Grunge Forum

Come and join us because it's lonely underground.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am 
Grunge fan

im new to bass guitar i play a four string B.C. Rich Warlock and a have a c80 orange amp im trying to start a grunge band any advice on starting a band writing grunge lyrics and any help with bass like songs i should know for shure and good distortion pedals ive never used a forum and this is my first post so im sorry if this doesnt make sense or if i posted it in the wrong section im just trying to do grunge right and not **** it up

:weird: :weird: :weird:

Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Grunge God

I think you should probably practice and learn Bass, and then Grunge Bass before you make a band. I'm not a bassist, but I'm sure that Nirvana couldn't hurt to learn. Stone Temple Pilot's bassist is really good, so try that out too.

Also, writing lyrics isn't something you can teach or learn. It's just something you eventually figure out how to do on your own after a lot of thinking and self-reflection. Write about your own experiences, don't try to fit into the style just because of what some already-famous song's lyrics are like.

It'll take time, I advise not starting a band until you've got a good feel and you can play a good amount of music all the way through without messing up, at the right tempo. I know a lot of people who think that they get an instrument and have never played, but they can make a band and be successful - It's not like that. You gotta practice, and practice a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm 

Distortion pedals for bass is not something I'd recommend, not only is it completely useless (toying around with most amps I've played can get you a similar effect), but also just.. dumb. Bass is more fun than guitar, because it's different, is supposed to have that smooth, deep growl. Basslines're supposed to be the base of a song, not a blurry, noisy cloud that swallows the whole band.

What I do recommend, on the other hand, is learning how to use periods. I mean, no offence, but you got them between the 'B' and 'C' in yer bass' name, why not use them where they're supposed to? Split your writing into sentances, man, or else you'll confuse the reader. Or maybe just me. Or something.

I also agree with Slugg on really learning how to play before starting a band. Also on the Nirvana part. I mean, all of Nirvana's stuff're real easy, perfect for... anyone, more or less.

Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm 
Grunge God

Onion Rat wrote:
Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

Well, if the bass itself is bad, it's a good one to start out with. Learning how to play on a piece of shit instrument usually makes it much easier to become accustomed to any of the same instrument afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm 

Slugg wrote:
Onion Rat wrote:

Well, if the bass itself is bad, it's a good one to start out with. Learning how to play on a piece of shit instrument usually makes it much easier to become accustomed to any of the same instrument afterwards.
What I meant was that it's a lot of posers' first and last bass, because they buy it for its 'metal-awesome-loooks'. I do agree with you on that, thought, at least partly. I think your first instrument should be the best shitty one you can find freaking cheap. Stear clear of Epiphones, and evil fender-copies from "brands" like Encore. I swear, some instruments don't want you to play them, and if you do, they'll puke in your lap and make you scream for your mommy. Instruments for a newbie should make it easy for them to learn, not scare them off.

And.. the bass isn't very bad, it's just I really can't get myself to like it. If played well, through an okay amp, you can probably do just as much with it as any other in its price range. I find it really uncomfortable -when sitting down- and altough the sound is quite neat most of the time, I don't like the pickups much, 'cuz I'm really picky. Hah.

I could talk bass for hours. 8D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm 
Grunge God

Onion Rat wrote:
Slugg wrote:
Onion Rat wrote:

What I meant was that it's a lot of posers' first and last bass, because they buy it for its 'metal-awesome-loooks'. I do agree with you on that, thought, at least partly. I think your first instrument should be the best shitty one you can find freaking cheap. Stear clear of Epiphones, and evil fender-copies from "brands" like Encore. I swear, some instruments don't want you to play them, and if you do, they'll puke in your lap and make you scream for your mommy. Instruments for a newbie should make it easy for them to learn, not scare them off.

And.. the bass isn't very bad, it's just I really can't get myself to like it. If played well, through an okay amp, you can probably do just as much with it as any other in its price range. I find it really uncomfortable -when sitting down- and altough the sound is quite neat most of the time, I don't like the pickups much, 'cuz I'm really picky. Hah.

I could talk bass for hours. 8D

I wish I could get into bass. I just...I really love how a guitar sounds. Bass is cool, but it's more of a rhythm than a lead. I also like the voice more than any other instrument...because I'm a singer myself. Go figure!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Grunge God

If your starting up a band the best advice I can give you is find dedicated people...pick one night a week and stick to it...don't change every week then people will come up with reasons for ditching practice...and changing to nights other people can't do and stuff falling apart. If your just practicing on your own and wanna come up with your own stuff as opposed to going to the trouble of learning someone elses stuff then grab a keyboard with a beat bank and turn that on so your playing in time to something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Grunge fan

Actually i bought this bass because yes i am just starting out. i bought this bass used from a friend for 100 bucks thats the only reason i have it. im not a metalhead wannabe im a teen whos father just died and my mum's being a dirty whore about it so i tried finding an outlet. so i decided on bass (im not looking to sound petty or anything i just wanted to explain the situation).anyway im loving every minute of playing it. thats what my lyrics were about so far but i didnt think people would wanna hear some story about my personal problems so in terms of lyrics i mean should it be hypathetical and metaphors. thank you for the advice on no distortion it saves me money :lol: .And i looked up tabs for lithium my favorite song by nirvana it was easy but sounded great. i spose your alright in terms of starting a band once IM prepared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:53 pm 
Grunge God

Sorry to hear about your situation, man. We've all got our problems, it's what makes us human.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it's all about dedication to the instrument. If you really like playing the instrument, and you play it for hours, you can't really go wrong. You don't have to get too complicated, as long as you're letting some emotion or expression out through the music.

...I'm a singer, though. Not a bassist. I think it's probably the same regardless of the instrument, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm 
Grunge fan

thank you slugg i appreciate the input

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
Grunge God

Not a problem! I hope you have some fun with that bass, and when you've got a good grip, your band goes well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm 
Grunge God

music is the best outlet...you can use it to express any emotion so its comforting. In tune, in time and in key are the main things you have to worry about with a band...but above all have fun doing what you love. Check out some distortion pedals at a music shop...you don't need em but whatevers fun and inspires you is cool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 am 

Bloom-dude, does your amp have a 'gain' knob? If it does, turn it up to 100%, treble to 80-100%, bass to 0-20%, middle to anything you think sounds good, and volume a bit down so you don' hurt yer ears. That pushes the amp into distorting your otherwise smoothingly calm basslines. Bass effects are usually a bit expensive, mostly not worth it. :P

And.. man, I'm sorry, I hope you're really able to throw the shit in your life out through your amp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 am 
Grunge prophet

Ive played guitar for like 2 and half years, and bass... 2 years.. Anyway, I do really suggest that you practise... I only knew one guy who could play awesome bass after the 3 days... And he had never played before :p But anyway, try to experiment with it... I think bass distortion works best live... If the guitarist is playing a solo, and you are a 3 man band, you can distort it so it doesnt loose its power.

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:16 am 
Grunge fan

Slugg: thanks for the support im practicing hard
Onion Rat:thanks for the advice im bout to try it in like 20 minutes