Screaming

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

The
Grunge fan

Screaming

Post by The »

World's most active member is back.

I consider myself decent at singing. I developed my own voice which sounds kinda mumbly but emotional when I sing soft (Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder) and when I sing hard I get raspy and powerful (Layne Staley, Chris Cornell) My voice isn't perfect yet but I can develop it. But I've started listening to Green River and Mudhoney in the past months and Mark Arm's rock screams are crazy. I want to learn to scream like that.

My main question is how do I get that scratchy sound when I scream? I can sing from the diaphragm and I don't feel anything in my throat when I sing, but if I don't use my throat when I scream there's no distortion but when I do distort with my throat not only does it sound even worse but it hurts like a bitch. I've heard to distort it with my chest but what does that mean?

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Re: Screaming

Post by Fuzz Face »

You need to feel it in your chest. It´s difficult to explain and takes a long time to learn... Best is just to increase the volume of your voice until it distorts and someday magically, it will maybe distort in your chest...

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

Fuzz Face wrote:You need to feel it in your chest. It´s difficult to explain and takes a long time to learn... Best is just to increase the volume of your voice until it distorts and someday magically, it will maybe distort in your chest...
AND THEN....

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

screaming is not about feeling pain, but expelling it.
open your chakras and unleash your anger.

:geek:
sky above, voice within

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

I can scream a real raspy to an almost metalcore esque vocal chord straining scream. However, it's not very loud. Chris Kurt Eddie and Layne all smoked, if you really want a rasp in your voice then smoke if you don't already(not the best advice but whatever)
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

The
Grunge fan

Post by The »

So I should start smoking? I think I'll pass on that advice. How do you the raspy scream of yours?

What are chakras and how do I open them?

If my pitch is higher than my voice is used to when I scream, is that what causes the distortion?

theLeopard
Grunge master

Post by theLeopard »

You need to break in your vocal chords first,
then learn to manipulate your voice.
Tuvan throat singing is an example of what I mean.
Silvergun Superman wrote:music is becoming WAY too mainstream.

Gigglesx0
Grunge maniac

Post by Gigglesx0 »

My 12 year old brother has mastered the raspy tone. I can't do it myself however. But as the other comments say, my brother told me aswell. Just work on your vocal tone and I hear drinking milk like dairy or soda right before you try helps as well. But it takes a while to learn how to do. It's not supposed to hurt, otherwise it's not the right way to do it. :P
Hello, I'm Ellie andd...
I believe in Rock & Roll and the power to be an individual and be original. I will never belong to anyone.

The
Grunge fan

Post by The »

What does it mean to "break in" my vocal chords?

theLeopard
Grunge master

Post by theLeopard »

Like breaking in new boots.
Get comfortable with your voice, then polish your sound.
Silvergun Superman wrote:music is becoming WAY too mainstream.