Grunge Forum

Come and join us because it's lonely underground.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am 
Offline
Grunge fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 7
im new to bass guitar i play a four string B.C. Rich Warlock and a have a c80 orange amp im trying to start a grunge band any advice on starting a band writing grunge lyrics and any help with bass like songs i should know for shure and good distortion pedals ive never used a forum and this is my first post so im sorry if this doesnt make sense or if i posted it in the wrong section im just trying to do grunge right and not **** it up

:weird: :weird: :weird:

_________________
I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.
Kurt Cobain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 5791
Location: Under an overpass, by a highway
I think you should probably practice and learn Bass, and then Grunge Bass before you make a band. I'm not a bassist, but I'm sure that Nirvana couldn't hurt to learn. Stone Temple Pilot's bassist is really good, so try that out too.

Also, writing lyrics isn't something you can teach or learn. It's just something you eventually figure out how to do on your own after a lot of thinking and self-reflection. Write about your own experiences, don't try to fit into the style just because of what some already-famous song's lyrics are like.

It'll take time, I advise not starting a band until you've got a good feel and you can play a good amount of music all the way through without messing up, at the right tempo. I know a lot of people who think that they get an instrument and have never played, but they can make a band and be successful - It's not like that. You gotta practice, and practice a lot.

_________________
Image
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:16 am
Posts: 2222
Location: Norway
Distortion pedals for bass is not something I'd recommend, not only is it completely useless (toying around with most amps I've played can get you a similar effect), but also just.. dumb. Bass is more fun than guitar, because it's different, is supposed to have that smooth, deep growl. Basslines're supposed to be the base of a song, not a blurry, noisy cloud that swallows the whole band.

What I do recommend, on the other hand, is learning how to use periods. I mean, no offence, but you got them between the 'B' and 'C' in yer bass' name, why not use them where they're supposed to? Split your writing into sentances, man, or else you'll confuse the reader. Or maybe just me. Or something.

I also agree with Slugg on really learning how to play before starting a band. Also on the Nirvana part. I mean, all of Nirvana's stuff're real easy, perfect for... anyone, more or less.

Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 5791
Location: Under an overpass, by a highway
Onion Rat wrote:
Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

Well, if the bass itself is bad, it's a good one to start out with. Learning how to play on a piece of shit instrument usually makes it much easier to become accustomed to any of the same instrument afterwards.

_________________
Image
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:16 am
Posts: 2222
Location: Norway
Slugg wrote:
Onion Rat wrote:
Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

Well, if the bass itself is bad, it's a good one to start out with. Learning how to play on a piece of shit instrument usually makes it much easier to become accustomed to any of the same instrument afterwards.
What I meant was that it's a lot of posers' first and last bass, because they buy it for its 'metal-awesome-loooks'. I do agree with you on that, thought, at least partly. I think your first instrument should be the best shitty one you can find freaking cheap. Stear clear of Epiphones, and evil fender-copies from "brands" like Encore. I swear, some instruments don't want you to play them, and if you do, they'll puke in your lap and make you scream for your mommy. Instruments for a newbie should make it easy for them to learn, not scare them off.

And.. the bass isn't very bad, it's just I really can't get myself to like it. If played well, through an okay amp, you can probably do just as much with it as any other in its price range. I find it really uncomfortable -when sitting down- and altough the sound is quite neat most of the time, I don't like the pickups much, 'cuz I'm really picky. Hah.

I could talk bass for hours. 8D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 5791
Location: Under an overpass, by a highway
Onion Rat wrote:
Slugg wrote:
Onion Rat wrote:
Your gear... Erh.. I've tried a similar amp a couple of times (I've played bass for.. like, 6 years now) and if I remember correctly, it was pretty decent. The bass guitar itself, however, I'm not a fan. Based on my own experience, that's one of the basses stereotypical, teen wannabe-metalheads pick up, play for half a year, and never touch again. It has some qualities, and although I wouldn't play one myself, I really hope it works for you... 'cuz that's the only that really matters. Yeah.

