Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Post Reply
User avatar
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Location: Scotland

Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’. I’ve always thought the intro to Bush’s ‘Bonedriven’ sounded a bit like that to ‘Heart Shaped Box’ . There’s also Oasis's ‘Married with Children’, whose intro somewhat resembles an acoustic version of that to Lithium.

Exoddus
Grunge fan
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Exoddus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 am

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm
Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’.
Regarding Kurt Cobain. He ripped of Killing Joke's Eighties for Come As You Are anyway. I think Dave Grohl drummed for them on a couple of shows to keep them happy. Smells like teen spirit sounds like Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. There are others but that's the two which come to mind.

So it happens no matter who you are.
Image

User avatar
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Exoddus wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 am
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm
Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’.
Regarding Kurt Cobain. He ripped of Killing Joke's Eighties for Come As You Are anyway. I think Dave Grohl drummed for them on a couple of shows to keep them happy. Smells like teen spirit sounds like Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla.
Didn't Kurt Cobain base Smells Like Teen Spirit's opening riff on 'More Than A Feeling By Boston'?

Checks
Grunge God
Posts: 6559
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:39 am
Location: Sheepworld

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Checks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am

Nah, It's more The Kingsmen - Louie Louie, same riff, less distortion
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

User avatar
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 am

Checks wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am
Nah, It's more The Kingsmen - Louie Louie, same riff, less distortion
You certainly could be right. But I feel the riff in SLTS closer resembles that in More Than A Feeling than it does the riff at the start of Louie Louie.

User avatar
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 am

And Little Things by Bush has to be another one, with parts of that sounding suspiciously like SLTS.

Post Reply