The right.. 'sound'

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

P A I V
Grunge God

Re: The right.. 'sound'

Post by P A I V »

Dude, you're really limited with your shit and if you want to get the right sound, you're GONNA have to listen to us and buy the shit. If you think there's another way then go ahead and try that, but you can't expect us to know how to do it when you didn't give us the name/kind of the amp you have.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored »

tell your friends to do a ashdasu7dfyasdfysadyfsdagfysday sound when you play the guitar XD that will sound like a shitty distortion

i mean come on dude go to the flea market and find some shitty amp with distortion you will get the sonic youth sound :D

Thurston moore said that sonic youth started when they had no money so they bought shitty musical instruments
gs asgjgfzsdf nz

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

ImBored wrote:tell your friends to do a ashdasu7dfyasdfysadyfsdagfysday sound when you play the guitar XD that will sound like a shitty distortion

i mean come on dude go to the flea market and find some shitty amp with distortion you will get the sonic youth sound :D

Thurston moore said that sonic youth started when they had no money so they bought shitty musical instruments
I hate when big bands claim they started with no money and shitty gear...they never specify how long it was before they got better gear. I don't know the specifics on sonic youths early gear but I know some about they're guitars... they had multiple guitars pretty much right from the start...hence why they were shitty....I'm betting they put them through half decent amps most likely tube amps. I've plugged some really crap guitars into my tube amps....like $15 yard sale electrics....and they sound 50 times better then $1000 guitars I've plugged into shitty solid state practice amps. I don't blame someone for hating they're practice amps.....
One thing I'll say about gear.....if you have a limited budget the first chance you have to get any money BUY A TUNER! no mater how good your gear is and how well you play....if your out of tune its gonna sound like crap!

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

ImBored wrote:tell your friends to do a ashdasu7dfyasdfysadyfsdagfysday sound when you play the guitar XD that will sound like a shitty distortion

the CHEAPEST shittiest amp that i can find.. in greece.. is about 500 euros

i have a G-10 Rockburn amp..
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

How do you think you're going to get a Nirvana sound from the equipment you have? They had major label money to buy great guitars, pickups, really good quality amps, and lots of effects. Plus they had people to tune the guitars, soundmen to make sure they sounded good... Guess you'll have to come up with your own sound.

stackny
Grunge fanatic

Post by stackny »

Grunge guitar thrives on a "middy" sound. Unfortunately, your piece of shit amp doesn't have a mid knob. I would say keep the bass at around 4, treble at around 6 or 7, and crank the overdrive as far as you can unti it starts to sound crass. With a Strat and a shitty amp, the neck pick-up position is your friend. It'll get really trebly and painful to listen to if you're not careful. Be sensitive to that. The neck pick-up will give you a rounder, darker sound. Use your tone knobs on the guitar to make the bridge pick-up not as bright and trebly. Experiment. See what you can find.
Check out my band: [url]http://www.facebook.com/theklipnockies[/url]

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 »

Checks wrote:

Really? I found a 75W Marshall amp for like.. 350€
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

harmony90 wrote:
Checks wrote:

Really? I found a 75W Marshall amp for like.. 350€

i live in greece... on an island.. that nobody ships to..

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored »

Checks wrote:

your amp is so shitty that i googled it and youtubed it and found nothinG XD
my friends has a crate amp and his amp has overdrive, but you ned to take out the distortion to get the overdrive wich is kinda shitty since you cant really do anything without distortion
does your amp has an overdrive button with or without degreees of power?
gs asgjgfzsdf nz

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

Eh?

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

If you can't buy any more equipment then wait until you actually start to practice together. Once you add drums and bass and whatever else you are going to want to adjust your volume and tone so that it finds its own identity in the mix of the band.

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored »

just save money and buy a good amp, you dont need the pedal effects, not at least now, tell one of your uncles or whatever to get it on amazon and the tell em to send it to you, and you will pay for everything, thats how i got my bigmuff
gs asgjgfzsdf nz

ISayFuckYouSay...
Grunge God

Post by ISayFuckYouSay... »

To make it, you're going to need an old tape player. Now take off the head that reads the tape and instead of it solder on an input jack. There should also be a contact switch or something that turns on the amp and motor when the play button is pressed down. Remove that and solder in a switch that you can easily use with your foot. Also, cut the wires to the motor. They will just waste energy now. Now connect the headphone jack of the Walkman to your amp, and you've got a distortion pedal.

And here's the best part, if it has an FM/AM radio, strap on a homemade FM transmitter onto your guitar or bass, and you've also got a wireless unit :P

It'll give you a fuzz like Touch Me I'm Sick :P

I mean do you know anything about what bands used BEFORE distortion pedals? They just fucked their amps up!
Removing vacuum tubes!
Putting holes in the speaker cones!

ALUMINUM FOIL AGAINST THE SPEAKER HORN DRIVER

that's gotta be the oldest trick in the book right there
[url]http://www.FaceBook.Com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.Doggenstein.BandCamp.Com[/url]
[url]http://www.reverbnation.com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.last.fm/music/doggenstein[/url]
[url]http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/doggenstein[/url]

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore »

Checks get on ebay buddy,Not sure but you can always ask the users if they will ship to greece if you're willing to pay the P&P im sure they will.There is some very badass equiptment on ebay that needs a new home,Soon as i come into some money i will be buying off of there all the time :D
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

ISayFuckYouSay... wrote:To make it, you're going to need an old tape player. Now take off the head that reads the tape and instead of it solder on an input jack. There should also be a contact switch or something that turns on the amp and motor when the play button is pressed down. Remove that and solder in a switch that you can easily use with your foot. Also, cut the wires to the motor. They will just waste energy now. Now connect the headphone jack of the Walkman to your amp, and you've got a distortion pedal.

And here's the best part, if it has an FM/AM radio, strap on a homemade FM transmitter onto your guitar or bass, and you've also got a wireless unit :P

It'll give you a fuzz like Touch Me I'm Sick :P

I mean do you know anything about what bands used BEFORE distortion pedals? They just fucked their amps up!
Removing vacuum tubes!
Putting holes in the speaker cones!

ALUMINUM FOIL AGAINST THE SPEAKER HORN DRIVER

that's gotta be the oldest trick in the book right there

you sir, are my hero :')

better use a mates amp first.. see if it works.. dont wanna screw mine up :/

@Thurston, money saving is starting... s far got.. 12 cents.. and a packet of gone off fruit salad (: