What Makes Out Of Focus so cool?

Seattle's odd and unusual band blending psychedelic guitars, pulsating rhythms, driving beats and heartfelt vocals.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: What Makes Out Of Focus so cool?

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you. So many great bands, it's all so overwhelming. I went to Seattle last year for my 18th birthday, and it was really cool. I even saw some guys in flannel with long hair, and I haven't seen that since I was little in the 90s. I didn't get to go to the park by Kurt's house or Jimi Hendrix's grave though, but I'm sure I will eventually.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah I know! I started getting records when I was very young, just kept it going.

Along with the Kurt park and Hendrix site you must see what's left of the club scene in Seattle. It's amazing going to where places once stood and seeing those that are still standing. It's amazing to get that retrospective. I know the Off Ramp is still open and one other major one that i'm forgetting....But that would be a damn great trip to take!!

And the long-haired, flannel wearing dudes are probably into Iron & Wine and Flight Of The Conchords, those indie bands taken the style from us :roll: oh welllll

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:34 pm

Ha, oh yeah, I'm not really much into the new indie bands, like I heard them raving about the Avi Buffalo song, so I checked it out, and I was like, this is nice, but WHERE"S THE ROCK! Yeah, I missed out on the club stuff too, it was mainly a touristy type of trip. We were only there for 4 days. I got to walk by the Crocodile Cafe though, that was pretty cool, though it was closed that night so I couldn't go in or check out anyone playing. We took a tour on a bus, and the tour lady was So nice, like she wanted to be on a first name basis woth everyone, and she talked to me about grunge, and the movie Singles and stuff, and we drove past the Showbox, but that was the first time I had ever heard of it, so when the tour was over I forgot where it was and couldn't check that one out fully either. I remember the first thing I noticed about Seattle, and my favorite thing for some reason, was that all around town there were all these poles with old remnants of band posters all over them, and I had never seen that before, and I've even been to L.A. a few times, and somehow it just made the vibe, and I think by the Croc there were posters of the different bands that were playing soon. No one I had heard of though, except The Wedding Present, and I've only heard that band's name, don't really know the music. The EMP was great though, the whole grunge section was cool, I especially remember Mark Arm's big dirty shoes. I first just wanted to move to Seattle because my favorite bands come from there, then as I started to know more and more bands I thought I'd feel like a poser if I knew of and loved that many bands from Seattle and wanted to sound like that and didn't live there, and since I never found any other grungers, I was the only non emo kid in school let alone person that had ever even heard the word grunge, so I figured I should move there for a better chance at finding like-minded grunge people, but then after finding out a lot of stuff about Seattle, it became a town where I'd totally move there even if I had never heard the music. It just seems to vibe.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm

I thought the Croc closed down???? I read somewhere they had legal and money issues so they were forced to shut it down, unless they reopened it under new management or something.

I WANT TO GO TO EMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Nirvana's and PJ anniversaries they're doing somethng big and I wish I was there to fucking see it! I;ve been to their website and it looks amazing. I wish I could go there, and without sounding completely nerdy/dorky I actually was looking into that place for a job :lol: Since 95% of my record collection is seattle or northwest bands, I figured why not just donate them all and work there at the same time?! But i'll dream about it, all I can do :lol:

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 pm

The Croc reopened like 2 years after it closed by the same people. They have a Nirvana:Taking Punk to the Masses exhibit now at the EMP. I haven't seen it though. I don't know what they have special for Pearl Jam. We got there last year like a month or two before the Seattle Art Museum had a special Kurt exhibit where people have all sorts of art influenced by him or of him or whatever, so I missed out on that too. That would be cool to work there. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I get up there, I'm still trying to find a job here so I can save up money to get there, but still people aren't hiring because of the bad economy, though I've never lived in a big town like Seattle, so there would be way more things to do and jobs available there.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Yeah I figured they reopened the Croc, too influential to go by the wayside. Wish other venues had the same fortune as they did....Gorilla Gardens, featured one of the first Green River shows and the only venue where you have 4 or 5 shows going on at the same time; and the only place where you can go the hard hitting Green River or Sonic Youth set to a rap or reggae show which was playing right across the way :lol: A lot of great venues, I would love to take a trip down memory lane......Or dorky lane....Whichever sounds better.

