweet" and it would perfectly describe my feelings, but I decided to use different words as I know the recipient is a 'heavy-armoured' guy who doesn't give a damn thing and keep doing his stuff his way.
This is simply my style of fooling around in the internet...
You've totally misunderstood me if you think I bashed him for non-macho image...
His music is cool but the video is.... warm;) That doesn't go together... to me
KristinNirvana wrote: or how that wasn't protrayed in the video. This could not have expressed more of a cool, careless, laidback guy.

Well, I haven't found too much of a 'badassness' in this video... but again, it's just me;)
You do have the right to your opinion no matter what that opinion is however if in your own mind you know what you are writing is going to be misunderstood perhaps it be best to figure out a way to make your point more clear before you submit your post?

As an aside, yes I will keep on doing what I do with a thick coast of armor on but no matter how thick it is it still sucks to be attacked. I think anyone can agree with that feeling.

I'm not trying to be a badass or really portray any particular kind of image. We are all so much more than just one characteristic and I just want to do what feels right at the time. Of course people can and will say mean things as well as nice things. We are all aware of this too. In the end you control and own what you do with your life.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

http://www.iowamusicbuzz.com/2013/08/25 ... -delights/

Did you see that our own Grunge_Chick had a her CD review of this album published? She did a great job too!

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

Does this work better for you S0undGardener?

S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

boxcar wrote:Does this work better for you S0undGardener?

Absolutely!
There are some parts which you could improve (it lacks dinamism a bit), but it's still a huge step forward.
Spinning the cam around, slowmotion, speeding up, lowering FPS, various visual effects
that gives the impression of a proffesional music video.
If I were you I'd avoid static, unmodified action shots longer than 1-3 sec (like those where you play on guitar/bass)
as it looks like some family dinner footage;) it's... too 'obvious' and doesn't have that artistic spirit.
Some more dynamic camera movement and more frequent jumping from scene to scene would definitely add a pinch of artism.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

So I have a new band and we are doing a lot of these songs plus a few new ones we have written together. Very grunge/punk/desert rock stuff. I think you guys are going to dig it a lot. Can't wait to premiere the band to the world. :D

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

So, I've meant to ask since Raw Mojo isn't a thing, does that mean your signature will be changing sometime soon? You know, to promote your other projects.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

Y2K-kyle wrote:So, I've meant to ask since Raw Mojo isn't a thing, does that mean your signature will be changing sometime soon? You know, to promote your other projects.
Haha! Yes, I have a lot to do before we have our online stuff going. The biggest hurdle right now is deciding on a band name we can all agree on. Once that happens let the online onslaught begin!

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

I'm pretty pumped my new band is going to record 2 new songs tomorrow! In case you haven't done so check us out on my sig below. :)

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I only just saw this. That album art is cool Bobo. You should go to Paris and drink coffee in a café. A real French place, not a tourist place. That stuff knocks your shoes, socks, trousers and pants off.