Next Concert your going to??

This is where we talk about any and all live music. What shows have you seen? What are you seeing next?

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Next Concert your going to??

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Dude!
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:Dude!
Exactly!
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:08 pm

evee103 wrote:I BOUGHT TICKETS FOR TRULY PLAYING IN NYC. YOU GUYS.
Awesome
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:03 am

Have fun Evee. :mrgreen:
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

sadie

Post by sadie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:52 am

evee103 wrote:I BOUGHT TICKETS FOR TRULY PLAYING IN NYC. YOU GUYS.
!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you! have funfunfun! Also, pictures.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:36 am

So yesterday we got outta work early and made our way over to the train station. Got a train to ny, walked for about an hour across town to get to this little hole in the wall place where Truly was playing. Their opening act was Ohnomoon(Oh no moon) and they were really good, they had a similar sound to Truly but with an adorable girl singing/playing geetar.

I can't even express what an awesome night it was! Small venue, small crowd of about 25-30? So we were right there in front of the stage. They had a fourth person on stage with this funky two-tier red keyboard making all those signature sounds. And I guess last minute Mark decided to not tour because I think he's either having or just had a baby? So they had this guy Mike fill in, and he awesome on drums. SO they played Blue Flame Ford, Twilight Curtains, Heart and Lungs, Public Access Girls, EM7, Come Hither, and a bunch more I can't remember right now. The sound was great, my ears felt like I had cotton balls in them and it was totally worth it.

After the show we went back into the bar area and hung out for a bit. We were with probably the only other two die-hard fans in the venue just kinda talkin life and music with the guys. It was pretty sweet how down-to-earth and chill they were. You know, when you feel like you've known someone for forever because it's just that casual? We ended up talking with Rob for quite a bit, about the whole Seattle sound, where the city is at now, Portland, etc. He say saying how they were considered grunge and they formed during that era, but they had kind of a different sound, and so I threw out "grungeadelic" and I don't think he's ever heard of that but he liked the word :lol: He said his family moved out of Seattle because it was getting too expensive. It's not how it used to be, and after going to Montreal after 10+ years, and even going to Ny after 4 years, no cities ever stay the same. Portland, however, is much cheaper which is why people are flocking there, though I'm sure that will change as well at some point.

Anyways, here's a picture we got from the night!
We mentioned to Rob that we wanted a picture of the whole band and he made it a point to not forget and round 'em up by the end of the night. All around just really nice people :D
Attachments
Truly.jpg
Truly.jpg (157.43 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:08 am

Evee, you have no hint of an idea of how gelus I am right now. I was about to post about the show my new favorte band La Luz played in my town which I was lucky enough to catch, but it simply pales in comparison. I'm so happy that you got to meet them and tell them people still care about them! Hopefully they'll make it across the pond too one day! :D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:10 pm

My ears were so happy, such a cool experience! But La Luz is nothing to sneeze at, they're amazing! How was that show?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:50 am

I was just about to write about it! :D

It was a really small venue, basically a bar with a tiny, slightly elevated stage without a backstage are or anything. I had a parents meeting in my school right until an hour before the gig started and arrived precisely one and a half minute before the band started playing! The place was already packed but luckily there was a bench about four meters away from the stage that I could stand on and watch the show rather comfortably and also do a few crappy snapshots with my phone (one of them to be seen below).

They blazed through the set really really tightly and they also seemed to have a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the show that consisted about 50:50 of their first and their current second album ("Weirdo Shrine", if you're remotely into powerful twangy surf rock and eerily beautiful all female vocals, this is THE band and album for you!).

Sadly, due to volume curfew they could only play about 50 minutes but since their albums are of classic half-hour length (which is all you need really if the songs and the delivery are strong enough, which they definitely are with this band) it made sense too. After they finished their gig the band walked outside through the crowd - like I said, no backstage area - and I seized the opportunity to talk to them. Their singer and guitarist Shana Cleveland really is a mysterious person, whereas the keyboard player and the drummer were a bit more talkative. Then I got to meet the bassist, Lena Simon, who is not just a fantastic musician but also stunningly beautiful (don't tell my wife, kay? :) :lol: ) and was kind enough to share some of their tour experiences as well as music preferences with me.
Of course with the band being from Seattle, I had to ask her if she was into any classic Seattle stuff. (In hindsight and after having read some interviews with the band I feel kinda stupid for asking such an unoriginal question. Well, you can't be eloquent all the time.) Funnily enough, she confessed that she never really liked Nirvana until lately but was into Hendrix. I also asked her if there were any bands from the region she could recommend and she told me about Shannon and the Clams who are also really good. (They're from California, in fact, but on the same label as La Luz and definitely worth a listen if you're into campy surfy trashy stuff like the B-52's or the Cramps.)

Of course, I was too shy to ask the band to have their picture taken with me, give the fact that they had just played a gig at lightning speed and probably just wanted to recover a bit. I did ask them to sign their first album which I bought after the gig, so my music geek's heart was definitely happy with the evening. Hey, I even got home before time which made my wife even happier! :P :lol:

Moral of the story: Keep your eyes and ears open because there are so damn many GREAT little bands out there who really deserve your support AND know how to play a mean show.
Attachments
La Luz.jpg
La Luz.jpg (61.05 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:58 pm

evee103 wrote:Portland, etc.
That sounds like a great experience! I'm so happy for you that you got to go! That also reminds me, I only recently found out that Portland is a 2.5 - 3 hour drive from Seattle (I'm so used to California being such a long state that I forget it's quicker to drive from state to state elsewhere). So if I end up having the gas money for it, once I get up there I think I'll take a trip down there eventually. Maybe I'll check out Olympia some time too.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:31 pm

The Sword, in New York. Again. for the 4th time. They're so goood.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:11 am

David Gilmour Live @Schloss Schönbrunn in Vienna :)

sadie

Post by sadie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:16 am

I AM GOING TO SEE AFGHAN WHIGS LIVE AFTER ALL! I don't know why the world is being so good to me now. I haven't been this excited about anything since the baby was born!
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 am

Fucking King's X are actually coming back to Europe after SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. Given the guys' median age (dUg Pinnick is freakin' 66/67 now!) I wouldn't have bet on them returning at all but they're even playing just a mere ten minutes away from my place :D

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Lanegan in November. Can't wait!