Yeah, EMP always has a Nirvana exhibit going on, their anniversary wasn't going to be any different with that. I've seen pictures of what the exhibit looks like and it's really amazing to see all the things they managed to gather.

To answer if it's easier to find a job in a big city....No.....No it's not :lol: I live 15 minutes from NYC and there's nothing availiable, unless you have a masters in economics or law or some other major that I didn't choose. It's tough out there, but something will come up, always does.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow, I don't think I've heard of Gorilla Gardens, I think I only know a few names of clubs. I think I heard the Vogue closed down, I kept seeing pictures of Mother Love Bone written on different walls around Seattle and I think one of them was at the Vogue, but I heard they painted over that. I would love to see that, names of my favorite bands written allover walls and sidewalks and stuff. I always wanted to do that. I grew up in a medium sized town that I love, but then we moved to a small town, and there aren't any clubs or record stores around, so I'm not used to that type of atmosphere, and I would totally be a go to rock shows type of person. Oh well, I will eventually.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 am

Yeah The Vogue was the other one that closed that I couldn't think of...And I think RckCandy and Ok Hotel also closed down which would be extremely sad.

There aren't any record stores or anything near you??? Where do you live? :lol:

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh yeah, Ok Hotel I heard got damaged in an earthquake. I was around that area and tried to find it, so I took pictures of that area, but don't know if I got it or not. I heard it was also the place for the coffee shop in the movie Singles. I grew up in a town called Moreno Valley, CA, but then we moved to a town called Yucaipa, which I always hated and never fit in with, and the only thing here is fast food joints. I only found one record store and that was in Riverside, which is next to Moreno Valley, and I went to elementary school in Riverside, so it's maybe like a 45 minute drive. And even though I started working on my driving stuff when I was 15 and wanted to since I was 14, it seems like life just happened to get in the way and I still don't have my license, so I can't really drive anywhere. Too bad I don't live in L. A. I live inland. But at least I got to grow up in Riverside County CA, which is where the desert rockers like Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age come from, though I'm not from the desert either.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Oh wow, that's lame that you don't have a record place near you :( Must be tough....And online shopping must be your way of getting some great things!!! Which isn't always bad either :)

I don't have that problem though, there's a record store every block....It's nice, but at the same time it's a pain in the ass to get too a few of them because some of the areas aren't the best, and driving there with all the traffic sucks....But I make do....I would suggest you either download some albums in the DL section, their the full albums and i'm sure you'll like some of those...

At least you know you'll always have a Kyuss or QOTSA shows going on every now and again :lol:

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah, a lot of the CDs I've bought I've bought from amazon or ebay, though I don't have all that many cds, I filled up a backpack, but I've stopped buying stuff since I wanted to save up money. I hate the clothes of today too, so I try to either look for thrift stores or look on ebay, luckily i found a whole bunch of those cool grunge dresses with the little flowers all over them that I saw my mom wear in the 90s and loved by typing in 90s grunge on ebay, so I bought one, but my boobs were too big to fit, so I would rather find cool clothes in stores that I could try on, but oh well. And I really wanted to find records by Calamity Jane, Feast, 64 Spiders, Bundle of Hiss etc., but I know I won't be able to find any in so. Cal anyway. Thanks, I didn't even notice a DL section. I'll try and find it
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:24 pm

I have a 64 Spiders and Bundle Of Hiss records....Of course I hate to brag :P

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Ha, that's awesome. I've found some stuff from the Lamestain and Northwest Noise blogs, so I do have some digital stuff, but I want the actual thing to hold in my hand. I also thought it was cool in Seattle that I passed by two Doc Martens stores around town, though I'm a vegetarian, so I won't wear leather, but I always thought it looked like the perfect boot.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 pm

They have stores dedicated to Docs? That's pretty sweet....Even though your a Vegitarian you should still buy a pair, at least to hang up in your room and admire :lol:

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Yep, the Dr. Martens store. Ha, actually I found a vegan knock off pair on ebay that I love. I took a photo of a Dr. Martens sign that was hanging right below one of the stores on Alaskan Way in the Pioneer Square district. The other store was maybe on 2nd ave. when we were going to the Croc. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=47 ... 6,,2,-3.34
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud