Lame things bands do on stage...pet peeves

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Re: Lame things bands do on stage...pet peeves

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

People can't be sumarized for easy reference, stereotypes are stupid, and generalizitations aren't very accurate most of the time. I know that. Still, I have my reasons to form my own general distrust, and there's no need for you to understand or try to change that.
Canucker wrote:
SKUNCHBAG wrote:You're a fool if you believe our sexuality does not affect the way we think and feel.
Thats the gayest thing I've ever heard.
I agree.
ljubim te, Karin
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Post by XsInMyEyes »

Bring their political views into their performances :roll:
--
Thankfully, few bands are so egotistical and entitled -- but there's a massive difference between integrating one's opinions into their music; which is artistic and intelligent... and yelling about your opinions on stage, because that isn't clever in the slightest, its just shallow, angry virtue-signalling which is inevitably going to cause fights and arguments among fans.
--
It won't make your music fair any better commercially -- people listen to bands and artists because they enjoy and appreciate their artistic creations, not because they like the way you think -- but it may drive potential fans away from your music if you're just going to alienate folk who think differently (yes, Ted Nugent and Billy Joe Armstrong, I'm looking at you lads), one of the beautiful things about music is that it brings people together, and at least some-- R.E.M, Foo Fighters, Kiss, Sex Pistols --- are able to recognize this.
I mean, I do not like Boris Johnson, but if he enjoyed a song that I wrote, then I would be happy for him
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time. It's still unfashionable to beleive in principles.Let the Music Play.

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occam
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Hmmmmm I don't know really. If it's an outspoken political act like RATM I kind of expect them to do that. There should be some amount of congruence between a band's or an artist's agenda and general profile and what they say and do on stage.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?