The right.. 'sound'

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Checks
Grunge God

The right.. 'sound'

Post by Checks »

okay, me and some mates have decided to make.. a band.

don't ask..

i just need some help..

i have a strat copy.. its decent.. not amazing

and a practice amp.. thats IT! (vol,treble,bass + over drive)

i need some help with how to get a sound.. like nirvana (we're going for a nirvana sound..but.. a bit more..pop-ish) if it was me..it would be heavier..

anyway.. i want some NICE, HEAVY distortion.. i have NO money to buy equpiment.. so.. any ideas?
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Re: The right.. 'sound'

Post by Mr.BananaYeah »

Distortion to 10? That's how I used to do it before I got mah pedal :D
[quote="Thurston_Whore"]Hey,Welcome to the forum just thought i'd give you my site adress and mabye suprise the wife for her birthday this year?
http://www.sextoys.co.uk/cat_Dildos.asp?dept=0?dealer=2035[/quote]

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

did you even READ it?

PRACTICE AMP! VOLUME-BASS-BASS + TREBLE! no distortion...

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Post by Mr.BananaYeah »

Over-drive is distortion dude..
[quote="Thurston_Whore"]Hey,Welcome to the forum just thought i'd give you my site adress and mabye suprise the wife for her birthday this year?

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

it still sounds... dodgy..

or it's TOO distorted.. :(

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Post by Mr.BananaYeah »

If it's too distorted turn it down? Look I'll give you some amp settings Bass - 3

Bass - 3

Mid - 4

Treble - 7

Overdrive - 7 but put it higher if you want

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Overdrive on an amp is garbage, and will sound awful no matter what you do with it. I've tried it and I couldn't find anything. You need to either get some pedals, or settle for an awful sound.

I've got a guitar to computer interface so I can put a bunch of effects on my guitar that I have on my computer...but they sound fucking terrible and it's not what you're supposed to do. Atleast buy a distortion pedal or make one yourself.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore »

Ask santa for a DS-1 or something? 8D
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

JAMik
Grunge maniac

Post by JAMik »

Good pedal is a right think after geting electric guitar.You can borrow on some show or studio amp,but good set with your pedal will create kind of your own sound.

Even with orange or marshall witout pedal you will not get a sound like you could make with a pedal distortion.That's my opinion.
Check my band POLIGON NR. 4 (GRUNGE) on YOUTUBE or FACEBOOK or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM

"I should be dead by know..."

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Do you have drums in the band yet? That will kill you volume wise if you only have a practice amp. For a decent middle of the road rock tone set your self at high 7 mid 7 low 7.... as for volume...thats the big thing that people don't give much thought to....most amps have all of they're noticeable volume change between about 0 and 3...crank them higher and you'll just get the sound breaking up...thats cool with Tube driven amps but with solid state amps it just sounds like your speaker is farting at you....so set all the eq to 7 as a starting point....then turn your volume up to three (since its a practice amp)....then start turning up your distortion/overdrive/fuzz or whatever....keep turning it up as long as it keeps sounding better....once you have it sounding as cool as possible slowly turn up the volume beyond three and see if it gets louder or just crappier. If you want a heavier sound turn up the high and the low and turn down the mid...you can go as far as high 10, mid 0, low 10... that sounds awesome with palm muting and drop D tuning (if you think that kind heavy is awesome). For Nirvana all 7's is good.
If your practicing with other people that are way louder then you are...do the simple thing and put your amp on a chair or something higher so its closer to your ears.... I've helped so many bands that were just starting out reorganize they're practice set up...they always have these tiny amps on the floor...so simple...ear closer to speaker= louder. Lemme know if any of that helps.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Canucker wrote:Do you have drums in the band yet? That will kill you volume wise if you only have a practice amp. For a decent middle of the road rock tone set your self at high 7 mid 7 low 7.... as for volume...thats the big thing that people don't give much thought to....most amps have all of they're noticeable volume change between about 0 and 3...crank them higher and you'll just get the sound breaking up...thats cool with Tube driven amps but with solid state amps it just sounds like your speaker is farting at you....so set all the eq to 7 as a starting point....then turn your volume up to three (since its a practice amp)....then start turning up your distortion/overdrive/fuzz or whatever....keep turning it up as long as it keeps sounding better....once you have it sounding as cool as possible slowly turn up the volume beyond three and see if it gets louder or just crappier. If you want a heavier sound turn up the high and the low and turn down the mid...you can go as far as high 10, mid 0, low 10... that sounds awesome with palm muting and drop D tuning (if you think that kind heavy is awesome). For Nirvana all 7's is good.
If your practicing with other people that are way louder then you are...do the simple thing and put your amp on a chair or something higher so its closer to your ears.... I've helped so many bands that were just starting out reorganize they're practice set up...they always have these tiny amps on the floor...so simple...ear closer to speaker= louder. Lemme know if any of that helps.
EQing is one of the things I've been doing most recently, trying to figure out without reading anything about it - and yeah I totally understand where you're coming from with it. I've used tons of EQ methods and programs and for a full, heavy sound, make sure that your "Low" setting is high and your "High" setting is mid-high. You need room for other sounds to come out of the speaker, though, so let the bass have the majority of the "Mid" and the drum mics should get the remainder of the "High" "Mid" and "Low" for the best "band" effect. I've been primarily fucking around with guitar/electronic dominated shit just because I'm trying to figure out different aspects of production, and EQ is possibly the most important aspect of mastering and production.

Normally I'd keep the bass on the "Low" setting, but I've found that it sounds clearer and less muddy when it's "Mid" setting is up more and the guitar dominating the "Low" setting makes it sound heavy as fuck.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel »

Bury your amp under the ground for a few days. Its the only way to get a decent distortion.

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

i've read ALL of them..

but..you STILL dont listen..

i have NO money for pedals..

and my amp has :
An overdrive BUTTON (yes.. a BUTTON)
Bass 1-10
Treble 1-10
Volume 1-10

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel »

Laimonel wrote:Bury your amp under the ground for a few days. Its the only way to get a decent distortion.
+ Volume to 11 then.
And you can add some sandpaper to your pick. It helps.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Checks wrote:i've read ALL of them..

but..you STILL dont listen..

i have NO money for pedals..

and my amp has :
An overdrive BUTTON (yes.. a BUTTON)
Bass 1-10
Treble 1-10
Volume 1-10
I never said anything about spending any money.