Who are YOUR musical influences???

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Re: Who are YOUR musical influences???

Post by TheBrothersMudd »

I've really listening to Einastrounaut and Cody Weber on Youtube. I really like their music, two modern artists that I really wish we're bigger than they are now, or maybe not, people tend ruin shit when they know about it.
yep
Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

TheBrothersMudd wrote:I've really listening to Einastrounaut and Cody Weber on Youtube. I really like their music, two modern artists that I really wish we're bigger than they are now, or maybe not, people tend ruin shit when they know about it.
Isn't Cody the one who works with Terroja Kincaid? :)
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why
TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd »

Sorlag wrote:
TheBrothersMudd wrote:I've really listening to Einastrounaut and Cody Weber on Youtube. I really like their music, two modern artists that I really wish we're bigger than they are now, or maybe not, people tend ruin shit when they know about it.
Isn't Cody the one who works with Terroja Kincaid? :)
yeah, I don't think they do anymore tho
yep
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Post by XsInMyEyes »

I think that anyone and anything has the potential to influence me.
-- --
• The Proclaimers -- I saw so much passion and spirit in their minimalist approach on This is The Story that it inspired me to play acoustic music, their Scottish brogue that embellished their melodic styling inspired me to sing in my own accent
• Steven Tyler -- charisma captain of Aerosmith and the quintessential purveyor of classic 1970s bluesy metal sleaze, who inspired me to become a singer, and to sing not be pretty, but to be gritty! I proclaimed my middle name "Tyler" for a reason!
• Richey Edwards -- the missing Manic and a truly sophisticated young writer, who enlightened my own songwriting with a worldly, yet punk-fierce lyrical edge
•James Dean Bradfield -- not only the greatest singer currently living, but a smashing guitarist too... had I not been lucky enough to hear the articulate, yet pensive riffing that graces "Mototcycle Emptiness", then I may never have been so galvanized to play guitar seriously.
•Neil Young -- Instilled me with the drive to write somber songs from despair and frustration, that melancholy nuances offered a world of poetic possibilities. I don't do solos much, but when I do, I try to get lost in the same jungle of musicality that Neil does!
•Ian Gillan -- the unconcealed fervour in Gillan's vocals, and the sheer power he conveyed whilst retaining mountains of individuality is an outstanding quality that I hope to carry a torch for
• Ritchie Blackmore -- The maestro. I will almost definitely never be one-fifth as good a guitarist as Blackmore with his gorgeous solos, but the determination will still Burn!
• Bon Scott - Bon sang "I wanna Be a Rock and Roll Singer", and this defiant Aussie rock stomp ignited my lust, to become a rocker!
•Jim Morrison -- broodingly poetic lyrics and the progenitor of loud rock born of anguish, I hope to add my individuality to the physiognomy of the Doors' sound
•Michael Stipe -- the almost Delphic southern-gospel style of Stipe's lyrics allowed me to advance my own to more abstract extremes
•Tom Waits -- a Parnassian lyricist, I listen to his music often before putting pencil to paper, hoping to capture my own metaphysical songcraft.
•Phil Lynott -- one of a generation's most imaginative lyricists, combining Irish working-class airs with a marriage of Celtic and Oriental culture, and I hoped to achieve an equally charismatic amalgam
• Shauna Yseult -- the chick who inspired me to pick up a bass, and pummel at infectious grooves
• Johnny Rotten -- to come from nothing, with a thirst for Detroit rock rawness, and produce what leaves its mark as a masterwork, is quite flummoxing but nontheless inspiratinal!
• Paul Stanley -- Kiss's music was more minimalist that many give them credit (!) for, and playing rock down to its bare elements, while succeeding in creating a truly electrifying style, was a real catalyst for my own rhythm guitar!
• Iggy Pop -- because he's been rock's most positively crazy personality since Day 1, I hope never to loose the energy of youth that he carried on for decades past his peak! He's the godfather of all that is raw and aggressive in rock too!
•Jerry Cantrell -- One of the many fantastic players that make up my favourite band, Cantrell's guitar speaks volumes though a single note, I thoroughly wish that there is not only an element of that in my playing, but furthermore of his ringing acoustic playing, sludgy grunge riffs, and an evident passion for music that genuinely moves.
• Layne Staley -- the singer of my favourite band, who brought to life both his own and Cantrell's poetic word through haunting, tortured, yet beautiful vocals, I aspire to purvey my own lyrics, and to interpret the creations of others, with profundity that stand's on Staley's shoulders!
• Gavin Rossdale -- finding a British grunger made me feel a deep connection, and I was determined to follow his footsteps.
•Kurt Cobain -- I felt a deep connection to the icon of alienation, and he inspired me to make youthful dejection integral to my writing. and his thunderous power-chord changes and quiet loud dynamics, the second that I heard them, the gorgeous minimalism connected again, and I was assured to incorporate it into my style!
•Joey Santiago -- I adored the bite that his gnawing guitar gave to the music of the Pixies, and was definitely energized to find a way of integrating it into my own music (only in the right places, of course!)
• Bruce Springsteen -- the Boss, and I think that he furnished my style with the variance between fiery defiance, and reflective melancholia
-- --
All in all, however, I opine that my biggest influence is coming from my hometown, and having the stories that I feel defined my life...
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time. It's still unfashionable to beleive in principles.Let the Music Play.

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occam