Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’. I’ve always thought the intro to Bush’s ‘Bonedriven’ sounded a bit like that to ‘Heart Shaped Box’ . There’s also Oasis's ‘Married with Children’, whose intro somewhat resembles an acoustic version of that to Lithium.

Exoddus
Grunge fan

Re: Songs that ripoff Nirvana.

Post by Exoddus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 am

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm
Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’.
Regarding Kurt Cobain. He ripped of Killing Joke's Eighties for Come As You Are anyway. I think Dave Grohl drummed for them on a couple of shows to keep them happy. Smells like teen spirit sounds like Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. There are others but that's the two which come to mind.

So it happens no matter who you are.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Exoddus wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 am
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm
Ive noticed a few examples over the years. The song ‘Remedy’ by Seether seems to plagiarise elements of ‘Frances Farmer’ and ‘Come As You Are’.
Regarding Kurt Cobain. He ripped of Killing Joke's Eighties for Come As You Are anyway. I think Dave Grohl drummed for them on a couple of shows to keep them happy. Smells like teen spirit sounds like Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla.
Didn't Kurt Cobain base Smells Like Teen Spirit's opening riff on 'More Than A Feeling By Boston'?

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am

Nah, It's more The Kingsmen - Louie Louie, same riff, less distortion
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 am

Checks wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am
Nah, It's more The Kingsmen - Louie Louie, same riff, less distortion
You certainly could be right. But I feel the riff in SLTS closer resembles that in More Than A Feeling than it does the riff at the start of Louie Louie.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 am

And Little Things by Bush has to be another one, with parts of that sounding suspiciously like SLTS.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge fanatic

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:08 am

I love making these kinds of comparisons...Nirvana weren't entirely original themselves -- Spirit really took its opening from the closing chords of Pixies, Debaser... not Godzilla, Louie Louie or More than a Feeling -- Milk It's riffage is owed to the Melvins, It's Shoved -- Very Ape also borrowed the riff from Los Brujos, Kanishka... Kurt must've liked him some Argentine rock!
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm

I thought this thread was gonna be all about Live Through this. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 pm

> The Offspring - Self Esteem (the most obvious one)
> Puddle of Mudd - She Fuckin' Hates Me (and I fuckin hate this song)
> Silverchair - Lie To Me (Tourettes) among many others, Silverchair is a passable band though, they wrote most of their Nirvana/Pearl Jam songs when they were 13, some of which are pretty good, certainly better than most people at that age -- and Daniel Johns' later experimental art-rock material more than makes up for it.
> Bush's "Glycerine" doesn't rip on any particular Nirvana song, but it's similar enough in vocals and guitar tone to anyone without a trained ear that they'd be forgiven for finding it under Nirvana back in the days of Napster, Limewire and Kazaa (it's like that Downface song that people still 20 years on miscredit as Eddie Vedder & Layne Staley).
> Blur's "Coffee & TV" has a short solo/bridge section towards the end that sounds similar to All Apologies.
> The intro to Of Mice & Men's "Never Giving Up" sounds like Heart Shaped Box.
> All three songs by that Socotra band from a few years ago sounds like a painfully derivative rip-off combo of all of Nirvana's radio songs. It got to the point my friend made a joke that the lead singer was probably gonna off himself at 27.

Also, while, Kurt's all like "oh we're ripping off the Pixies". I, quite frankly, don't hear it at all. For the most part, Nirvana's Bleach and In Utero material is just a mishmash of Melvins, Saccharine Trust, Rites of Spring, early Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey and early Swans, with a pinch of David Yow (Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard) and The Vaselines pop sensibilities (the latter being mainly on Incesticide). I can't really speak for the Nevermind album, but Kurt said it was "essentially a Cheap Trick record" which again, I don't really hear, but I think that was just his way of insinuating it was a "pop rock" record.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge fanatic

Post by XsInMyEyes » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 am

More generally...for bands ripping off grunge -- then Id bet Peter Buck...the REM guitarist, wrote all their riffs pre-Up...was listening to himself a bit of Love Bone before he put Losing my Religion on paper -- give these two a listen, side by side...
BleedTheFreak wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 pm
> Bush's "Glycerine" doesn't rip on any particular Nirvana song, but it's similar enough in vocals and guitar tone to anyone without a trained ear that they'd be forgiven for finding it under Nirvana back in the days of Napster, Limewire and Kazaa
...its ripped though mate -- first time I heard it those chords rang bells...they are from the Only Ones, Another Girl another Planet:
I miss the comfort in being sad.