Recording....

For musicians and wannabe musicians. Talk about your own band and experiences with playing music and feel free to share your music with us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Canucker
Grunge God

Recording....

Post by Canucker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 pm

So when you guys are mixing stuff how far do you pan each instrument/vocals????

yes I know that when you start mixing you should do it all in Mono.

Yes I know that lead Vocals, bass drum, bass and guitar solos should be left centre.

ssooooo how far are you panning doubled guitar tracks, back up vocals, drum parts (other then bass drum) and lead vocals if doubled?????????

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Re: Recording....

Post by Squidtard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:46 am

From my understanding, you'd pan the drums in relation to where you'd hear it from if you were stood in front of it. So if you had recorded some Overhead Lefts you'd pan them to the left etc...

In terms of anything else it's pretty much your call.
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

yeah there are a million differing opinions..... there are countless opinions online yet the flood of them are for "pop music" and if you find "rock" or "punk" its music that would make any sane person puke.....like sounds like backstreet boys playing guitar..... I like to double the same guitar line and pan them a full 100 percent left and right..... a guy I work with says no way 40 percent each direction...... another says go widest with drums....up to 100 with bass drums of course middle and then guitars about 70 percent each way..... just wanted to see what you guys had been doing or hearing seeing as we listen to real music!

whiteflies
Grunge fan

Post by whiteflies » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:38 pm

hi, nice post here :)
you mention basic rules you find everywhere on the net but bear in mind there are no rules at all to go with it;
if you take some great reference albums like Black Sabbath (early records) and Nirvana Nevermind, you'll notice
that the center of the field is used only for a couple of things like kick and vocals (doubled), the doubled
guitar panned in the classic manner (95% right - 15% left) and the bass gently panned but never dead center,
this to reproduce the "illusion" of a band playing live on a stage - the drums is panned just as it is in front of you.