Well, if the bass itself is bad, it's a good one to start out with. Learning how to play on a piece of shit instrument usually makes it much easier to become accustomed to any of the same instrument afterwards.
What I meant was that it's a lot of posers' first and last bass, because they buy it for its 'metal-awesome-loooks'. I do agree with you on that, thought, at least partly. I think your first instrument should be the best shitty one you can find freaking cheap. Stear clear of Epiphones, and evil fender-copies from "brands" like Encore. I swear, some instruments don't want you to play them, and if you do, they'll puke in your lap and make you scream for your mommy. Instruments for a newbie should make it easy for them to learn, not scare them off.

And.. the bass isn't very bad, it's just I really can't get myself to like it. If played well, through an okay amp, you can probably do just as much with it as any other in its price range. I find it really uncomfortable -when sitting down- and altough the sound is quite neat most of the time, I don't like the pickups much, 'cuz I'm really picky. Hah.

I could talk bass for hours. 8D

I wish I could get into bass. I just...I really love how a guitar sounds. Bass is cool, but it's more of a rhythm than a lead. I also like the voice more than any other instrument...because I'm a singer myself. Go figure!

_________________
Image
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: Ontario Canada
If your starting up a band the best advice I can give you is find dedicated people...pick one night a week and stick to it...don't change every week then people will come up with reasons for ditching practice...and changing to nights other people can't do and stuff falling apart. If your just practicing on your own and wanna come up with your own stuff as opposed to going to the trouble of learning someone elses stuff then grab a keyboard with a beat bank and turn that on so your playing in time to something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Offline
Grunge fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 7
Actually i bought this bass because yes i am just starting out. i bought this bass used from a friend for 100 bucks thats the only reason i have it. im not a metalhead wannabe im a teen whos father just died and my mum's being a dirty whore about it so i tried finding an outlet. so i decided on bass (im not looking to sound petty or anything i just wanted to explain the situation).anyway im loving every minute of playing it. thats what my lyrics were about so far but i didnt think people would wanna hear some story about my personal problems so in terms of lyrics i mean should it be hypathetical and metaphors. thank you for the advice on no distortion it saves me money :lol: .And i looked up tabs for lithium my favorite song by nirvana it was easy but sounded great. i spose your alright in terms of starting a band once IM prepared.

_________________
I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.
Kurt Cobain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:53 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 5791
Location: Under an overpass, by a highway
Sorry to hear about your situation, man. We've all got our problems, it's what makes us human.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it's all about dedication to the instrument. If you really like playing the instrument, and you play it for hours, you can't really go wrong. You don't have to get too complicated, as long as you're letting some emotion or expression out through the music.

...I'm a singer, though. Not a bassist. I think it's probably the same regardless of the instrument, but I could be wrong.

_________________
Image
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm 
Offline
Grunge fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 7
thank you slugg i appreciate the input

_________________
I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.
Kurt Cobain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 5791
Location: Under an overpass, by a highway
Not a problem! I hope you have some fun with that bass, and when you've got a good grip, your band goes well.

_________________
Image
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm 
Offline
Grunge God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: Ontario Canada
music is the best outlet...you can use it to express any emotion so its comforting. In tune, in time and in key are the main things you have to worry about with a band...but above all have fun doing what you love. Check out some distortion pedals at a music shop...you don't need em but whatevers fun and inspires you is cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:16 am
Posts: 2222
Location: Norway
Bloom-dude, does your amp have a 'gain' knob? If it does, turn it up to 100%, treble to 80-100%, bass to 0-20%, middle to anything you think sounds good, and volume a bit down so you don' hurt yer ears. That pushes the amp into distorting your otherwise smoothingly calm basslines. Bass effects are usually a bit expensive, mostly not worth it. :P

And.. man, I'm sorry, I hope you're really able to throw the shit in your life out through your amp.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 am 
Offline
Grunge prophet
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 2482
Location: Stavanger- Norway
Ive played guitar for like 2 and half years, and bass... 2 years.. Anyway, I do really suggest that you practise... I only knew one guy who could play awesome bass after the 3 days... And he had never played before :p But anyway, try to experiment with it... I think bass distortion works best live... If the guitarist is playing a solo, and you are a 3 man band, you can distort it so it doesnt loose its power.

_________________
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grunge bass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:16 am 
Offline
Grunge fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 7
Slugg: thanks for the support im practicing hard
Onion Rat:thanks for the advice im bout to try it in like 20 minutes

_________________
I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.
Kurt Cobain


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group