Where would Nirvana be if Kurt lived...

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

TellTheWorld
Grunge fan

Where would Nirvana be if Kurt lived...

Post by TellTheWorld »

Long broken up and Kurt doing solo stuff?
Still packing 'em in like Pearl Jam?
Struggling to fill the lower bowl of arenas like STP?
Recording tracks with rap artists like Cornell?

Your thoughts?
j-bug
Site Admin

Re: Where would Nirvana be if Kurt lived...

Post by j-bug »

buired in obscurity.

hyped till they broke,then left for dead.

they had no where higher to go.

nothing more to do.
:twisted:
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

kurt was going to quit thats why he turned down lollapolza, he said once, i dont want to be playing louie louie for charity concerts. and even in the serve the servants, he knew he couldnt be angst ridden forever, he opened with, "teenaged angst has paid off well, now im bored and old".

dave would of gone on to be in the Foo fighters, and krist would of done the same thing he has been doing, (Flipper, politics)

and the whole nirvana thing would of died off
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!
infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

I think they would've broken up possibly after In Utero but definitely after the next album, if they stayed together that long (which probably would have been even better than In Utero). Dave and Krist probably would have faded into obscurity while Kurt went on to make some albums that pissed off his fans by being very different from the Nirvana stuff. I'm sure eventually at least one would have been critically acclaimed. Dave would have done Foo Fighters but they would be dogged by constant comparisons to Nirvana. Or maybe Kurt would have done some stuff with Hole. I know Courtney is a huge liar, but she said he enjoyed playing with them more than he did Nirvana at the time, and they did do a fair amount of recording together if I'm not mistaken. hmmm
TellTheWorld
Grunge fan

Post by TellTheWorld »

I think he even wrote some songs on Live Through This...
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

i know that hole covered many a nirvana song, and he did write old age, which i know is a hole song

FOREVER!
infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

TellTheWorld wrote:I think he even wrote some songs on Live Through This...
No, no he didn't. Seriously, even though I'm not the hugest fan of Live Through This, it gets tiring. So here's my rant.

First of all, the best songs on that album (''Violet' and ''Doll Parts'') and quite a few others are from 1991, before Kurt and Courtney ever got serious and most likely even before they met. This is documented fact due to live performances.

Not only that, but have you listened to Nirvana? Do you pay attention to their lyrics? The music may be similar in a lot of ways, especially production-wise, but Courtney at the time had some really distinctive lyrical traits. The only way it would make sense to say that Kurt influenced her lyrics on that album is if you haven't listened to Hole's first album and you looked at In Utero without realizing that Hole's lyrics influenced In Utero's lyrics massively. I mean, In Utero is even named after some lyrics she wrote. Seriously, the references to abortion, cancer, medical waste and drug use were all there and much stronger on Pretty on the Inside than on anything by Nirvana before Kurt met her.

And of course Kurt influenced Hole musically. They influenced EVERYONE. Every single band out there copied Nirvana after 1991. Do you say that Kurt wrote stuff for Stone Temple Pilots and Bush? Both of them sound like bigger Nirvana ripoffs than Hole ever did. If anything, songs like "Doll Parts" and a few others I don't remember due to not having listened to that album for a long time are very obviously Hole songs since they don't use the soft verse loud chorus thing that Nirvana and everyone else did to death. I'm pretty sure the only songs Kurt wrote without that effect after Bleach were noise songs. Plus, nothing Hole ever did had solos. Why not? Kurt's songs almost always did.

Finally, Hole did cover a lot of Nirvana songs and they did a horrible job every time I've heard. The music and playing style is so different that their covers were almost laughable.
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

infinitegrunge wrote:

Finally, Hole did cover a lot of Nirvana songs and they did a horrible job every time I've heard. The music and playing style is so different that their covers were almost laughable.
yes, we can agree on something :lol:

FOREVER!
infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

Pennyroyaltea wrote:
infinitegrunge wrote:

yes, we can agree on something :lol:
Hahahah I guess so :)
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

keep em coming!!

FOREVER!
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

yea..it makes me sad..

FOREVER!
infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

lovebattery wrote:I think I disagree with you guys there. I haven't really heard many Hole covers of Nirvana though other than "You Know You're Right", which was alright. Not the best, but I thought it was pretty good. However, I enjoy covers where the music and playing style are a bit different. For me covers are awesome if they sound a lot different than the original. Just a personal thing, but I don't see the need to recreate the original the way it already sounds. Thats for Nirvana to do. If Hole had their own playing style for the songs, which it sounded like they did a little for their cover of "You Know You're Right", then I applaud them for that! 8D
I usually like that too, and I really like some of Hole's covers, like "Over the Edge" and "Hot Chocolate Boy" but the thing is, I don't think they ever practiced their Nirvana covers that much and they were really sloppy. I mean for the "You Know You're Right" one I think she even forgot the words a bunch of times.
I agree with everything else that you said though infinitegrunge dude! :geek:
:D Thanks
As for the main topic I'm not sure I really know what to say for that. Its kind of impossible for us to know I guess, because any of those things could have happened. :D Even the recording tracks with rap artists. :lol: I mean seriously, I'm sure nobody thought that Chris Cornell would be doing that back in 1994. :lol:
Yeah but he's always been more desirous of fame that Kurt was, at least it's always seemed that way to me.
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

yea...i just will never understand cris cornell, i just wont. timerland...whose next maddona?

FOREVER!
infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge »

Pennyroyaltea wrote:yea...i just will never understand cris cornell, i just wont. timerland...whose next maddona?
Haha. I doubt Madonna would work with him. As much as I hate her music, she usually gets people who will pull her up and further her career, not people who are already sinking.
Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

i think he did to, eveyone wanted to the beatles

FOREVER!